Author Topic: Best browser/e-mail for OS X?  (Read 1078 times)

cocoamix

• Kudos: 0
Best browser/e-mail for OS X?
« Reply #15 on: 3 October 2002, 02:54 »
Try this for splash screens. (it's simple to di it manually too, but this app makes it even easier:
http://malletandbare.free.fr/products/csi/

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #16 on: 3 October 2002, 03:10 »
the browser i have on my mac is netscape 3.X
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
« Reply #17 on: 3 October 2002, 04:14 »
I just downloaded Chimera and all I can say is that it's much faster than Mozilla. The downside is that it's still heavily under development, so I'm expecting to find some bugs on the way. Nonetheless it's a very fast browser  

BLAH

« Reply #18 on: 9 October 2002, 07:41 »
ARGHHH!!

I have a question about Mozilla on Mac OS X.

I installed Mozilla on my mac a few days ago before I had internet access on it (had to download the .bin file to my pc, burn a CD, then transfer it to the mac. what a pain in the butt), I did it before I had internet on it because I use AOL (yea i know *groan*) and I needed to get a CD with the newer version of aol for mac os x. I wanted to see how mozilla was on my macintosh.

Anyway, everything was fine until I installed AOL on the mac. Now everytime I open Mozilla all I get is a small grey vertical line about 20 pixels long at the corner of my screen and nothing else. I tried everything I could think of to make the browser display correctly but no such luck  :(

Does anyone know what's going on with my computer and why mozilla is no longer working correctly on it? I tried deleteing then re-installing mozilla but I still get the same thing. I think that maybe having AOL on the computer has something to do with this, but the hell if I know.

Pantso

• http://www.support-freesoftware.org
« Reply #19 on: 9 October 2002, 18:12 »
quote:
Originally posted by BLAH:
ARGHHH!!

I have a question about Mozilla on Mac OS X.

I installed Mozilla on my mac a few days ago before I had internet access on it (had to download the .bin file to my pc, burn a CD, then transfer it to the mac. what a pain in the butt), I did it before I had internet on it because I use AOL (yea i know *groan*) and I needed to get a CD with the newer version of aol for mac os x. I wanted to see how mozilla was on my macintosh.

Anyway, everything was fine until I installed AOL on the mac. Now everytime I open Mozilla all I get is a small grey vertical line about 20 pixels long at the corner of my screen and nothing else. I tried everything I could think of to make the browser display correctly but no such luck   :(  

Does anyone know what's going on with my computer and why mozilla is no longer working correctly on it? I tried deleteing then re-installing mozilla but I still get the same thing. I think that maybe having AOL on the computer has something to do with this, but the hell if I know.

This must be an AOL problem. Eventhough I haven't used AOL, I use Mozilla in OS X all the time and never had a problem. You could also try Chimera for browsing only. It's really fast

cocoamix

« Reply #20 on: 9 October 2002, 18:41 »
Mozilla and AOL both use the same rendering engine, so maybe thay are interfering with one another.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #21 on: 9 October 2002, 19:20 »
hmm. i don't know the answer, but i just wanted to add a sentence or 2 about the original question.

don't bother with iCab, it emulates IE, but quite badly.

When using mozilla, get the last *stable* build. this is most important if you want to avoid crashes.

Opera - yes it is very good, but is ad supported, if you don't pay for it. This isn't a problem, but you will probably want mozilla hanging around as well.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

psyjax

• VIP
« Reply #22 on: 9 October 2002, 23:49 »
Ok, first off, Mozilla dosn't jive with browsers running on it's engine.

I have installd it on the same system as Netscape 6 and 7 only to have it totaly freak out into an unusable pile of bubbling puke. So I woulden't be surprised if this is the source of the conflict.

Try deleting the current mozilla, (do a search and find EVERYTHING mozilla related. I belive it puts some files in Application support in your Library folder.) then do a re-install.

Another issue could be the version of Mozilla, did you download the new Alpha or the current stable build?

Finaly, DUMP AOL!!! That's your problem, not Mozilla, AOL sux major ass. Get a real ISP.

OmniWeb, is a great, free, OSX native browser.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #23 on: 10 October 2002, 00:27 »
quote:
Originally posted by psyjax:
Ok, first off, Mozilla dosn't jive with browsers running on it's engine.

I have installd it on the same system as Netscape 6 and 7 only to have it totaly freak out into an unusable pile of bubbling puke. So I woulden't be surprised if this is the source of the conflict.

Try deleting the current mozilla, (do a search and find EVERYTHING mozilla related. I belive it puts some files in Application support in your Library folder.) then do a re-install.

Another issue could be the version of Mozilla, did you download the new Alpha or the current stable build?

Finaly, DUMP AOL!!! That's your problem, not Mozilla, AOL sux major ass. Get a real ISP.

OmniWeb, is a great, free, OSX native browser.

i got mozilla 1.0, 1.1, netscape X.X, and phoenix, all on the same computer and they all work fine (it aint a mac though... my mac has netscape 3.1)

[ October 09, 2002: Message edited by: The Master of Reality / Bob ]

Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

BLAH

« Reply #24 on: 10 October 2002, 01:33 »
thank you for your help everyone! And yes, i am aware that AOL sucks ass, I only have it because i'm locked into some 1 billion year contract with them or something  

So I think my problem was something i changed in the preferences, though I'm still not sure what it was. I deleted all the mozilla files off my computer as someone suggested, then reinstalled it. When i opened it, it worked, and then i changed all my preferences to what I had before. When i closed the browser and opened it up again it did that weird thing i mentioned before.

So I deleted all the files again, reintalled it, left some things alone in the preferences area and now it works.

Oh yea, and can anyone possibly reccommend a good isp that I can use for both my PC and MAC? (PC for the parents, and the MAC for me). Hm maybe I should just start a separate thread..   ;)

psyjax

• VIP
« Reply #25 on: 10 October 2002, 04:36 »
Earthlink is good, and shadow.net provides good Cable/T1/DSL types stuff. They also got cheep dialup.

As for Mozilla not Jiving with Netscape, this happend to me back when Mozilla was beta so it may have been fixed. But from the sounds of your problem, it sounds like there may have still been some minor issues. You may want to file a report at Mozilla.org
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR