Author Topic: Help please  (Read 519 times)

mormop

• Kudos: 0
Help please
« on: 21 June 2002, 02:34 »
Hi folks,

just picked up an old G3 MAC (open minded enough to find out how the other half lives) and after exiting power saving (screen off) mode the the machine is locked up. Desktop's there but mouse, keyboard etc. have no effect forcing a power off/on.

OS is 8.5 with 8.6 upgrade and it's running an ATI video card (can't remember model it's in the office).

Any clues greatly appreciated

Cheers

Gooseberry Clock

• Kudos: 0
    • http://redrangersoftware.cjb.net/
Help please
« Reply #1 on: 21 June 2002, 03:38 »
I don't have an answer to this one, but Control+Command+Power should reboot it the next time it freezes.

[ June 20, 2002: Message edited by: * Red Ranger Software * ]

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
Help please
« Reply #2 on: 21 June 2002, 03:43 »
quote:
Originally posted by mormop:
Hi folks,

just picked up an old G3 MAC (open minded enough to find out how the other half lives) and after exiting power saving (screen off) mode the the machine is locked up. Desktop's there but mouse, keyboard etc. have no effect forcing a power off/on.

OS is 8.5 with 8.6 upgrade and it's running an ATI video card (can't remember model it's in the office).

Any clues greatly appreciated

Cheers

Ok, two things.

You need to make yourself a MacTool(TM), this is done by bending a paperclip into a straight line  :D  then insert it into the little reset hole on your machine. That of cource depends on the model, an iMac has the reset hole on the side, while towers have an actual button on the front or back.

Yes, sadly, this is the truth behind the old MacOS, it has a tendancy to crash. I would recommend upgrading to 9.2 if you want to use the classic environment, it is much more stable.

You may also want to go get OSX. When Jaguare comes out, I have heard all graphic rendering speed issues are going out the window due to beter code and increesed suppord for hardware acceleration.

If you have a tower, you may wanna go ahead and upgrade your video card for it, tho the speed incress is supposed to be across the board those with newer video cards are supposed to see more dramatic results.

Anyway, back to the classic OS. To force your computer off, if you ever need to, just hold down the power button. It will go off by itself after a few seconds, this is the power button on the actual unit not the keyboard. If an application ever locks up, force quit it by holding down Apple+Option+Escape.

That's about it. If the system came pre-instaled with a bunch of junk, you may want to do a clean install and sort your extensions till you have a nice and stable set.

You see, the Classic OS can be kept up and running as good as a UNIX box if you configure it right. It just takes a butt load of tweaking and if you ain't used it for years like I have, it's easy to break.

Thank god for the protected memory, multi-tasking, multi-threading environment that is OSX!

Seriously, you should get yourself a copy, great stuff.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR