Author Topic: The Rumers still live!  (Read 1080 times)

cloudstrife

• Kudos: 0
The Rumers still live!
« Reply #15 on: 30 May 2002, 05:35 »
i have a copy of darwin/x86.. and while i must say that i think apple has a GREAT idea here, don't get excited just yet... it only supports a few ide drives, motherboards, etc.  i had to scrap 3 old computers just to build one that i could install darwin to.  Still, thanks apple!

ravuya

• VIP
The Rumers still live!
« Reply #16 on: 30 May 2002, 18:39 »
Darwin/x86 is pretty cool, especially if you install the X Window System and start running window managers on top of it.

It's just too bad about the lack of hardware support. I think it really has a chance to topple Linux as chief UNIX for the consumer, and maybe cause decent inroads into serving.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
The Rumers still live!
« Reply #17 on: 30 May 2002, 20:42 »
ok, there's no way that windows will ever disappear completely, or that Microsoft will ever file for bankruptcy.

Also, re: comments about nobody would buy MacOSX for ix86, because all software is pirated, and nobody would think they were going to get software et c that's just not true. Look at linux! look at BSD, to a lesser extent. You may say, "oh but linux is free", yes well, support is not, and linux support is a growing industry, thus proving that people will pay if they think they will get what they pay for. It's not about little bootlegging kids copying CDs for each other anyway, it's about companies.
Plus, if Apple pulled off the (to me) amazing feat of making MacOS binaries run on MacOSX, surely it will be simplicity itself to make MacOS (X or otherwise) programs run on an ix86 version of same, thus allowing people to use any and all of their existing Mac -compatible software on their x86...

re: windows releasing their source code. If they did, i suspect it would be both good and bad (for the M$ES!) because it would (on the good side) mean that people could (and a lot of misguided fools would) get the code, improve on it, rewrite it in C++, replace the useless bits, shave off the legacy crap and so on and so forth, and after a while, freewindows would actually be quite a useful alternative OS itself. On the other hand, all that stuff i just said, which i suspect sould easily strengthen Microsoft's position in much the same way as, well, netscape communications last decade.

[ May 30, 2002: Message edited by: Calum ]

visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

ravuya

• VIP
The Rumers still live!
« Reply #18 on: 31 May 2002, 04:16 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum:
It's not about little bootlegging kids copying CDs for each other anyway, it's about companies.
[ May 30, 2002: Message edited by: Calum ]

I'm sorry, but IMO it is -- if you run a business like Apple's where you sell your software at a lower price point and a minimal amount of people will purchase it because it's 'unproven' on x86 (which will be the EXACT reason why a windows user won't pick it up... that and the rumors about lack of support for standards, etc, etc, standard microsoft FUD), piracy is really going to cut into your bottom line. I suspect it already is for Apple -- lots of Mac OS X copies are flying around on Hotline.

The Czar

The Rumers still live!
« Reply #19 on: 3 June 2002, 03:53 »
Windows users pirate Windows software. While it would be a problem for Apple, the majority of people who are going to use this software are people like us. We know and realize that if we pirate it, there will be no enhancement to it. Hard-core Windows users won't buy it and they won't download it either. It'd be at least 400mb, maybe even more. Hardcore Windows users won't tie up precious bandwidth downloading such a 'trivial' program.

I, on the other hand, would camp out to get OS X for the x86!
If Windows XP is really superior, then why does this site exist?

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
The Rumers still live!
« Reply #20 on: 3 June 2002, 05:15 »
i do agree with ravuya, but i also think that there are certain different cultures and that certain types are more likely to pirate stuff than others...
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

mormop

The Rumers still live!
« Reply #21 on: 21 June 2002, 02:45 »
I wouldn't count on M$ being around forever. A lot of people point out that M$ staff are paid in share options to offset low wages (for the work they do).

If the states case goes agains M$ the developers could bail out cashing in their share options for fear of a stock plummet leading investors to pull there money, maxing their share payouts.

As M$ bases it's business model on a continually increasing stream of revenue the effect would be fairly devastating particularly with M$ acting in such an arrogant way during their trial.

Let's all hope eh? A MAC / Linux world with BSD hanging around in the background would be a good place to be. Might even be worth bringing BeOS back. Tried it, brilliant, just not enough software.

Keep an open mind, try everything and find the OS that best suits you.
Or stick head up arse and buy XP.