Author Topic: Apple 2 SI??  (Read 886 times)

Doogee

• VIP
  • Kudos: 109
    • http://m-db.info
Apple 2 SI??
« on: 4 December 2002, 13:49 »
hello. this is my first post in the mac forums. hello everyone!

I was wondering if anyone has any info on the the apple 2 si? i am getting one of these for free off a mate this week. with keyboard mouse monitor and all that jazz. Its a desktop machine (lays horizontally) and about the size of a normal mini tower but thinner and horizontal. Im not sure which OS it runs.

Any info in this machine would be great. ie what processor is it and can i put new MacOS's on it.

Thanks a bunch!

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
Apple 2 SI??
« Reply #1 on: 4 December 2002, 15:34 »
apple 2?, the only thing new you might be puting on it is NetBSD. cuase apple II are anciet/*still, i wish i had one*/
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

Doogee

• VIP
Apple 2 SI??
« Reply #2 on: 4 December 2002, 15:47 »
arnt apple 2 those tiny black and white ones? this one is a real good desktop machine. ive seen things run on it and its very nice...

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Apple 2 SI??
« Reply #3 on: 4 December 2002, 15:52 »
it's black and white, but you might be thinking of the SE30s which were the newest black and white apple computers (they were macintoshes in fact) [edit] i have confused myself here since i know that the first apple computers were capable of colour graphics. perhaps the black and whiteness of their early computers was entirely down to their monochrome screens, which were in common circulation?

here's some good pictures of different apple 2s and it looks as if you'll be pretty stuffed unless you can get all the peripherals for it (screen and drives et c) as well.

I honestly think that you will have to make do with the operating system that comes with it, although i know little about this. i doubt you'll even be able to put a MacOS of any kind on it!

[edit] looks like you must use this operating system with it. It appears that this was when apple were just starting to bring out computers that could do lower case letters! (even though they had always been able to do colour graphics!)

quote:
from Apple II History site:
(of the Apple IIe): A full IIgs-in-a-IIe system. It was, however, still running ProDOS 8 applications (in this case, AppleWorks), since GS/OS was not completed when the first IIgs computers were released.

[ December 04, 2002: Message edited by: Calum ]

visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
Apple 2 SI??
« Reply #4 on: 4 December 2002, 17:26 »
My friend, I belive you have a Macintosh IIsi.

I had one of these before my centris. This mac sports a 25Mhz processor, comes withg 4MB of RAM and is upgradable to 16MB. Origionaly it came with a 50MB Hardrive, but you could get it with 100MB Hardrive. It supports color, check your monitors controll panel. However, your monitor may not be a color one.

It will run every system shy of 7.5.5, and requires the Color QuickDraw 32bit extension since at the time of it's release they were still using the old QuickDraw, so the ROM chip hardwired to the mobo has the APIs for non-32bit quickdraw.

What can you do with this machine? Wordprocessing,  minor graphics work, and good ol' classic gaming    

I recently took on the gargantuan task of transfering tons of Diskets to a CD, many of these contain old games. Fav's like Hellcats, Red Baron, Dark Tower, Specter, are only some of the few. I could hook you up if ya like   :D  

Anyway... that's what I think ya got.

[ December 04, 2002: Message edited by: psyjax v6.9 /Dave: Mac Zealot ]

Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Apple 2 SI??
« Reply #5 on: 4 December 2002, 18:19 »
aha! it's a macintosh II he's got is it? i wondered why i couldn't find any mention of an apple 2 si anywhere!
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
Apple 2 SI??
« Reply #6 on: 4 December 2002, 19:12 »
Ya, here are some more accurate specs. from lowend mac:

http://www.lowendmac.com/ii/iisi.shtml
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Annorax

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 457
Apple 2 SI??
« Reply #7 on: 4 December 2002, 21:19 »
Ohh, memories.... the first platform i learned to program on was an Apple IIc running DOS 3.3 .... gawd, that was fun...a 6502 processor at i believe 2 mhz (if memory serves), 128k memory, no HD, one 5.25 inch floppy, and the damn thing costed (my father) $2000! oh well, i was 7 years old, and it was the best thing available at the time...
Quote from: "bash.org"
<3M> ok guys i've finally got my windows me machine up and running again :D
if everything seems to be running well on windows me you've obviously overlooked something....
<3M> who is general failure and why is he reading my hard disc :(
somehow, "i told you so" doesn't quite say it ;)

ravuya

• VIP
  • Kudos: 0
Apple 2 SI??
« Reply #8 on: 4 December 2002, 21:52 »
There is no Apple IIsi. However, there is an Apple Macintosh IIsi. I believe The Czar has one.

The latest OS you can run on that beast is probably 7.6... it's best use is probably as spare parts.

BTW, regarding Apple II & NetBSD... no version of UNIX (or Linux) will run on the Apple II due to its lack of a virtual memory architecture. Same thing goes for pre-030 Macintoshes, such as the IIsi.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
Apple 2 SI??
« Reply #9 on: 5 December 2002, 00:19 »
the IIsi is an 030. All the II series except for the Mac II used 68030s.

I had a IIsi that I never made work. Something up with the video. Old Macs are badass. Get a Mac IIfx or a Quadra 840av if you want a sweet 68k box.
Go the fuck ~

PsysicTV

• http://www.suckandrock.tk
Apple 2 SI??
« Reply #10 on: 5 December 2002, 01:09 »
Pity about that video card, Jimmy. My first color Mac was a IIsi . . .sigh, those were the good old days, before I ressurected a Quadra 605 out of the trash behind a school and began a downward journey of chaos and destruction into the dark world of . . .oops, off topic.
"OK. That's weird."
- The Homestar Runner

Pissed_Macman

• VIP
    • http://www.macrevolution.tk
Apple 2 SI??
« Reply #11 on: 5 December 2002, 06:50 »
That was before my time I guess. Welcome to the Mac section, though Doogie.

Doogee

• VIP
Apple 2 SI??
« Reply #12 on: 5 December 2002, 11:49 »
thanks for the info guys! the monitor is color so i guess im in luck. this may be my first dive into the realm of macs. my next computer (unfortuanately prolly a few yrs off) might just be a mac with whatever great innovation of an OS apple will bring out on it.

ravuya

• VIP
Apple 2 SI??
« Reply #13 on: 12 December 2002, 04:11 »
It'd be great to get a II-class machine to replace my LC I, but then again I don't think I have the space for it on my desk.