Author Topic: Adobe Apple Bloat - WTF?  (Read 484 times)

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
Adobe Apple Bloat - WTF?
« on: 8 August 2003, 11:51 »
Take a look at these minimum hard drive space requirements (reprinted without permission) from adobe.com:

Photoshop 7
PC - 280 MB
Mac - 320 MB

InDesign 2
PC - 145 MB
Mac - 220 MB

Acrobat 6 Pro
PC - 245 MB
Mac - 405 MB

Where is this coming from?  Note that Illustrator 10 has the same requirements for both systems.  I thought there was no feature difference.  What's going on?  Not that my hard drive can't cut it, I'm just curious.  All hypotheses welcome.

cahult

• VIP
  • Kudos: 182
Adobe Apple Bloat - WTF?
« Reply #1 on: 8 August 2003, 13:19 »
The folks at Adobe are pissed at Apple for making apps that are very alike their own, but better. This is why Adobe makes these bloated versions for Mac.  :D
"The gentleman is dead, the feminists killed him" Anonymous

jasonlane

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.root10.net
Adobe Apple Bloat - WTF?
« Reply #2 on: 8 August 2003, 13:35 »
quote:
Originally posted by cahult:
The folks at Adobe are pissed at Apple for making apps that are very alike their own, but better. This is why Adobe makes these bloated versions for Mac.   :D  

That's crazy, you jest, no?
The MES Anti-Prude Force
"I don

gump420

Adobe Apple Bloat - WTF?
« Reply #3 on: 11 August 2003, 12:38 »
Keep in mind that the Mac OS X versions of these apps are actually "newer" than the PC counterparts in the sense that Adobe has not had a chance to streamline them for the OS yet.  Although Apple has the Carbon API for OS X, it is NOT the old Macintosh Toolbox, meaning that some sections have to be rewritten, not simply ported.
I can't get over you until you get out from under him.

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
Adobe Apple Bloat - WTF?
« Reply #4 on: 13 August 2003, 01:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by cahult:
The folks at Adobe are pissed at Apple for making apps that are very alike their own, but better. This is why Adobe makes these bloated versions for Mac.   :D  

Just to clear this up: he's bullshitting.

suselinux

• Kudos: 30
Adobe Apple Bloat - WTF?
« Reply #5 on: 15 August 2003, 10:19 »
I always thought it was because Adobe and Apple were in bed with each other, the higher the HD space the mor Hardware you need to buy from Apple??

Like Intel and Microsoft.

Like car manufacturers and Fuel companies

like cable companies and HD TV's

and so on

Faust

Adobe Apple Bloat - WTF?
« Reply #6 on: 15 August 2003, 21:05 »
quote:

I always thought it was because Adobe and Apple were in bed with each other, the higher the HD space the mor Hardware you need to buy from Apple??

That arguemnt sounds strangely familiar...  Oh wait the "Microsoft and Intel are in bed together argument" is what we have to hear every time the x86 vs PPC argument comes up.  
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
Adobe Apple Bloat - WTF?
« Reply #7 on: 16 August 2003, 06:55 »
well, it's true.

Bill Gates likes it anal from former Intel CEO Andy Grove. That new dude just can't give him the shaft quite like 'ol Andy.

As for the bloat, I don't think it's gonna be much of a problem for much longer. I'll bet Apple is right now looking to hire some more badass programmers and make their own high-end photo package. I'll bet they buy TIFFany or Painter and make it RULE THE WORLD.

And then Adobe will DIE. Or, I hope they will.
Go the fuck ~