Author Topic: What else is Microsoft doing?  (Read 453 times)

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
What else is Microsoft doing?
« on: 23 February 2003, 23:05 »
I've read a lot of stuff on this site about the spyware that Microshit puts on it's computers via the operating system and was wondering if anybody knew if they use spyware in the Macintosh versions of their software (don't worry, I don't use their software at home or approve of such things).

mr_nobody

• Kudos: 0
    • http://akirasys.tripod.com
« Reply #1 on: 24 February 2003, 05:46 »
I don't think Microsoft puts spyware in their Mac software because they know Mac users won't stand for it. Windows users just say "Oh, well, I need Microsoft to survive so I'll buy it anyway" but Mac users just say no. Notice Mac software is the only place to find M$ software with CD-keys instead of activation because they know we're sensitive to that stuff (Mac OS still has no copy-protection, that makes me proud to be a Mac user). Sorry, but I have to use Word right now; I'm on Mac OS X, AppleWorks won't cut it and I'm still waiting for Nisus Writer X.
"The next generation of interesting software will be made for the Macintosh, not the IBM PC." -Bill Gates, 1984

Pissed_Macman

• VIP
  • Kudos: 0
    • http://www.macrevolution.tk
« Reply #2 on: 25 February 2003, 13:32 »
I don't agree with that. M$ uses the same techniques to lure Mac users to keep using its products. For a long time I thought IE was the best thing out there. I don't even know why I thought that, but now my heart belongs to Mozilla, but not to the same degree. I'd switch away from it any day if I knew something was better and it was convenient to take the time to downoad it. The same goes for Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Office as well. Many Mac users have never heard of Open Office or other alternatives. The only reason M$ isn't pushing us as hard is because we really don't matter that much, it just wants its thumb in every pie. Billyboy is using our own lack of software against us.

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #3 on: 26 February 2003, 00:09 »
quote:
Sorry, but I have to use Word right now; I'm on Mac OS X, AppleWorks won't cut it and I'm still waiting for Nisus Writer X

go download x11 for mac, then install openOffice.
i can see microsoft putting a bunch of spyware into its mac apps. they do it on windows, so why not mac?? i do have MSoffice on my mac, but i havent used it since i got openOffice. i should just delete it  

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #4 on: 26 February 2003, 02:00 »
Open Office under X11 sux.

It dosn't recognize your native OSX fonts, it's slow on redraw, and is hindered by the clunky inelegent X11 interface. I recently switched back to AppleWorks.

OpenOffice will rule once the Aqua version comes out, I don't doubt that, but right now it's way too beta. AbiWord for Apple X11 is much more stable, and it reads/writse word files. I would suggest that, but it dosnn't reconize your native fonts.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

xyle_one

• VIP
« Reply #5 on: 26 February 2003, 02:08 »
quote:
Originally posted by psyjax: plain 'ol psyjax:
Open Office under X11 sux.

It dosn't recognize your native OSX fonts, it's slow on redraw, and is hindered by the clunky inelegent X11 interface. I recently switched back to AppleWorks.

OpenOffice will rule once the Aqua version comes out, I don't doubt that, but right now it's way too beta. AbiWord for Apple X11 is much more stable, and it reads/writse word files. I would suggest that, but it dosnn't reconize your native fonts.

true...  

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #6 on: 26 February 2003, 02:34 »
openoffice largely sux ass on x11 anyway  :(  
it is fantastic at recognising and writing many file formats but it is rubbish at recognising fonts and so forth. i am disappointed to hear the mac version is x11 only.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

xyle_one

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: 26 February 2003, 02:37 »
i really like starOffice on windows.. it would be real nice to use that on mac.