Author Topic: Questions about Netscape  (Read 3241 times)

panophobia

• Kudos: 0
    • http://geocities.com/blog_v4
Questions about Netscape
« on: 22 January 2002, 23:00 »
Is Netscape really that much safer than using IE5 (or other versions)? If this is so true, what exactly makes it that much safer to use?

I'm of course referring to the recent article about cookies/history and the "really" hidden files.

Probably an obvious answer, but I'm just curious to know what makes Netscape better than IE.
\Panophobia\

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
Questions about Netscape
« Reply #1 on: 23 January 2002, 01:52 »
I think both IE *and* Netscape pretty much suck. I am becoming a big fan of KDE Konqueror even though it is not problem free (periodically hangs for me).  

I really like the control you have over JavaScript, Java, and Cookies. It can use the Netscape plugins (for flash etc). You can change the browser identification to a number of presets (IE on Win2k, etc) or you can set the identification to your own string.

Finally, it doesn't ever try to "phone home" so I feel a lot more comfortable that I am not being tracked.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Centurian

• http://www.darkmares.2ya.com
Questions about Netscape
« Reply #2 on: 23 January 2002, 07:28 »
Hey,

I have to agree with VoidMain. Both IE and Netscape suck. If your running under Windows I would recommend the Mozilla browser. Mozilla is the engine that netscape runs on. Mozilla is 100% freeware. It does have the phone home included but you can choose not to install it at install time. Mozilla runs circles around both IE and Netscape once it has started. It is a bit slow to startup though. You can turn on the quick launch option to cut down on the start time tremendously. You can find the latest build of Mozilla at www.mozilla.org

Alternatively the second choice is Opera. It is not IMHO the best browser around (I am sure someone will flame me on that statement) but it certainly beats IE hands down.

Under Linux I personally like both Konqueror, Galeon and Mozilla. Konqueror offers a comfortable file manager like feel which tends to be rather nice in a browser. In my recent understanding of Linux Konqueror seems to run under all desktops. Galeon on the other hand requires the Gnome desktop to be installed but it supports a very nice familiar interface for people who are used to IE style browsers. Mozilla has a place all to itself in my opinion. Runs very nicely under linux and offers a feel simular to Netscape but without the overload of bulk extra crap.

Later
Centurian
Later
Centurian

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Questions about Netscape
« Reply #3 on: 23 January 2002, 16:42 »
I'm not flaming, but opera is the best browser around, due to its frugality with resources, and it's userfriendly approach to full customisability!
Plus, it's available for Windows (32 and 16 bit) as well as MacOS, Linux and also, OS/2, BeOS, SunOS et c et c so you can have the same browser on all yr miyriad of computers.
On the other hand, my sister is having a terrible time with windows at the moment, and can't get opera to stay upright for any length of time.
She prefers Copernicus, which is a search engine type application with a built in browser. Its browser is fast, but limited to 1 window at a time (when you open a new window, it comes up in yr default browser, which of course should be Opera!) and you can't switch the graphics loading on and off to my knowledge, to save loading a gumph heavy page.

Also, say again? what is the difference between Mozilla and Netscape? Aren't they just both pieces of AOL rubbish hacked onto old open source stuff? Please set me straight.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

voidmain

• VIP
Questions about Netscape
« Reply #4 on: 23 January 2002, 20:36 »
Can I get the source code for Opera, and can I get it for free (without the advertising shit?).  If not, then it's not the best browser (for me).

panophobia

Questions about Netscape
« Reply #5 on: 23 January 2002, 23:00 »
Thanks everyone for the replies. I actually ended up going with Opera. Found myself a serial gen for it [Oops  ;) ] and have a fully registered version without ads. It's actually a rather nice alternative compared to IE.

Some pages don't display entirely the right way they should, but I figure that's the lesser of two evils.
\Panophobia\

Centurian

• http://www.darkmares.2ya.com
Questions about Netscape
« Reply #6 on: 24 January 2002, 00:55 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum:

Also, say again? what is the difference between Mozilla and Netscape? Aren't they just both pieces of AOL rubbish hacked onto old open source stuff? Please set me straight.

Hey Calum,

Netscape uses the Mozilla engine to run Netscape but then they load all kinds of crap in to it.
Mozilla is completely free and works on just about every OS without the added crap.

