Author Topic: pci cards  (Read 894 times)

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
pci cards
« on: 20 March 2003, 04:55 »
I'm just completely lost. I want to get a PCI card for my PowerMac 5500/225 running Mac OS 9.1 (to give it USB capabilities). The problem is that every card I've seen requires PCI slots version 2.1 (or something like that)  which are standard in the PowerMac G3 Beige and later. Is there a place I can get a compatible card? I've been looking around MacMall, Mac Connection, Mac Warehouse, and Mac Zone. Can anyone help me?

If you want more details about my computer, go here.

emh

• Kudos: 0
pci cards
« Reply #1 on: 20 March 2003, 05:48 »
Do you have any reason to think your PCI slots aren't version 2.1 compliant?  I didn't see anything on the page you linked to to suggest they weren't.

M51DPS

• VIP
pci cards
« Reply #2 on: 21 March 2003, 02:21 »
What's happened a couple of times so far is I buy a PCI card, try it, ask the company why it doesn't work (of course I send them a report from the Apple System Profiler, play with extensions a bit, and make sure it is installed correctly), then they tell me that I need at least a PowerMac G3 Beige or better to use the card because the computer's hardware has the required PCI standard.

M51DPS

• VIP
pci cards
« Reply #3 on: 29 March 2003, 19:29 »
Luckily I found a card from Sonnet Technologies here. The thing is that I don't want something that's going to cost me $90 each because I want to buy 7, and $630 is a lot of money just for this. Anyone have an idea of where I can get PCI cards with or without firewire that will cost me $20 or less?

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
pci cards
« Reply #4 on: 29 March 2003, 19:59 »
Get a PC. MWAHAHAHA

eBay? You can find anything on eBay.

M51DPS

• VIP
pci cards
« Reply #5 on: 30 March 2003, 05:00 »
I just checked, and cards on eBay and Amazon.com are all from companies like Iogear, Belkin, and SIIG (whose products don't support my model). At eBay they do have the card from Sonnet that I was looking at for a good price, but there was only 1 available and I need 7. Anybody know any good companies that I can look into?