Author Topic: tell me about mac os  (Read 1873 times)

Mistshadow

• Kudos: 0
tell me about mac os
« Reply #15 on: 15 January 2004, 06:51 »
Sure as hell looks good.    Comfortable, with a slightly Unix-y feel.

THanks again, guys. That's the sort of thing I wanted to know. Unfortunately, the ads tend to just mention what software is included, with little description of the software, and compare it to Windows. I mean, when it comes to stability, lack of viruses, customizable, etc. you get all that with Linux. I was like "what else? what's it like to use?"
"Given the choice between accomplishing something and just lying around, I'd rather lie around. No contest." - Eric Clapton

Stilly

• Kudos: 29
    • http://kickassshit.tk/
tell me about mac os
« Reply #16 on: 15 January 2004, 07:01 »
that wraith icon is badass, where'd u get it?
just say know

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
tell me about mac os
« Reply #17 on: 15 January 2004, 08:10 »
it's the default icon of Starcraft's Carbon patch
Go the fuck ~

Stilly

tell me about mac os
« Reply #18 on: 15 January 2004, 21:11 »
thats crazy cool
just say know

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
tell me about mac os
« Reply #19 on: 15 January 2004, 11:53 »
double post, please delete this one

[ January 15, 2004: Message edited by: Jimmy don't give a shit about MS ]

Go the fuck ~

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
tell me about mac os
« Reply #20 on: 16 January 2004, 00:44 »
UNIX-y feel?

Not really. You have to *go look for* the UNIX stuff. Your portal is Terminal ( located at /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app). Terminal is just that... it's like xterm in *nix.

But, Mac OS X is a strange animal, it's both "a UNIX" and "not a UNIX".

Darwin, the core bits of the OS are built from the Mach kernel, using a BSD subsystem. All the utilities are from BSD code.

You never see any of the UNIX, because, honestly, it has no bearing on what you're doing. The BSD subsystem provides kernel-level drivers for hardware and devices. User-level access is provided through the NeXTStep layers that ride atop UNIX.

If you know anything at all about NeXTStep or OpenStep, or Rhapsody, then you can bank on it that OS X is 99% the same.

The parts that make it OS X, though, are all high-level Objective-C classes and frameworks that ride atop Darwin. All of those parts could easily run on any OS. Be it Linux, NT, Be OS, or even Mac OS 9.2.2.

Native OS X apps use one of two APIs, Cocoa, which is an updated version of YellowBox (the NeXTStep/OpenStep API), and Carbon, which is an overhaul of the classic Mac OS API. Carbon can run natively on both OS 9 and OS X.

UNIX apps are much lower level, and are kinda primitive in comparison. UNIX apps cannot access Quartz (the display layer) or use Aqua (the UI and appearance). OS X doesn't include X11. It can be installed from Disc 3 of the OS X 10.3 CD, or downloaded from Apple, but I think it only runs on 10.3 now.

[ January 15, 2004: Message edited by: Jimmy don't give a shit about MS ]

Go the fuck ~

idlepython3

• Kudos: 0
tell me about mac os
« Reply #21 on: 16 January 2004, 02:07 »
i'm a mac virgin myself, and those pics just make me envy you mac owners.  only time i've used osx was once at a compusa, it was a mac dual g4 with that widescreen display they have.  damn i wish m$ hadn't put me in their pocket already or else i'd go out and buy one right now.
save the penguins, bust the trusts!
"If Bill Gates had a nickel for every time Windows crashed... oh wait, he
does."

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
tell me about mac os
« Reply #22 on: 16 January 2004, 03:46 »
sell your peecees!
Go the fuck ~

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
tell me about mac os
« Reply #23 on: 16 January 2004, 06:37 »
Hmmm...from looking at the screenshots here, I see some of KDE and XFCE for Linux.  Who copied off of who?  :D  (read: i really don't know, when did the OSX look first show on Mac?)
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
tell me about mac os
« Reply #24 on: 16 January 2004, 14:12 »

The Mac OS X UI evolved mainly from the classic Mac OS.

You're gonna see all kinds of stuff.

But as for accurate, look at my screenie. It's in a nearly default state. The Dock at the bottom is an evolution of the NeXTStep Dock. The desktop is provided by the Finder, and it works pretty much the same way it has since 1984.

That shows a Finder window in Column view.

And that's a Finder window in Tree view. There's of course the good 'ol fashioned icon view as well. Finder is VERY different from other desktops, in that it's laid out so drastically differently.

The list of folders over on the left is the Sidebar. You can drop icons over there. Folders, Apps, documents. anything. It holds them kinda like a dock. Click on a folder and it opens in the current window. Drop something on a folder in the sidebar and the object you're dropping is copied or moved to the folder, based on what you want to do. Drop a document on an app icon and it opens in the app.

The sidebar can be closed up, and even turned completely off, along with the toolbar, by clicking that little widget in the top right of the window. Without the toolbar, Finder windows lose the brushed look. I kinda like it though.
Go the fuck ~

Stilly

tell me about mac os
« Reply #25 on: 17 January 2004, 04:53 »
kinda off topic but thats all the new finder is? allt hey did was move the files that were at the top of the window to the side and made it all ugly
just say know

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
tell me about mac os
« Reply #26 on: 17 January 2004, 13:14 »
yeah. that's all they did. add the sidebar and made it brushed metal. they made some under-the-hood changes.

what should they have done?
Go the fuck ~

Stilly

tell me about mac os
« Reply #27 on: 17 January 2004, 13:20 »
I dont know, but they made a fairly big deal of it and I was afraid it might be too different
just say know

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
tell me about mac os
« Reply #28 on: 19 January 2004, 01:22 »
seeing as it's the second MAJOR change to  the Finder since it was created... it's pretty big. lol

The Finder didn't change much at all between the original and Mac OS 9.2.2.

In OS X it got reworked, obviously. And then it got these changes made to it.
Go the fuck ~

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
tell me about mac os
« Reply #29 on: 24 January 2004, 04:00 »
quote:
Originally posted by The Stiller:
I dont know, but they made a fairly big deal of it and I was afraid it might be too different

I must say stiller, it does make a big diffrence to workflow. At first I didn't like it. I thought it was a bit bulky, and brushed metal allways anoyed me, but once I started using the new fetures I quickly saw the advantage of the changes.

Before you would go digging alot in OSX to find what you wanted. If your a file horder like me, this can be a trying endevor. Now the finder has all the stuff you use all the time one click away.

You can change the finder back to it's normal look by clicking the losenge shaped button on the top-right.

Also, the built in search function is incredibly responsive, even on my G4 400 laptop. It was definetly a good move.

BTW Jimmy, those are some spectacular posts you made before! Good work!
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR