Author Topic: OS X cache different with M$ from OS9  (Read 500 times)

radagast

• Kudos: 0
    • http://homepage.mac.com/radigastor/
OS X cache different with M$ from OS9
« on: 23 December 2001, 07:14 »
I hate to sound suspicious, and even worse have to admit, but with a Mac as follows:

Mac OS X
Office X
I. E. 5.whatever

Why are there three cache files in:

/Users/Home/Library/Caches/MS Internet Cache

??

cache.waf
IE Cache.waf
IE Control Cache.waf

All three are identical in size, 30MB.  There appears to be no setting available in Preferenes for cache size, i.e., size of html, gif etc. from loading web pages.

cache.waf appears to have same function as file of same name under OS9, i.e., the html, gif and etc. files from loading web pages.

IE Cache.waf appears to be equivalent of OS9 version of I.E.'s "download cache."  Best guess.

But what is this little gem:  IE Control Cache.waf ??

Running any or all Office X applications, including Entourage, results in no files in the MS Internet Cache folder.  But when I.E. is added to this disgusting brew all three files appear and therefore appear to be I.E. related only.

However, if I.E. and any Office X application are running and I.E. is quit, all three (or any one) of the three cache files are moved to the Trash it can't be emptied.  ???

If they're I.E. cache files why can't any one or all of them be trashed?  Why are they "busy?"
I.E. isn't running.  But one other Office X application is.  Let's say it's Word.  If only Word is running what is it doing to keep at least two cache files which are related to html cache and download cache busy?

If Word is quit and there are no other Office applications running then the trash can be emptied.   This is not true under OS9 because cache.waf (same file name; the html cache) and the "download" cache can be trashed any time I.E. is not running, even if Office 2001 is installed and one or more of its applications are running.

For the first time there appears to be something going on similar to the too well known problems with Windoze:

quote:
Microsoft needs to revisit the basic design of Windows - namely, removing the shared code between applications and the underlying Windows operating system (like the pervasiveness of the Web-enabled Internet Explorer across each Windows application and system.)

The Register of Dec. 22

While the evil binding WinXP, Office, and I.E. is considerably more pervasive, there appears to be something new on the horizon for users of the Mac platform and Office X and I.E.

Any ideas on what that third cache file is or why the files are "busy" when only Word is open?

:confused:
"Saying Windows is equal to Macintosh is like finding a potato that looks like Jesus and
believing you've witnessed the second coming." --Guy Kawasaki

Louis D

« Reply #1 on: 23 December 2001, 08:56 »
Why do they need all of this information?  If the files the Riddler talks about have similar files on a Mac one really has to wonder what the hell is going on.  It will be interesting to see what happens if the department of justice gets MS to open up thier code.  There are probably lots of neat features no one knows about to ensure an "optimal experience"
Una donna barbuda sempre `e un piace.

radagast

• http://homepage.mac.com/radigastor/
« Reply #2 on: 25 December 2001, 13:47 »
Actually, that's the "features" of only one directory.

There are two other folders filled with goodies at:  /Users/Home/Library/Preferences/Explorer and Explorer Control.

The contents of these two folders seem to "act like" (look like) similar folders in OS9 Preferences folder, but that leaves my original question begging an answer.  One of the three named "files" first mention is NOT the Download Cache file.   That file can be found in the two folders of the two directories just listed.

Opening the three files mentioned in original post suggests there are two files not designated as "History" or "Cookie" files, but which are busy gathering information for some (unknown) reason of where the user has been and what he's downloaded.

Now I wonder why Mr. Bill would want to know things like that?
"Saying Windows is equal to Macintosh is like finding a potato that looks like Jesus and
believing you've witnessed the second coming." --Guy Kawasaki