Author Topic: .Mac will cost you money  (Read 1087 times)

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
.Mac will cost you money
« on: 17 July 2002, 21:37 »
http://mac.com/1/mac_faq.html

-----------------------------------------
Q: Is it true that Apple will begin charging customers for iTools memberships?

On Wednesday, July 17, 2002, Apple notified its customers that iTools will be replaced by a new membership service called .Mac. The membership includes brand new features, like Backup and Virex anti-virus software, and improved versions of the iTools services, like additional email and iDisk storage. The fee is US$99.95 per year, and as a thank you for being loyal customers, existing iTools members can reserve a first year special offer of $49.95. iTools members will have until September 30 to join .Mac. After this time, original iTools accounts will be deactivated.

-------------------------------------------
Q: Will current iTools members be given a discount?

Yes. Current iTools members can purchase a one-year .Mac membership for US$49.95. (If purchased within the 60-day grace period). Normal charges (US$99.95) will apply after the first year.

Customers who have already paid for an upgrade to their existing iTools account (for additional storage) will receive the first year of their .Mac membership at no charge. Normal charges (US$99.95) will apply after the first year.

-----------------------------------------

http://mac.com/1/mac_faq.html

Hey! Imagine that, Apple is copying MS somewhat. MS creates .NET so Apple is creating .MAC. The big difference is, MS isn't adding fees to what used to be free services. The Ye Ol' Mac faithfuls don't like to accept the fact that Apple isn't in the business to please the consumer...No No No, Apple is in it for the money(like all other companies). Of course, if Apple was as powerful as MS is they would be a much worse company to be a Monopoly.

Apple sucks. ;P

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
.Mac will cost you money
« Reply #1 on: 17 July 2002, 21:55 »
quote:
Originally posted by Zombie9920:
Hey! Imagine that, Apple is copying MS somewhat. MS creates .NET so Apple is creating .MAC. The big difference is, MS isn't adding fees to what used to be free services.

Really?

http://www.theregus.com/content/6/25636.html
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
.Mac will cost you money
« Reply #2 on: 17 July 2002, 21:55 »
.Mac is worth paying money for...

I wouldn't give my money to .NET services, because its slow and crappy...

Too bad Apple had to do this, but the quality you get is much better than .NET could ever imagine.

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
.Mac will cost you money
« Reply #3 on: 17 July 2002, 21:58 »
That's fuked! They even call it .Mac .

Well Im disapointed, guess I'll clear my HD and install YDL souly   :(  

*grrrrrr*

What a bunch of assholes, gotta fucking grub for the money.

BTW... no one ever said Apple wasn't in it for the money, but M$ is still way way way worse!

Apple at least tries to make good products. This is one tansgression in the face of M$'s thousands.

It is disturbing tho, and if this trend keeps up Im leving computers for good. Sticking to old software and hardware or nothing else.

[ July 17, 2002: Message edited by: psyjax ]

Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

voidmain

• VIP
.Mac will cost you money
« Reply #4 on: 17 July 2002, 22:08 »
At least they didn't rape another top level domain name like M$ did with ".net" and call it ".org" or ".com" etc...

cocoamix

• Kudos: 0
.Mac will cost you money
« Reply #5 on: 17 July 2002, 22:18 »
As long as Apple doesn't roll out their own version of Palladium, it's fine by me.

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
.Mac will cost you money
« Reply #6 on: 18 July 2002, 08:31 »
and that reminds me of the fact that i need to buy ihate.net! Friday is the day to make .net hate images and pointless content (and of course buy the domain) that will take over my sad, sad life!

ravuya

• VIP
.Mac will cost you money
« Reply #7 on: 18 July 2002, 21:34 »
Gentlemen, I think the price is honestly worth it. Think of what Apple used to charge for big, expensive accounts. That's a lot more. They also hand out a free copy of Virex (granted, we have like 8 viruses on the Mac, but still... great program).

I'm sure this is like the Apple Developer club, where you pay x hundreds of dollars and you get to be ferried around to developer clubs, wined and dined with free software, and lots of other crap.

I don't think this is a misstep per se, I just think they're announcing it before they drop the killer app that will require the .Mac service (iChat?)

psyjax

• VIP
.Mac will cost you money
« Reply #8 on: 18 July 2002, 22:53 »
Not worth it.

If apple goes thrugh with this, they just dicked over a bunch of users. The coolest thing about iTools and iDisk was that it was free and came with every mac. Shit, that was a good reason for getting a Mac, if they are charging for it it's no better than .Net.

I gotta agree with Zombie on that one.

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
.Mac will cost you money
« Reply #9 on: 18 July 2002, 23:01 »
Apple must be in a pretty bad slump to start charging Apple loyalist for services that used to be free. I see that MS is going to charge for MSN Explorer 8 unless you are a MSN ISP user, but hell that is just a browser. It isn't like there aren't free alternatives out there. What free alternative services do iDisk users have? Charging a one time fee for software isn't so bad(but is silly considering browsers are free) but charging a fee for a service that you paid for when you bought your system is ludicris(Voidmain..did you notice that MSN 8 is just a piece of software...not a service).

iTools and iDisk are both services that Mac users deserve to have for free upon purchasing a Mac. There are alot of people out there who have websites and alot of files stored on thier iDisk account and they will lose all of thier shit(stored on the account) if they don't pay. That isn't right if you ask me.

[ July 18, 2002: Message edited by: Zombie9920 ]

voidmain

• VIP
.Mac will cost you money
« Reply #10 on: 19 July 2002, 01:05 »
Well I don't have any of those problems. I have my own servers and my operating systems and browsers are both free and free.

choasmaster

.Mac will cost you money
« Reply #11 on: 19 July 2002, 03:47 »
its always a good thing to have free speech after having free beer
id rather be on fire then use windoze

x86, a hack on a hack of a hack
alpha, the compaqed way
ppc, the fruity way
mips, the graphical way
m68k, the NeXT way
sparc, the reliable way

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
.Mac will cost you money
« Reply #12 on: 19 July 2002, 05:17 »
well it's also good to have the free beer first, and then have the free speech.

Also, this .mac thing is just a pile of pish and i'm surprised about it. Shows their true colours really, however yes, Apple has never tried to say they weren't in it for the money, they are a business after all.

If this bullshit keeps up, maybe a lot of people will not be using the internet much anymore as companies and isps and so forth make their services and products mutually exclusive. One day maybe the linux and bsd users will look around and realise that there's only linux and bsd isps left, and only linux and bsd users signed up to them?
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

psyjax

• VIP
.Mac will cost you money
« Reply #13 on: 19 July 2002, 05:22 »
Im just gonna wait and see. I still like Apple, I just hope this isnt a sign of what is to come.

rtgwbmsr

• VIP
    • http://www.akgames.net
.Mac will cost you money
« Reply #14 on: 20 July 2002, 21:37 »
quote:
Originally posted by Zombie9920:
There are alot of people out there who have websites and alot of files stored on thier iDisk account and they will lose all of thier shit(stored on the account) if they don't pay. That isn't right if you ask me.

As long as you don't have an upgraded iDisk account, it's just 20 MB! Put it on your desktop for a little while, it won't kill you.

If you do have an upgraded iDisk account:

Q: I already paid for an iDisk upgrade, what will happen to my account?

If you purchased iDisk storage in the 12 months prior to July 17th, 2002, you will receive a one-year complimentary .Mac membership. The amount of additional iDisk storage will be available to you through the end of the membership.