Author Topic: Best browser/e-mail for OS X?  (Read 1077 times)

dot.this

• Kudos: 0
Best browser/e-mail for OS X?
« on: 1 October 2002, 04:03 »
I've settled in to using Mail for e-mail, but experiments with Mozilla and Chimera have been unsatisfying. Thus do I savor the sweet irony of browsing fuckMicrosoft with Explorer fulfilling my every command.

I am fully open to the idea of another browser. What am I missing? I've heard of Opera , iCab, etc. but have only used what I said above. What should I try, and what should I avoid-- what would waste my time with a near-miss like Chimera? (I forgive them. They call it b0.5 for a reason. I'll just wait for 1.0.1)
This APT has Super Cow Powers.

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #1 on: 1 October 2002, 04:13 »
Plain and Simple. Mozilla. Why didn't you like it? I use it all the time, I like it a whole lot better than IE.

Other than that, try OmniWeb. It's a very good browser, although I have found some incompatible sites.

Mozilla is the best IMHO.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

ravuya

• VIP
« Reply #2 on: 1 October 2002, 04:29 »
Mozilla is the best.

OmniWeb is great too.

dot.this

« Reply #3 on: 1 October 2002, 05:11 »
Mozilla. Hmm.. I tried the 1.1 version for Classic. It was good, but would freeze the Mac hard and fast sometimes if I used the Mac's Menu Bar. Software that crashes my Mac doesn't last long.

It might run better in OS X, but those are such huge downloads, I want to avoid to avoid tying up the phone line for hours, so I can't just download them all and try them.

Two votes so far for OmniWeb. I'll check them out.
This APT has Super Cow Powers.

psyjax

• VIP
« Reply #4 on: 1 October 2002, 08:58 »
Let me just say, that Mozilla on OSX is a whole diffrent animal. It is an excellent, stable, and fully fetured browser. I have yet to find an incompatible site.

OmniWeb, has had many incompatabilities.

If you download the OSX version of Mozilla, I think you will be greatly pleased with it, as it is probably the best browser on the OS.

That's my 2 cents  

MacUser3of5

• http://notquiteyet.com
« Reply #5 on: 1 October 2002, 10:46 »
I prefer OmniWeb, with reservations... mostly in its lacking support of new tech. Extremely functional, useful, well designed app. Amazing stuff. About a 6 meg download, I think.

Chimera is nice, but kinda bland. Faster than Omniweb, though... it's my secondary browser.

IE is pretty good too, and is actually better than the x86 version.

Mozilla on X is a joke, especially compared to Chimera. Avoid it. Way too bloated, and it's terribly garish and ugly.

Opera is weak, especially since it's adware.

iCab is interesting, as it is extremely small/fast. (a 2.5 meg download if I remember correctly). Supports new-ish tech also, about as much as Omniweb.

Yes, I have all of them installed. I did trash Mozilla, though...

I use Apple's Mail, works nicely, well designed app. Haven't needed to try anything else.

[ October 01, 2002: Message edited by: MacUser3of5 ]

"Let them call me a rebel and welcome, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of devils, were I to make a whore of my soul..." - Thomas Paine

psyjax

• VIP
« Reply #6 on: 1 October 2002, 11:16 »
quote:
Originally posted by MacUser3of5:
Mozilla on X is a joke, especially compared to Chimera. Avoid it. Way too bloated, and it's terribly garish and ugly.

Just download the Pinball theme, or Orbit. Both look nice. Beside's, what's looks got to do with it! It support's more "new tech" and is more compatible than any of the browsers you mentioned.

Sorry, I stand by Mozilla  

err... Haven't tried Chimera tho. I think I will I have been hearing good things about it also.

trc3

• http://www.sk8mafia4life.com
« Reply #7 on: 1 October 2002, 13:46 »
quote:
Originally posted by psyjax:

Just download the Pinball theme, or Orbit. Both look nice. Beside's, what's looks got to do with it! It support's more "new tech" and is more compatible than any of the browsers you mentioned.

Sorry, I stand by Mozilla    

err... Haven't tried Chimera tho. I think I will I have been hearing good things about it also.

No No No, you need the Pinstripe theme for mozilla, it looks MUCH better then any of the other themes.  Its perfect for os 10.

http://www.kmgerich.com/pinstripe/pinstripe.html

Chimera is good, but you can tell its a beta.  Omniweb is also ok, I keep it around cause it seems to handle java better then mozilla.

MacUser3of5

• http://notquiteyet.com
« Reply #8 on: 1 October 2002, 20:23 »
Chimera is getting better, it is a WIP though.

By Mozilla's looks I was referring to these things: Lack of Aqua-style buttons/interface in the default installation, and the horrific splash screen on startup. I mean, yikes....  :eek:

"Let them call me a rebel and welcome, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of devils, were I to make a whore of my soul..." - Thomas Paine

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #9 on: 1 October 2002, 20:40 »
i thought you could chage the splash screen? i know, it should be something better to begin with, but like psyjax, i stand by mozilla. as for mail apps, i find that macs default mail app does everything i need it to do.
ecsyle  

psyjax

• VIP
« Reply #10 on: 1 October 2002, 20:47 »
quote:
Originally posted by xyle_one:
i thought you could chage the splash screen? i know, it should be something better to begin with, but like psyjax, i stand by mozilla. as for mail apps, i find that macs default mail app does everything i need it to do.
ecsyle      

Yes, you can change the splash screen quite easely!

Over at resexcellence.com, they have several really cool alternet splash screens.

http://www.resexcellence.com/user_splash_Netscape.shtml

[ October 01, 2002: Message edited by: psyjax ]

cocoamix

« Reply #11 on: 1 October 2002, 21:14 »
Mozilla all the way, with a switch to Chimera when/if it gets to 1.0

rtgwbmsr

• VIP
    • http://www.akgames.net
« Reply #12 on: 2 October 2002, 00:29 »
If you don't like Mozilla and IE, try iCab at http://www.icab.de

OSX Jag Mail is superior to anything out there IMHO

[ October 01, 2002: Message edited by: The_Muffin_Man/B0b ]

Pantso

• http://www.support-freesoftware.org
« Reply #13 on: 2 October 2002, 14:56 »
All I know guys, since I'm new to Macs, is that Mozilla really kicks ass compared to IE for OSX. I downloaded it last night and started using it in no time. It's just as great as in Linux, equally stable, ultra fast (when compared to the competition) and compatible with almost every site I've visited so far. It's Mozilla that I vote for once again  

cocoamix

« Reply #14 on: 3 October 2002, 00:31 »
If you have a multi-button mouse, set one of the buttons to Command+Click and open links in new background tabs (set inpreferences).
It's my fav Mozilla feature.