Author Topic: Rumors about a flat-panel iMac  (Read 604 times)

gump420

• Kudos: 0
Rumors about a flat-panel iMac
« on: 23 December 2001, 15:03 »
I'm a pretty big skeptic when it comes to rumors about Apple, but this one is starting to grow on me considering some stuff I've read about it.

Several interesting things to note:

* Apple has ordered a much larger than usual number of flat-panel displays recently.

* Steve Jobs moved his keynote address to a day earlier than usual; this is of note because it hasn't ever happened before, I guess.

* Apparently, an Apple rep leaked that flat-panel iMacs would be released at January's MacWorld Expo. I have yet to substantiate this news, but it is certainly significant. (And if it is true, that's one now jobless sucker; Apple takes NDA breaches extremely seriously.)

With the amount of speculation about a flat-panel iMac, Apple would have to be fools to not make it happen. Otherwise, before every Expo they'd be dealing with rumors about it, which in turn would hurt sales. Now it's a matter of trying to peek into the brains of their engineers to figure out what it's going to look like. (-;
I can't get over you until you get out from under him.

sway

« Reply #1 on: 23 December 2001, 17:53 »
yep, i've heard the same thing. but i think the next mac i'll be getting is a PowerMac G4, but that won't be for awhile, so i'll settle with my orange iMac for now.

gump420

« Reply #2 on: 23 December 2001, 20:07 »
Well, I was going to get an iBook for school in January, but if a new iMac does come out then I may have to decide between one or the other. It really depends on just how cool the new iMac turns out to be!

CommonSense

• VIP
    • http://www.microsuck.com
« Reply #3 on: 25 December 2001, 06:25 »
A flat-panel iMac is almost inevitable at this point.  However, I don't think that's necessarily the reason the keynote was moved up a day.  There's a lot of speculation that it has to do with Bill Gates being scheduled to speak the same day, in the evening, at the CES show.  And that Jobs intends to upstage him.

What I've heard is that Gates is supposed to be unveiling M$'s new tablet PC at his CES keynote.  If the Apple keynote intends to upstage that, could it mean . . . a tablet PC from Apple?

That's one rumor that's going around . . . though, to be fair, it's been going around, off and on, for about two years now . . .

bcortens

« Reply #4 on: 6 January 2002, 04:21 »
I'm looking more forwards to the rumers of the iWalk not the lcd iMac
but that does sound pretty cool
the G5 also sounds cool

but it looks more likely that they will just release the appolo G4 and release the G5 when its finnished
The wave of the future is within the holo field distorted world of Apple HQ

gump420

« Reply #5 on: 8 January 2002, 11:29 »
Yep, I was right! And I'm definitely getting one, too . . .