Author Topic: Oh dear god...  (Read 408 times)

slvadcjelli42

• Kudos: 0
Oh dear god...
« on: 5 August 2003, 03:17 »
I was feeling pretty smug about my distance from Microsoft and its surrounding messes since i switched to Linux, and then a friend gave me this link: http://www.againsttcpa.com/tcpa-faq-en.html It basically outlines the "Trusted Computing Platform Alliance," which seems to make MS's related/subset "Palladium"/"NGSCB" look miniscule. Personally, I want to stay as far away from this as possible!! Tons of companies such as IBM, Intel, Dell, Gateway, AMD, Hewlett-Packard, of course Microsoft, and on and on and on, are all apparently in on this...
...and then i noticed that nowhere did it mention Apple, Mac, or anything related... I've never particularly liked Apple or it's computers (personal preference, no offense   ;)  ), but with so many major hardware companies involved in TCPA/NGSCB/whatever it seems that leaving Windows does not necessarily mean you are leaving Microsoft and its buddies... does anyone know where Apple stands in all this?? I like PC's, but if this is the way it's gonna be (i.e., if worst comes to worst) and if Apple does not accept this system, then the pro-TCPA companies are going to lose a customer, and I doubt I'll be the only one   :rolleyes:

slvadcjelli42

Oh dear god...
« Reply #1 on: 5 August 2003, 03:21 »
Stupid of me not to see that thread below, "Does MAC support DRM/Palladium?" That answers part of my question, but not all of it, of course, as Palladium is Microsoft's effort, which sort of fits under this TCPA thing, apparently....

Faust

Oh dear god...
« Reply #2 on: 5 August 2003, 08:54 »
I don't think that the palladium chips will run without the software backing them up - so Linux / BSD will be fine.  Even if it does there are always modding solutions.  ;)
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

slvadcjelli42

Oh dear god...
« Reply #3 on: 5 August 2003, 17:46 »
Ohh, ok. Well, that's good to hear  

mushrooomprince

• Kudos: 55
Oh dear god...