Author Topic: The Longer Apple Sticks with Motorola, the Behinder They Get  (Read 759 times)

slave

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
The Longer Apple Sticks with Motorola, the Behinder They Get
« Reply #15 on: 19 February 2003, 20:46 »
x86 appears to crash more because

1. windows 9x kernel is as unstable as the average American marriage.
2. amazing variety of hardware, half of it shoddy and prone to failure.

My computer is x86 based and never crashes or gives me hardware trouble.  But that's because I built it myself  

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #16 on: 19 February 2003, 21:19 »
The Athalon is on dual boot with Win98, and RedHat 8.

Now, as far as my claims that the G4 400 was faster,  I was not talking horsepower, I was talking eficiency. I get more done on the 400mhz running OSX than I ever could on either RedHat or Win98.

That's just a fact of life.

Now, as far as horsepower, the dual 800 I own, walks all over the Athalon. It's a steady ride on the dual8, speed is consistent. I notice that on the Athalon it's like a start and stop experience, some things are speedy, other things are butt.

In the end the G4 ownz, for what I do, 400Mhz does me good. My dual 8, does me great, my Athalon plays games and runs linux.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #17 on: 20 February 2003, 00:20 »
quote:
Originally posted by Billy Gates: Mac Comrade Captain:

I agree with this guy,  I personally hope Apple lets PPC die, and puts macs on x86.

People say im insane. x86 is crap compared to G4 or even G3. They are RISC arcitectures and have much more bogomips to the mhz then x86 chips.

"cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep bogomips" on linux will tell you.

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #18 on: 20 February 2003, 00:33 »
quote:
Originally posted by Linux User #5225982375:
x86 appears to crash more because

1. windows 9x kernel is as unstable as the average American marriage.
2. amazing variety of hardware, half of it shoddy and prone to failure.

My computer is x86 based and never crashes or gives me hardware trouble.  But that's because I built it myself      

my system is so dodgy (note: Bill Gates told IBM to use the intel 86 cpu, its all his fault!!!) that im going to plant a nuculear warhead in the intel r+d buildings and blow them off the face of the earth to insure they hurt nobody else with there poorly built hardware.

Then I will start my own company, blow up AMD, Motorola, IBM, Sun, Compaq. Then with a monopoly on the market, I will sell 8mhz Intel 80's for $500 each.

muw hahahahahahahahahahahahhaa

Well not really, but my computer is crap, my hard disk, switched to slave well my system was loading off it, for some reason. Now its stuck in slave but I can live with it (a bit). But I lost all my Linux partitions when it happened, the only one that survived was my FAT partition i use for putting my downloads and whatnot on.

Because 1 dodgy company makes cheap parts everyone buys, 1 good company should not need to make there parts crap to compete with the price. If apple do this, im going to kill them. Or mabye i should make the "Free Hardware Foundation"  

Eh, I dont know.

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #19 on: 20 February 2003, 01:33 »
quote:
Originally posted by psyjax: plain 'ol psyjax:
The Athalon is on dual boot with Win98, and RedHat 8.

Now, as far as my claims that the G4 400 was faster,  I was not talking horsepower, I was talking eficiency. I get more done on the 400mhz running OSX than I ever could on either RedHat or Win98.

That's just a fact of life.

Now, as far as horsepower, the dual 800 I own, walks all over the Athalon. It's a steady ride on the dual8, speed is consistent. I notice that on the Athalon it's like a start and stop experience, some things are speedy, other things are butt.

In the end the G4 ownz, for what I do, 400Mhz does me good. My dual 8, does me great, my Athalon plays games and runs linux.

Try Gentoo or do an LFS. That will get more done then anything. And get rid of Win98 you dirty barsted.

bossesjoe

« Reply #20 on: 20 February 2003, 02:43 »
While we are on the topic of duel operating systems is it ok to have 2 mac os system folders on one hardrive and another 2 on a external? (10.2 and 9.2) and (10.0 and 9.2). I have had many people at NIH servers tell me this is a bad idea.

M$ is proof that capitalism has failed.-Macman

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #21 on: 20 February 2003, 03:39 »
quote:
Originally posted by bossesjoe:
While we are on the topic of duel operating systems is it ok to have 2 mac os system folders on one hardrive and another 2 on a external? (10.2 and 9.2) and (10.0 and 9.2). I have had many people at NIH servers tell me this is a bad idea.

Not nexissarly a bad idea, just kinda useless.

First off, I would keep your OS9 System well clear of your OS10 system by either installing it on a separet partition or a separete HardDrive.

The seperet hardrive is the best choice. Once you got this done you should create a designated swap partition for OSX it helps things run smoother.

Finally, why the hell do you keep a copy of the old OSX and a copy of Jaguyre? Why not just upgrade the old copy, or better yet, dump it all together.

I also wouldent use an external HD as a boot device, they are better for storage due to thrughput and FirmWare compatability issues.

That's my take.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

bossesjoe

« Reply #22 on: 20 February 2003, 03:57 »
Thanks i am going to do that, I installed that extra 10 during a time of trouble when i was into usering sudo (superuser) on the terminal and messed up jag. I got kinda paranoid and installed an extra os.

M$ is proof that capitalism has failed.-Macman