Author Topic: Sculley is an idiot!  (Read 643 times)

cahult

• VIP
  • Kudos: 182
Sculley is an idiot!
« on: 11 October 2003, 08:33 »
John Sculley, former CEO of Apple, has proven himself an idiot once and for all. In an interview with Maccentral he says Apple should have gone with Intel instead of forming the alliance with IBM and Motorola.

Article

I wonder what would have happened to Apple if they had gone with Intel. Maybe they would have been forced to adopt more Microsoft products, maybe even switch to windows.  :eek:
"The gentleman is dead, the feminists killed him" Anonymous

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
Sculley is an idiot!
« Reply #1 on: 11 October 2003, 08:40 »
This from the same guy who accepted to licence parts of the Mac OS interface to Microsoft.

Yes, I know he was blackmailed by Bill Gates. But I would have chosen to forfeit the Microsoft Office deal instead of the Mac OS.

quote:
I wonder what would have happened to Apple if they had gone with Intel. Maybe they would have been forced to adopt more Microsoft products, maybe even switch to windows.

I don't know about that. Andy Grove is pretty pro-Apple. He even owned an iMac at one time, and said he loved it.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,14868,00.html

[ October 10, 2003: Message edited by: Laukev7 ]

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
Sculley is an idiot!
« Reply #2 on: 11 October 2003, 08:52 »
this is news to us?

Sculley, IMHO, did more to destroy Apple than anybody. Gil Amelio might not have been the best exec, but he had to try to pick up the pieces after the mediocrity of John Sculley.

Under Amelio, they had some of their best products ever, like the Newton, the AV series Quadras, the early Power Macs which included all those AV features from the Quadra AVs, PowerCD, QuickShot, the 20th Anniversary Mac, et cetera.

All they had when Sculley was there was same 'ol shit. The Mac went from being a rather affordable personal appliance computer to having the "expensive and incompatible" image that it still has. It became an overpriced "not a PC"

It wasn't until Sculley left that PC compatibility appeared in the Mac OS.

John Sculley was there when all of the best creative minds were at Apple. They were still there when Amelio was around... and you could tell. Under Sculley, they were pretty much staunched, and then started to bloom in the mid 1990s. When they bought NeXT, and Steve Jobs came back, they traded the truly creative image for one of "flashy" and "original", but they weren't the same... and I don't think they ever will be.

MS made creativity and true innovation and artistry in the computer industry irrelevant, and it honestly does show.

Hey, they coulda done worse... they coulda not gotten Steve, and then they surely would have been a sad story on the late night news.
Go the fuck ~

Laukev7

• VIP
Sculley is an idiot!
« Reply #3 on: 11 October 2003, 17:28 »
Actually, the Newton started under Sculley, not Amelio.

I don't think that AJ (After Jobs) Apple is worse or more superficial than BJ Apple. They're just different, in my opinion, and both have their good aspects.

billy_gates

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.skinner.com/jeffberg
Sculley is an idiot!
« Reply #4 on: 12 October 2003, 11:57 »
its not like apple and motorola made good things happen.  Look how far behind the Mac is now.

And if they had gone intel... just image booting OSX and Windows side by side.  Hell maybe even a "classic" so windows could run in your OSX.
God Damn that would be cool.

cahult

• VIP
  • Kudos: 182
Sculley is an idiot!
« Reply #5 on: 25 October 2003, 05:30 »
quote:
Originally posted by jeffberg: Mac Capitalist:
its not like apple and motorola made good things happen.  Look how far behind the Mac is now.

And if they had gone intel... just image booting OSX and Windows side by side.  Hell maybe even a "classic" so windows could run in your OSX.
God Damn that would be cool.

You really think so? Well, I have some doubts about that. I don
"The gentleman is dead, the feminists killed him" Anonymous

Laukev7

• VIP
Sculley is an idiot!
« Reply #6 on: 25 October 2003, 06:08 »
quote:
Originally posted by cahult:

You really think so? Well, I have some doubts about that. I don