Author Topic: First impressions..  (Read 420 times)

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
First impressions..
« on: 10 October 2002, 01:42 »
As you know it's been two weeks since I first got my hands on a Mac and had the chance to try OS X 10.1.4. Since then I've taken my iBook into hell and back literally just to see how stable and reliable OS X is. Not only did I have to work on it 13 or 14 hours a day but I had to open a lot of apps at the same time as well, something that would normally crash an application or even the OS (see Windows). After all my iBook comes with only 128 MBs of RAM, a small number compared to the needs of modern Wintel boxes and laptops.

However OS X proved me wrong all the way. Never before have I encountered such remarkable stability and robustness in any other OS (yes even Linux). Let me give you an example as to the load OS X had to lift each and every day: 4,5 and even more Mozilla Composer windows and simultaneous web pages editing, AppleWorks, Mail, CaptainFTP (an FTP client), Chimera, iTunes, iPhoto and QuickTime all at the same time. And all of that with only 128 Mbs of RAM as I mentioned. Of course there was slower response from some apps with the swap memory going crazy sometimes but NO crashes.

On top of that, I had to work with the Greek Update installed which is only a Beta version for some Cocoa and Carbon apps!

What can I say? OS X is a powerful and user friendly Operating system with an unsurpassable GUI and very cool apps (except IE which shouldn't be there at all).

cocoamix

• Kudos: 0
First impressions..
« Reply #1 on: 10 October 2002, 04:05 »
10.1.4?
You're not even using Jaguar?

psyjax

• VIP
First impressions..
« Reply #2 on: 10 October 2002, 04:20 »
quote:
Originally posted by cocoamix:
10.1.4?
You're not even using Jaguar?

He's getting it.

What's wrong with 10.1.4!!1 GRRRR!!

Nah... Jag rocks  :D

Just goes to show you, even in an old version of OSX, it kicks major ASS!!
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Pantso

• http://www.support-freesoftware.org
First impressions..
« Reply #3 on: 10 October 2002, 04:29 »
I'm getting Jag on Friday    The problem with earlier versions of X was the support for my native language but in Jaguar this problem seems to have been partly solved