Author Topic: tell me about mac os  (Read 1902 times)

Mistshadow

• Kudos: 0
tell me about mac os
« on: 13 January 2004, 03:20 »
Seriously. I haven't been near a Mac since before Windows even existed. Just for example, what kind of software is included besides just the os? I know such-and-such is included, but what is like? Where are there screnshots online? And so on.

[ January 12, 2004: Message edited by: Mistshadow ]

"Given the choice between accomplishing something and just lying around, I'd rather lie around. No contest." - Eric Clapton

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
tell me about mac os
« Reply #1 on: 13 January 2004, 04:06 »

Pissed_Macman

• VIP
    • http://www.macrevolution.tk
tell me about mac os
« Reply #2 on: 13 January 2004, 08:01 »
OS X comes with tons of great Apps. iTunes, Safari, iMovie, great stuff.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
tell me about mac os
« Reply #3 on: 13 January 2004, 08:47 »
It's a completely different world than it used to be

Go the fuck ~

Pissed_Macman

• VIP
tell me about mac os
« Reply #4 on: 13 January 2004, 21:00 »
You honestly typed "microsuck.com" into your browser and went to the forums before you thought of going to Apple.com?

Mistshadow

tell me about mac os
« Reply #5 on: 13 January 2004, 21:12 »
Been to apple.com a dozen times or so, but thanks for being rude anyway. I want to know what the software is *like*, not just lists of what there is. How much graphics-editing software is availible for osx besides photoshop? Any as good as the gimp? Does iTunes sounds as good as xmms on Linux (best mp3 playing program I've ever heard)? Any better office/word processing apps besides M$ office? Stuff like that.

I understand some unix/bsd software works on osx, it being a bsd system. How compatible is it with the majority of 'nix programs? And what about updating? Linux updates with a click and a confirmation; how easy is it on osx?
"Given the choice between accomplishing something and just lying around, I'd rather lie around. No contest." - Eric Clapton

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
tell me about mac os
« Reply #6 on: 13 January 2004, 12:19 »
quote:
Been to apple.com a dozen times or so, but thanks for being rude anyway. I want to know what the software is *like*, not just lists of what there is.

It's great. It really is.

quote:
How much graphics-editing software is availible for osx besides photoshop?

A considerable amount.

quote:
Any as good as the gimp?

Yes. In fact, the Gimp is one of them... however it requires running X11. It doesn't run natively using Quartz yet... I don't think.

quote:
Does iTunes sounds as good as xmms on Linux (best mp3 playing program I've ever heard)?

Yes, it does. Oh, iTunes also handles real playlists and it manages your files. It also is your portal to the iTunes Music Service.

quote:
Any better office/word processing apps besides M$ office? Stuff like that.

What's wrong with MS Office for Mac? Nothing. MS's Mac products are top quality, always outshining their Windows counterparts.

quote:
I understand some unix/bsd software works on osx, it being a bsd system. How compatible is it with the majority of 'nix programs?

Mac OS X runs an entire BSD subsystem through Mach, the microkernel at the heart of it all. Then, atop the BSD layers are Mac OS X. OS X is in fact NeXTStep. Mac OS X can run native Cocoa (OS X's native API), YellowBox (OpenStep), Carbon (transitional from Mac OS 8.6-9.2.2), Classic (old Mac OS apps), and is code-compatible with BSD, and most Linux apps.

But the question is... why would you want to run UNIX apps on it? They won't run using Quartz, won't use Aqua, won't act like native apps, and won't follow the UI guidelines. If you're thinking that Mac OS X is "Just Another Unix"... you're wrong.

quote:
And what about updating? Linux updates with a click and a confirmation; how easy is it on osx?

Just about the same. Software Update does it for you.
Go the fuck ~

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
tell me about mac os
« Reply #7 on: 13 January 2004, 12:21 »
whoa... I just realized something. You haven't used a Mac since before Windows existed? So you haven't used a Mac since 1985?
Go the fuck ~

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
tell me about mac os
« Reply #8 on: 13 January 2004, 20:16 »
quote:
Jimmy don't give a shit about MS: whoa... I just realized something. You haven't used a Mac since before Windows existed? So you haven't used a Mac since 1985?

Many people still think that Bill Gates invented computers as we know them.

Compare:
  • Mac OS 1. Monochrome colour, but kicked ass. Screenshot
  • Windows 1 beta. Monochrome and ugly like hell. Screenshot
  • Windows 1. In colour, but it sucked. The windows couldn't even overlap each other, while Mac OS 1 could. Screenshot.
  • Mac OS 2. Looks very good, in 256 or 24-bit colour. Screenshot.
  • Windows 2. Looks like shit, but at least the windows can overlap each other now. Screenshot.

Mistshadow

tell me about mac os
« Reply #9 on: 13 January 2004, 21:57 »
THanks, Jimmy! That's exactly the kind of stuff I wanted to know.:-D Haven't used one since I was kid in school. Now I need money!

Yeah, Refalm, it's amazing, isn't it, considering how M$ took over the market when it was originally just a poor man's computer? And it's still way behind osx & linux in quality. Great example of successful mass brainwashing.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
tell me about mac os
« Reply #10 on: 14 January 2004, 01:03 »
System 2 didn't support color per se. The Mac II did. System 2 looked the same as System 1, down to the monochrome appearance scheme. Mac OS didn't get a "color look" and graphics until System 7. But it did support 256 color graphics in 1987, along with 24-bit color via the Williams Color Model.
Go the fuck ~

mushrooomprince

• Kudos: 55
tell me about mac os
« Reply #11 on: 14 January 2004, 04:55 »
All your base are belong to us.

Pissed_Macman

• VIP
tell me about mac os
« Reply #12 on: 14 January 2004, 21:08 »
quote:
but thanks for being rude anyway.

No problem.

Claris

• Kudos: 109
    • http://hompage.mac.com/neonsoldierx/PhotoAlbum3.html
tell me about mac os
« Reply #13 on: 15 January 2004, 04:19 »
quote:
Originally posted by Mistshadow:

I understand some unix/bsd software works on osx, it being a bsd system. How compatible is it with the majority of 'nix programs?

Unix programs run like a dream through an app called FinkCommander. I'm not sure what exactly it does, but I do know it's the best and easiest way to enable Unix apps on Mac.

quote:

And what about updating? Linux updates with a click and a confirmation; how easy is it on osx?

OS X has a great feature called Software Update, which automatically checks the Apple server at user-defined intervals for system updates. It easy, automatically updates any and all Apple software, from the system to iTunes to Quicktime.

and it's very hackable, skinable, etc. looky:

Windows: 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
tell me about mac os
« Reply #14 on: 15 January 2004, 06:15 »
some of you guys with the ultra custom desktops trip me out
Go the fuck ~