Author Topic: why are macs so damn expensive??  (Read 3158 times)

Chooco

• Kudos: 0
why are macs so damn expensive??
« Reply #30 on: 10 July 2002, 01:42 »
quote:
Originally posted by Windows XP User #5225982375:
I'll be playing Morrowind in 1280x960 at 50 fps on my geforce 4 ti4600 and multitasking between 3ds Max and Photoshop 7.

omg that is terrible dude! make sure you have the latest drivers for that card.

slave

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
« Reply #31 on: 10 July 2002, 03:27 »
I know sarcasm when I hear it.

(In case you're serious, yes, I have gotten the lastest drivers.  Morrowind is just a very demanding game; it won't even run on most people's computers.  Look at some of the screenshots. By the way games like Quake 3 run at hundreds of frames per second on this computer)

Chooco

« Reply #32 on: 10 July 2002, 07:01 »
is that any good? what's it about? does it have any good mods?

Lloydr

« Reply #33 on: 10 July 2002, 08:06 »
yea i gotta admit....elder scrolls 3 is a very demanding game....very demanding lol my buddy running a 1ghz pentium3 512mb ram and a geforce2 MX (forgot which mx lol) had to upgrade his card b/c 32mb vid ram couldn't cut it with the game to make it look or play decent....he's running i think it's a geforce4 ti4400 and it's doin good but the game is extremely demanding LMFAO

slave

« Reply #34 on: 11 July 2002, 08:34 »
quote:
is that any good? what's it about? does it have any good mods?  

Yes its probably the most fun I've had in a while.  The game is so open ended you can pretty do whatever you want in it.  It also comes with the editor Bethesda used to make the game, so you can make your own maps, NPCS, items, dialogue, etc.  You can even get plugins for Maya and 3ds Max to let you create your own models and put them in the game.

the_black_angel

« Reply #35 on: 11 July 2002, 16:40 »
Windows XP User #9484679812983614298216421 I am currently running a 350Mhz G4 with 128Mhz of RAM (SD) and i am currently Multitasking between The Gimp, Bryce 5, and watching Dungeons and Dragons, while MacMPEG2Decoder is converting a .m2v into a Sorenson 3 .mov in the background. (1600x1200)

Try doing that on your 'great" X86 system, thats with a 2 year old graphics card as well loser, i have not come across any 2 year X86 system that can do that.

Also that game that you are going on about sounds alright, although the fact that they included the editor they used to create the game comes mighty close to being an opensourced game does it not? you would be able to totally recreate the game? make new games?

I don't play any of the latest and greatest games anyway, they all just seem too similar to me i would rather play a game of StarCraft or Diablo 2 over a 1st person shooter any day.

By the way Apples rule, Windows is shit. And almost any flavor of UNIX is good.
--
The Black Angel

Chooco

« Reply #36 on: 11 July 2002, 16:55 »
i used to play Diablo2 LOTS, i mean like 20 hours per day. i would go to bed at like 3PM and wake up at like 11PM then start playing....

i have to log in, seriously. i have 2 baranar's star and i would hate to lose them, just chill out AFK for 2 hours eheheheheh

slave

« Reply #37 on: 11 July 2002, 19:48 »
quote:
 Windows XP User #9484679812983614298216421 I am currently running a 350Mhz G4 with 128Mhz of RAM (SD) and i am currently Multitasking between The Gimp, Bryce 5, and watching Dungeons and Dragons, while MacMPEG2Decoder is converting a .m2v into a Sorenson 3 .mov in the background. (1600x1200)

Actually, I used to multitask between 3ds max 4, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and WMP on my 2.5 year old 700 mhz PC all the time.  And that was in WINDOWS 98.

PS This G4 must be running OS X; everyone knows OS 9 is shit at multitasking.

In terms of raw power, I'll bet my PC can beat anyone's macintosh here (single processor) at practically any task.  Just give me some way to benchmark my system to compare it to a Mac, especially a photoshop one; I'd like to see if Apple is telling the truth about that.  I could have gotten an Athlon MP system but thats getting up there in price (although a dual 1900 mhz processor system would still be cheaper than a dual 1ghz g4 system)

cocoamix

« Reply #38 on: 11 July 2002, 20:17 »
Can I run OS X on it? No?
Fuck it then.
Hey Windoze XP user, nice sig. "Go Banana!"

the_black_angel

« Reply #39 on: 11 July 2002, 20:20 »
Actually it was in both Mac OS 9 and OS X, as MacMPEG2Decoder and Bryce 5 only work in classic environments.

What are the specs on your system?

Mines:

350Mhz G4
Bus: 100Mhz
128Mb PC100 SDRAM
ATI rage 128 Pro (2x AGP)
1 mb Backside cache
10 Gb HD Ultra ATA/66 7200 RPM
20 Gb external HD firewire 7200 RPM (no Apps running of it)
DVD-ROM
Gigaflops: 0.7 - 2.8

Its rated at about a 1Ghz P3 by the way.

On my machine the encoding takes about Double actual movie time. But thats the price i pay for having DVD quality movies fitting on 1 CD-R, in the original size that is.  

Why would i run Photoshop in windows it looks like crap and takes forever to do anything.

A true test would be to get the latest systems from Apple, Intel and AMD with the most popular peloaded system on it and run 3-4 apps at once and see things like CPU and memory usauge, time to complete tasks in the background, and time to complete task in the foreground because this is what the majority of users actually do.

Then we will see what system is actually faster. instead of just refering to figures on a peice of paper/in a file.

Send me the systems and i will willingly do it for you  
--
The Black Angel

the_black_angel

« Reply #40 on: 11 July 2002, 20:25 »
Going back to the first post apple bought a shitload of SDRAM A while ago - This is part of the reason hat RAM through Apple is so expensive.

There is a problem with buying the least amount RAM  from Apple then going and buying 3rd party RAM it voids part of your warrenty. if you want to keep that warrenty bee careful. Take out the RAM before you take it in to be serviced  
--
The Black Angel

Zimphire

« Reply #41 on: 12 July 2002, 00:49 »
quote:
Originally posted by Windows XP User #5225982375:

Actually, I used to multitask between 3ds max 4, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and WMP on my 2.5 year old 700 mhz PC all the time.  And that was in WINDOWS 98.

PS This G4 must be running OS X; everyone knows OS 9 is shit at multitasking.

In terms of raw power, I'll bet my PC can beat anyone's macintosh here (single processor) at practically any task.  Just give me some way to benchmark my system to compare it to a Mac, especially a photoshop one; I'd like to see if Apple is telling the truth about that.  I could have gotten an Athlon MP system but thats getting up there in price (although a dual 1900 mhz processor system would still be cheaper than a dual 1ghz g4 system)

Yeah it might be a couple seconds faster :jackofficonhere: But for what I do, in the long run the Mac saves me more time.

I don't have to deal with lame color profiles to get my color to match correctly, nor do I have to deal with the dodgy font problems that are STILL in WinXP

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #42 on: 16 July 2002, 21:17 »
quote:
Originally posted by the_black_angel:
There is a problem with buying the least amount RAM  from Apple then going and buying 3rd party RAM it voids part of your warrenty. if you want to keep that warrenty bee careful. Take out the RAM before you take it in to be serviced    

No it dosn't. You can replace HD's, RAM, PCI cards, Video cards, etc. Without any breah of waranty. Doing things like they do over at applefritter.com may get you in a bit of a bind tho  :D
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

the_black_angel

« Reply #43 on: 16 July 2002, 21:38 »
I was talking to the Local "Mac Guy" at GMac and he said that you can get these changed but could not put these in myself with out voiding the warranty. I had to get it done by a guy with the piece of paper.

Of course my warranty has run out now so i'm free to "upgrade" all i want. I was thinking of going clear and outting a few neons in it but i run a few LANs and that would get annoying - although if i fit a switch like they did it might be viable hhhhmmm interesting... I'll get back to you

[ July 16, 2002: Message edited by: the_black_angel ]

--
The Black Angel

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #44 on: 17 July 2002, 00:11 »
That warrenty buissness must have something with that local guy. Apple has explicit instructions on their site and in the computers manual/online help about how to install RAM etc.

As a matter of fact, I had a HD go bad a while back, and my computer being under warenty I called Apple and they asked if I knew how to install a HD. I said yes, and they shiped the replacement right to me.

They know my sys. specs, and that I have 3rd party internal hardware, but they didn't deny me service.

Well, maybe it's a don't ask don't tell sort of siruation  :D

I have been dieing to Mod up a Mac for a while. I have this OLD centris 650 that I want to do over. It's a junky machine so I won't miss it if I screw it up.

*sigh* I shouldent speak so low of it, in truth that old Centris is probably the best built computer I have ever used. They don't make 'em like that anymore.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR