Author Topic: Microsoft starts anti-Linux campaign.  (Read 733 times)

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
Microsoft starts anti-Linux campaign.
« on: 7 January 2004, 00:25 »
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1426252,00.asp

If the objective analysts who provide them with the facts are just as reliable as the deceased people who supported them during their anti-trust trial, then I'm sure their advertising won't backfire at all.

[ January 06, 2004: Message edited by: Laukev7 ]

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #1 on: 7 January 2004, 02:25 »
quote:
Originally posted by Laukev7:
If the objective analysts who provide them with the facts are just as reliable as the deceased people who supported them during their anti-trust trial, then I'm sure their advertising won't backfire at all.

OWNED!  :D

Looks like Redmond is getting desperate... heck, they were in the second article even more!

quote:
Now it seems they'll be looking for key examples of Microspeak in them (Iowa has identified "Strong competition and innovation have been the twin hallmarks of the technology industry" and "If the future is going to be as successful as the recent past, the technology sector must remain free from excess regulation"), then tossing them and carrying on as before.

:D   Damn, that was funny.

I looked through one of the PDF's that M$ offered.  It only compared Win2k3 on Intel vs. SuSE on IBM mainframe processors.  DOH!  I bet Linux kicks Windows's ass on Intel.  :D
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Xeen

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #2 on: 7 January 2004, 03:04 »
The funny part about this is that up to now Billy and Stevie have continually claimed in almost every speech and interview that Linux sucks and that they're not worried about people switching.

Well then why bother with this ad campaign?

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #3 on: 7 January 2004, 03:05 »
wait... microsoft starts an anti linux campaign?
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Laukev7

• VIP
« Reply #4 on: 7 January 2004, 04:50 »
Erm... how about, 'pushes it to a new level'?

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #5 on: 7 January 2004, 05:23 »
Slashdot Dissection

A pretty good read.  MS apparently is comparing costs of running a Linux mainframe with a Dual Xeon server running Windows and saying: see windows is cheaper.  Like I posted there, it's like comparing a diesel fueled Tractor-Trailer with a gas-powered pickup truck and saying "see, using gasoline is cheaper to move freight."

Also interesting is a story from a guy who claimed that they took MS money to do an independent study on Windows vs FreeBSD.  When MS didn't like their results, they refused to pay the company, and pointed to an obscure clause in the NDA.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

Xeen

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #6 on: 9 January 2004, 19:54 »
UPDATE: Microsoft cheated in their campaign report.

http://www.internetnews.com/ent-news/article.php/3297361

Laukev7

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: 9 January 2004, 20:41 »
How surprising.

Aaron Ni

• VIP
  • Kudos: 33
« Reply #8 on: 10 January 2004, 04:59 »
Did anyone notice this?

quote:
To that end, Microsoft last January announced a new global initiative to provide governments around the world with access to Windows source code under its Government Security Program, designed to "address the unique security requirements of governments and international organizations throughout the world."

MS is willing to unclench their grubby little mitts from their source for government customers concerned about security?  After they try to make sense of the code they'll get sick and look to something else.

And maybe a naughty little governmental agent will "accidentally" send copies of the source to a few sites for posting...
You know me.... really...

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #9 on: 11 January 2004, 05:12 »
only about 40% of the code will be viewable (and what's the use of that?) and it will not be modifyable or repeatable, which is even more restrictive than AT&T's non-disclosure Unix licences. plus, who's to say the source code they hand out is even real? since it is not legal to compile it yourself, nobody will be able to prove whether it works or not, and i don't believe what with the bloat in the windows OS that anybody could spot anything worthwhile in it by thumbing through printouts of the source code.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Canadian Lover

• VIP
  • Kudos: 122
« Reply #10 on: 14 February 2004, 23:19 »