Author Topic: MicroSoft: 'Lindows' violates our trademark  (Read 2383 times)

Centurian

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.darkmares.2ya.com
MicroSoft: 'Lindows' violates our trademark
« Reply #45 on: 19 March 2002, 08:14 »
Hey,

quote:
Originally posted by VoidMain:
Well, I fully expect Lindows to be a load of garbage and I really don't have any interest in the product. But I was certainly pulling for them in this law suit.  I personally think Lindows is bad for Linux, but it's really hard to tell without the product. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for now.

Im not particularly impressed with what I have seen at their website either. I am just happy to hear that someone beat MS.  
Later
Centurian

dbl221

« Reply #46 on: 19 March 2002, 21:51 »
I have never used Lindows but anythime a huge company looses a baseless court action and the consumer maintains their choice it's a good thing.  :D
dbl221***Comp-Sys walking wounded

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #47 on: 19 March 2002, 13:02 »
yup, that's one good knock in the head right enough!

Re: Lindows, no it looks like something linux isn't.
How can they charge for it? doesn't the licence of linux require it to be free? or have they written a totally new OS that runs linux programs?
i'm confused   :confused:  .
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

ash

• http://www.colonelteddy.cjb.net
« Reply #48 on: 19 March 2002, 15:32 »
The stupidest thing about this, that I find:

Microsoft say Lindows may be confused with Windows.

Thats only a difference of 1 letter, right? Replacing the W with L.

But the last of the Windows 9x range, was Me.

Now, thats only one letter different to a (much better) OS called Be.

And they never thought that would get confused, did they??
Twenty dollars? Oh, I wanted a peanut.

badkarma

• VIP
« Reply #49 on: 19 March 2002, 15:39 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum:
yup, that's one good knock in the head right enough!

Re: Lindows, no it looks like something linux isn't.
How can they charge for it? doesn't the licence of linux require it to be free? or have they written a totally new OS that runs linux programs?
i'm confused    :confused:   .

It's free software as in free speech, not free beer  

So it doesn't have to be free, however the source of all GPL programs must be accesible to the user (wether he payed for the program or downloaded it for free)

Some parts of the Lindows OS are however not licensed under the GPL, but under a different (propriety) license
If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #50 on: 20 March 2002, 21:29 »
i heard something about a new anti-trust lawsuit against winblows...
does anyone know if this is true?
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

Liquidog

« Reply #51 on: 22 March 2002, 01:56 »
Looks to me like M$ is just using the bullshit name likeness as a legally acceptable reason to attack lindows.  The real threat of this company is in their whole approach and intention: giving people and businesses the chance to use M$ apps without the generally, though not always, compulsory crappy OS.  This tells me that M$ is well aware that their OS's are bad.  Regardless of how despicable their practices are otherwise, it speaks very badly of a company when it's obvious that they know one of their product lines is crap.  Thinking about it in that way, this suit of lindows is really just another great big bitch slap to collective face of the american consumer.  Not only that but you would think they'd have the sense not to press such a transparent suit when they're already in world of trouble because of the whole, uh, what's it called, monopoly thing.  Last time I checked that was illegal.  Anyways, if you see what's really behind the suit, it's almost makes you kind of feel bad for M$.  You know, the way you feel bad for a known crack dealer who calls the cops because his neighbor's kid hit a baseball through the window.

VeTro

• http://Will soon be up
« Reply #52 on: 22 March 2002, 16:10 »
Ever heard about WinLinux 2000??!! Well, I have. I even have it, and I used it a lot befor I got SuSe Linux. Since M$ sued Lindows, why didn't they sue WinLinux (unless they already have done it)? Someone has to teach M$ a lesson. The truth is that Bill Gates has somthing scary going on. And that is no joke (ever heard him talking about his visions for the future on the television?).  1) The truth is that he wants a total monpol on operative systems and software. 2) He also wants a pice of the computer game market. 3) Bill Gates has become a power-seeking-destructive-greedy-psycho. 4) M$ eradicates everybody who could oppose as a treath or as a comptetior.5)Why not call a terrorist and ask him to destroy Microsoft. Hahahahahaha.

Hmmmmmmmm.........
What about creatin a new Linx os? And call it WinLinux XP?   :D    :D  And create it so it would be compatible with all windows games and software?? If someone can do that, I would be delighted!!
  :D

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #53 on: 22 March 2002, 18:09 »
i still reckon windows should be rewritten and released as a UNIX OS. then you could customise it by leaving out the bits you don't like and keeping the bits you did.
It could be called "WinSux".
Of course, if i got winsux there wouldn't be any point since i would probably take it ALL out and replace it all with linux  ;)
that's a lie actually since i haven't got linux to do all the things i want it to, i'll be keeping my windows for a while. STILL, if winsux did get released as a UNIX OS, it would probably be all to fuck anyway (due to the sloppy codespersonship i suspect goes on behind M$' closed doors), so it would be better me just keeping my old 9x versions anyway.

WinSux, who would you like to rip off today?

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #54 on: 4 October 2002, 21:24 »
Well! It's out of the frying pan and into... another frying pan for Lindows(TM), as they try and sleaze into AOL's good books. Click this link for the lowdown  
quote:
partial excerpt:

Lindows suggested the term "AOL computer" for such PCs. The company is promoting the AOL functionality as a major selling point for $200 (about

tr_one

• http://www.
« Reply #55 on: 5 October 2002, 12:30 »
Hmm, I seem to remember people predicting statements like these;
(from above linked article)

quote:
The setup instructions are woefully inadequate, consisting of a diagram of where to stick each plug. My system included a glossy book on the computer's motherboard but no instructions for the operating system.

quote:
Lindows does make progress in one of Linux's most frustrating aspects. It built a mechanism for finding, installing and running software.

quote:
It worked most of the time.

and finally

quote:
Ultimately, Lindows is indeed about choice -- one that doesn't cost a lot of money but may end up costing considerable frustration and disappointment.

and all of this will end in nubies saying exactly those predicted things!

"linux is shit I'm going back to Winders"

HPC GUY

• Kudos: 101
« Reply #56 on: 5 October 2002, 22:11 »
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozer:
As much as I hate M$ I think they have a valid point here. since Lindows is geared towards windows users.

wasnt windows 3.1 geared towards mac users?
"if i destroyed you, i would only be perpetuating your legacy" - Me