Author Topic: Yahoo messenger for OS X...  (Read 438 times)

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
Yahoo messenger for OS X...
« on: 22 September 2003, 21:17 »
... is slow and crappy. The installer spews icons everywhere, including the desktop, which I keep perfectly clean unless I have working files out.

they say it only runs on OS X, but since it's Carbon, it'll also run on OS 9.2.2 (I haven't seen it work on 9.1 or 9.2.1) with the newest CarbonLib

It's so obviously an OS 9 app, because the UI uses all the old rules, and in Panther, the menus are slightly fucked... a sure sign of a shitty Carbon port.
Go the fuck ~

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
« Reply #1 on: 23 September 2003, 07:52 »
That's too bad. I thought that Yahoo! Messenger had decent support on other systems. Or, at least, it is supported, period.

AmericanBastard

• Kudos: 33
    • http://none
« Reply #2 on: 23 September 2003, 10:20 »
which brings us to another ???  How come the mighty master of this here peace of cyber pie doesn't have Yahoo Messenger listed as a point of contact (I will Use POC for that hence forth)???

Anyway, I have to agree with Laukev7 on that...I was always under the impression yahoo's messenger was one of the better ones...agree'd it always has a new quirk that justifies terms of endeerment such as "Yahell" but never heard that complaint before...I know on the windows version you actually have to tell it not to load a bunch of crap and  even after that, it auto dumps the icon on your desktop...can't we make that mandatory???  No auto shitting on desktops...maybe some of us like the bare minimum on our dt's.

[ September 23, 2003: Message edited by: AmericanBastard ]

ummmmmmmmmmm...idunno

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #3 on: 23 September 2003, 23:52 »
as far as stability goes, I can't complain. It's as good as any Carbon app. I just don't care for it putting icons on my desktop for me, and the overall quality of the UI seems lacking.

Conversely, it fits right in when running OS 9.
Go the fuck ~

mushrooomprince

• Kudos: 55
« Reply #4 on: 24 September 2003, 03:39 »
use for or proteus to do yahoo messenging.  Yahoo did a poor job on messener for os x thus i boycott them.
All your base are belong to us.