Author Topic: Using PC as a file server  (Read 829 times)

scottmso

• Kudos: 0
Using PC as a file server
« on: 15 July 2002, 22:10 »
I have a PC with M$ Windoze XP Home and Mandrake Linux 8.2, and an iMac 400 DV with MacOS 9.0.4. Is there software (for Linux or Windoze) that I can use to make the PC's hard drive act like a file server for the iMac?

pkd_lives

« Reply #1 on: 15 July 2002, 23:05 »
There used to be a program called PC Maclan, which was made by a company called Miramar systems, I think. This could make pc and mac talk together, but I hear it had a bug or two. It had a fileserver program as part of the application. Don't know if it is still available.

A URL that may help http://www.miramar.com/

[ July 15, 2002: Message edited by: pkd ]

Tough - Adapt or die : Read The Fucking Manual.

Local Area Network in Australia: the LAN down under.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #2 on: 16 July 2002, 03:09 »
does this software include "pc"s running BSD? or Linux? or solaris? do you mean "PC" or "Microsoft windows"?
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

scottmso

« Reply #3 on: 16 July 2002, 03:24 »
. (sorry)

[ July 15, 2002: Message edited by: scott ]

pkd_lives

« Reply #4 on: 16 July 2002, 03:43 »
Your implication is quite correct Calum, I should have made it clear, that as far as I am aware it is Windows and Mac. However, I believe there was some development for it for Unix, but I am not up-to-date on this, and the unix stuff is only hearsay, and that was why I sought out a link for the software, to help clarify the situation, and let people judge for themselves.

I should report back that the older versions have been decribed to me as 'buggy', which does not suprise me in the least, anything linking Mac and Windows seems bound to be tied up in bugs as those companies will never see eye-to-eye. I have not had problems, but then I never used it extensively, something that may actually happen as the company I now work for has Macs and Windows, unfortunatley they are dropping the Mac stuff, slowly.
Tough - Adapt or die : Read The Fucking Manual.

Local Area Network in Australia: the LAN down under.

choasmaster

« Reply #5 on: 16 July 2002, 04:25 »
isn't there a program for macintosh to read and write to nfs volumes. and windows can read samba. with a little bit of UNIX PLUMBING. it would be easy to setup up/*thinks back to warped slackware howto for personal experiences with  "UNIX PLUMBING"*/
id rather be on fire then use windoze

x86, a hack on a hack of a hack
alpha, the compaqed way
ppc, the fruity way
mips, the graphical way
m68k, the NeXT way
sparc, the reliable way

billy_gates

• http://www.skinner.com/jeffberg
« Reply #6 on: 16 July 2002, 08:44 »
Well it is a little strange for the server to connect to the guests, usually it goes the other way around.  So, u want Dave or OSX.  This will allow your mac to connect to your PC (Windows and Unix).  There is one warning however, HFS has special characteristics that FAT and NTFS don't have.  Be aware that some files, I found it was mainly VISE Installers, will get ruined when you copy them to the FAT or NTFS partition over the network with either Dave or OSX.