Author Topic: Apple Marklar????  (Read 468 times)

creedon

• Kudos: 0
Apple Marklar????
« on: 29 December 2002, 21:41 »
It seems that Aplle has decided to port OSX to the x86 achitecture.  As a completely uninformed computer user (as far as Apple goes) I'm interested to the point that I know OSX is unix based.  Have any of the Apple-heads that post here heard anything about this?  I have a feeling that, although it would be nice to have another player on the feild, Apple seems to be just as proprietary about their OS as Microsoft is.
Any comments?
I'm SERIOUS about Linux; are you??

rtgwbmsr

• VIP
    • http://www.akgames.net
Apple Marklar????
« Reply #1 on: 30 December 2002, 01:07 »
Yes, OSX was ported to x86. Why? It may be a backup plan of sorts, or an experiment. Will it ever be released? Probably not.

The OSX core is already availible for x86 in the thing called Darwin. All they really had to do was port the aqua layer.

EDIT: Mods, this belongs in the Mac forum.
EDIT2: Thanks whoever moved this here.

[ December 29, 2002: Message edited by: The Muffin Man ]

dot.this

Apple Marklar????
« Reply #2 on: 30 December 2002, 08:37 »
This rumor has been going around since Apple first announced OS X. That's all it is-- a rumor.

Apple sells computers. If they made OS X available for x86 boxen, people might be less inclined to buy Apple hardware. Plus, they'd probably piss off Microsoft, who is one of the most important authors of Mac software.
This APT has Super Cow Powers.

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
Apple Marklar????
« Reply #3 on: 30 December 2002, 08:55 »
if something happened, and apple was pretty much doomed. i can deffinetely see them releasing their os on the x86. it would also be kick ass to release it openSource.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
Apple Marklar????
« Reply #4 on: 30 December 2002, 10:44 »
if something happened to them, I don't doubt that they'd just throw all of it out there.

OS X, OS 9, parts of Copland, Rhapsody, any parts of Taligent that are left, Quicktime, all of it would go open source.

They'd do it just to undermine MS. And I think it would go far beyond undermining them. It would mean that even without Apple, the Mac would still live. People could buy PPC mainboards and run OS X (or OS 9 if they were inclined) because the OS could be adapted for new boards not built by Apple.

The Mac would then be the "open computer"... even more than PCs. And MS would face the beginning of the end at last!
Go the fuck ~

creedon

Apple Marklar????
« Reply #5 on: 30 December 2002, 19:16 »
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy James: Mac Commando:
if something happened to them, I don't doubt that they'd just throw all of it out there.

OS X, OS 9, parts of Copland, Rhapsody, any parts of Taligent that are left, Quicktime, all of it would go open source.

They'd do it just to undermine MS. And I think it would go far beyond undermining them. It would mean that even without Apple, the Mac would still live. People could buy PPC mainboards and run OS X (or OS 9 if they were inclined) because the OS could be adapted for new boards not built by Apple.

The Mac would then be the "open computer"... even more than PCs. And MS would face the beginning of the end at last!

WOW!  You're right, that WOULD put a turd in MS's punchbowl, wouldn't it?
I'm SERIOUS about Linux; are you??

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
Apple Marklar????
« Reply #6 on: 30 December 2002, 23:12 »
hmm, in apples death, they could kill M$? hehe, apple would probably be resurected after something like that.
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
Apple Marklar????
« Reply #7 on: 30 December 2002, 23:59 »
I SWEAR TO YOU FOLKS MARKLAR IS REAL!

Apple dosn't deny it, it's not a rumer. I swear, look it up on O'reilly.... damit.

Anyway, apples death could mean the return of the Open Apple! HAHAHAH! I made a funny! HAHAHAH!
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR