Author Topic: dead iBook HD  (Read 830 times)

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
dead iBook HD
« on: 29 January 2004, 02:45 »
the HD in my iBook died... I don't know what I'm going to do
Go the fuck ~

Claris

• Kudos: 109
    • http://hompage.mac.com/neonsoldierx/PhotoAlbum3.html
dead iBook HD
« Reply #1 on: 2 February 2004, 01:50 »
Get another Mac around and boot up your ibook in FireWire Target Disk Mode. You might have a few minutes where you can copy some data off and rescue it.
Windows: 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
dead iBook HD
« Reply #2 on: 2 February 2004, 02:54 »
quote:
Originally posted by jimmyjames.sytes.net:
the HD in my iBook died... I don't know what I'm going to do

I can't believe this! My iBook's HD died as well yesterday. I managed to fire it up today for a few minutes but it started making some grinding noises and then died again   :(  

For the history, it was an iBook 600, purchased on September 2002. It has been torchured beyond imagination and the fact that the HD finally died does not surprise me much.

In any case Jimmy, we have the same poblem and what a fucking coincidence... 2 days later  :eek:

[ February 01, 2004: Message edited by: Panos ]

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
dead iBook HD
« Reply #3 on: 2 February 2004, 03:00 »
Isn't there some sort of trick involving a freezer and strange ritualistic tapping to revive a disk temporarily?
Contains scenes of mild peril.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
dead iBook HD
« Reply #4 on: 2 February 2004, 04:16 »
Claris,

already did it. it had been acting up lately, and I was running OS 9 at the time, and I tried to restart to OS X and it didn't show up in Startup Disk, and it wouldn't work when I booted holding down x.

so I firewired all my stuff over to my iMac in preparation to format and reinstall OS X.

I reinstalled, and restarted... X wouldn't start... after a few more reboots, the drive just quit.

and Panos, mine is also a fall 01 600 MHz. it's been well taken care of for the year that I've had it, but I'm the second owner. I also use it an awful lot. I've only got 384MB in it... when I replace the drive, I'll upgrade the RAM as well to cut down on drive grinding.

I'm still sad about it

oh well... I'll manage to get a replacement.

I might just save up $400 and let Powerbook ResQ handle it all, and let em throw a 512MB stick in it while they've got it open.
Go the fuck ~

Claris

• Kudos: 109
    • http://hompage.mac.com/neonsoldierx/PhotoAlbum3.html
dead iBook HD
« Reply #5 on: 6 February 2004, 07:42 »
Just buy a 60gb drive and stick it in there. It's much more reasonable cost-wise, and it's not difficult to do. My old man did it on my sister's book.
Windows: 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
dead iBook HD
« Reply #6 on: 8 February 2004, 05:18 »
quote:
Originally posted by jimmyjames.sytes.net:
Claris,

already did it. it had been acting up lately, and I was running OS 9 at the time, and I tried to restart to OS X and it didn't show up in Startup Disk, and it wouldn't work when I booted holding down x.

so I firewired all my stuff over to my iMac in preparation to format and reinstall OS X.

I reinstalled, and restarted... X wouldn't start... after a few more reboots, the drive just quit.

and Panos, mine is also a fall 01 600 MHz. it's been well taken care of for the year that I've had it, but I'm the second owner. I also use it an awful lot. I've only got 384MB in it... when I replace the drive, I'll upgrade the RAM as well to cut down on drive grinding.

I'm still sad about it

oh well... I'll manage to get a replacement.

I might just save up $400 and let Powerbook ResQ handle it all, and let em throw a 512MB stick in it while they've got it open.

Well, mine is dead for sure but in any case I am thinking of saving up a bit, exchange this one and get an iMac or eMac since I already have another portable.

In any case, I am missing my iBook terribly as I used to use it 98% of my time   :(  Oh well. As I read in an article on a related issue:

"There are 2 types of computer users out there. Those who have had an HD failure and those that will."

I guess we both fall in the same category now.   :(

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
dead iBook HD
« Reply #7 on: 9 February 2004, 01:27 »
yeah

oh well. shit happens.
Go the fuck ~

Mynameiscoolerthanyours

• Kudos: 0
dead iBook HD
« Reply #8 on: 10 March 2004, 04:57 »
You could go to the apple store and use network startup then copy the mac os data
javascript:%20x()
UP YOURS

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
dead iBook HD
« Reply #9 on: 10 March 2004, 05:00 »
yes. you could. you could copy it.

where would you copy it to or from? seeing that there's a non-functioning HD inside it, you can't put it on or get it off the iBook.
Go the fuck ~

Paladin9

• VIP
  • Kudos: 263
dead iBook HD
« Reply #10 on: 10 March 2004, 08:05 »
Just get a new HD

To create a new standard, it takes something that's not just a little bit different; it takes something that's really new and really captures people's imagination

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
dead iBook HD
« Reply #11 on: 10 March 2004, 10:59 »
quote:
Just get a new HD

no shit? well, gawwwwwly! why didn't I think of that. it's so damn simple. I THINK I'LL TAKE YOURS.
Go the fuck ~

Paladin9

• VIP
  • Kudos: 263
dead iBook HD
« Reply #12 on: 15 March 2004, 06:10 »
I do not know why people are telling you to do all of this weird crap becuase of your dead HD.  From what I understand, you cant read data off a dead HD.  If it is still possible to read data off of it, then it is not dead!  If it is dead, then all you can do is get a new HD, and I am sure is it possible to get a new one for an iBook instead of throwing away the whole thing and buying a new one.

To create a new standard, it takes something that's not just a little bit different; it takes something that's really new and really captures people's imagination