Author Topic: Durable iBook, my ass.  (Read 938 times)

ravuya

• VIP
  • Kudos: 0
Durable iBook, my ass.
« on: 24 October 2002, 04:01 »
My girlfriend's 3-month-old iBook took a downer of one foot onto a lushly carpeted floor. The ethernet port died on impact, it seems. We've tried a number of different solutions, and nothing is working. It looks like that little iBook is heading right to a service department.  :mad:

rtgwbmsr

• VIP
    • http://www.akgames.net
Durable iBook, my ass.
« Reply #1 on: 24 October 2002, 04:12 »
Did you lose data? Did the screen break?

I dropped my IBM from a table to a (as you would put it) "plushly carpeted" floor. Screen gone. HDD + Data gone. Ethernet? Hell, the thing didn't turn on!

I dropped my PowerBook G3 from a table to a industrial carpeted floor, and it's dandy.

Sounds like a board came loose.  The odds of something going wrong are low. You were just on the wrong side of the odds  :D  

Shit happens.

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
Durable iBook, my ass.
« Reply #2 on: 24 October 2002, 04:14 »
I've dropped my Dell Latitude several times, I believe I am on my 3rd LinkSys PCMCIA ethernet adapter. Seems to always land right on that son of a bitch!
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

ravuya

• VIP
Durable iBook, my ass.
« Reply #3 on: 24 October 2002, 04:18 »
Data (at least the important stuff) is fine. Screen's fine. The magnesium-mount saved everything but the port, it appears. You'd still think that the iBook would take more pains to protect its lifeline to the real world (after all, it does have the i in the name).

It could be worse.

rtgwbmsr

• VIP
    • http://www.akgames.net
Durable iBook, my ass.
« Reply #4 on: 24 October 2002, 04:19 »
I got caught in the rain with that laptop later on, after I got it fixed...last time I ever carried one around without a case.

[ October 23, 2002: Message edited by: The_Muffin_Man/B0b ]

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
Durable iBook, my ass.
« Reply #5 on: 24 October 2002, 04:24 »
quote:
Originally posted by Ravuya:
Data (at least the important stuff) is fine. Screen's fine. The magnesium-mount saved everything but the port, it appears. You'd still think that the iBook would take more pains to protect its lifeline to the real world (after all, it does have the i in the name).

It could be worse.

Well, at least everything else is in order and it looks like the iBook took the impact fairly well. It could be worse as you said so don't worry. If it's only an ethernet problem it will be quickly fixed.

Just occured to me.. Have you tried booting from the Apple Hardware test CD?

ravuya

• VIP
Durable iBook, my ass.
« Reply #6 on: 24 October 2002, 04:28 »
quote:
Originally posted by Panos:

Just occured to me.. Have you tried booting from the Apple Hardware test CD?

No, but that's a damned good idea.

cocoamix

Durable iBook, my ass.
« Reply #7 on: 24 October 2002, 18:55 »
Don't you guys know that the bread always falls butter-side down?

ravuya

• VIP
Durable iBook, my ass.
« Reply #8 on: 24 October 2002, 20:24 »
Usually when I've had laptops drop they fall on an outstretched cd-rom tray, or bounce and then land on tile. Must have been a board or something, I thought the port was fairly recessed in the iBook.

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
Durable iBook, my ass.
« Reply #9 on: 25 October 2002, 00:10 »
Hey Ravuya, did you try the hardware test CD?

ravuya

• VIP
Durable iBook, my ass.
« Reply #10 on: 25 October 2002, 04:17 »
Yuppers. It's repair time. Hopefully the warranty is still good. I can't remember if Apple pulls the thing if you install your own RAM or not.

aapl

Durable iBook, my ass.
« Reply #11 on: 27 October 2002, 13:08 »
Installing your own ram doesn't void the warrenty anymore. If you send it back to Apple they should send you a form asking if you added anything. That way they can ensure you get back what you sent. In the event they replace the machine. You'll probably just get a new motherboard.

[ October 27, 2002: Message edited by: aapl ]

g4scott

Durable iBook, my ass.
« Reply #12 on: 30 October 2002, 06:52 »
I have a new iBook, and it's withstood several drops from my bed to my floor (about 2 feet.)  It landed on the hinge area, but the screen and the rest of the computer was fine.  I did have my Combo drive go out on me unexpectedly, but I had a CompUSA protection plan, so they sent it off to Apple, and I got a faster burner in it.  8x instead of 4x!!!

The old iBooks were rugged...  I've dropped my old one several times, and it still works fine...  They just don't make them like they used to...
The best way to accelerate you windoze pee-cee is at 9.81 m/s^2