Hey panophobia,

Glad you found something that works for you. Too bad though that you ripped your copy. Small companies like Opera can't afford for people to rip them. In the end that helps MS to put those small companies out of business.

Later
Centurian
Later
Centurian

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Questions about Netscape
« Reply #7 on: 24 January 2002, 16:51 »
Sadly that is true, Opera has to have the advertising to make their browser free, or the poor devils would go bust, and we'd be stuck with AOL and M$ again! It's kind of irritating that the banner obscures almost an inch of the internet zone viewing area though, still it only costs $30US to register and subsidise your copy for good giving you no ads and almost an extra inch of viewing space.
Sometimes those clever buggers at M$ even know how to pervert the cause of things like free software! They may be shit coders, but they don't miss a trick businesswise. Or if they do, they create their own tricks (usually dirty ones) afterwards.

panophobia

Questions about Netscape
« Reply #8 on: 25 January 2002, 00:54 »
It would seem that even Opera keeps logs of every link you visit. I used their own "delete private data" option, and still each time I logged into the browser, visited links were still showing up.

I suppose they all do this in some form, in case the authorities were ever called in to bust somebody for looking at illegal things. But for those of us who just like having a clear browser and not lose hard-drive space gradually, this proves to be quite annoying.

The only way I could get the Opera temps to actually delete was by uninstalling the program and then putting it back on.

Anyone else had this problem with Opera, or is my system just fucked by MSIE?
\Panophobia\

MarkyD

Questions about Netscape
« Reply #9 on: 25 January 2002, 01:41 »
quote:
Originally posted by panophobia:
Anyone else had this problem with Opera, or is my system just fucked by MSIE?

Whatever problem your having, as much as I hate MicroshitIE, it is unfair to blame it on them.

How many people are gonna realise M$ is evil when we blame em on things that probably weren't their fault?

panophobia

Questions about Netscape
« Reply #10 on: 25 January 2002, 02:54 »
I wasn't solely blaming MSIE, it's what we call "sarcasm." This is often used in a humorous situation with a group of people who understand the subject being discussed. Since this is fuckMicrosoft.com, and I've been having trouble with their IE5 program, I thought making a sarcastic remark about my system being screwed over by them would be somewhat funny, which produces the effect known as laughter.

When you realize this, remember to not always take every comment to heart and whip off some post based on something that a random stranger on the internet had made insincerely.

Bottom line: I have MSIE5.x, the cookies/cache seem to be deeply rooted into the Win98 system. Nothing will erase these files, none of the methods given in the article here worked either. So, I switched to Opera. Turns out that Opera apparently keeps track of everything as well.

No big deal, really. So just go on back to your cheese-curls, switch on the TV and enjoy the rapid waste of brain cells you're so clearly incapable of truly needing.   :D
\Panophobia\

MarkyD

Questions about Netscape
« Reply #11 on: 25 January 2002, 03:03 »
Fair enough - I rarely visit these forums, so I guess I should have kept my mouth shut...  

Feel free to rate me with a '1' now.  

MICROSOFT_RULES

Questions about Netscape
« Reply #12 on: 25 January 2002, 13:20 »
MICROSOFT RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1MICROSOFT RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1MICROSOFT RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1MICROSOFT RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1MICROSOFT RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1MICROSOFT RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1MICROSOFT RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1MICROSOFT RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1MICROSOFT RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1MICROSOFT RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1MICROSOFT RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1MICROSOFT RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1MICROSOFT RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1MICROSOFT RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1MICROSOFT RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1MICROSOFT RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1MICROSOFT RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1MICROSOFT RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1MICROSOFT RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1MICROSOFT RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1MICROSOFT RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1MICROSOFT RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1MICROSOFT RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1MICROSOFT RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1MICROSOFT RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1MICROSOFT RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1MICROSOFT RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1MICROSOFT RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1MICROSOFT RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1MICROSOFT RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1MICROSOFT RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1MICROSOFT RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1MICROSOFT RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1MICROSOFT RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1MICROSOFT RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1MICROSOFT RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1MICROSOFT RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1MICROSOFT RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1MICROSOFT RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1MICROSOFT RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1MICROSOFT RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1MICROSOFT RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1MICROSOFT RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1MICROSOFT RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1V

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Questions about Netscape
« Reply #13 on: 25 January 2002, 19:57 »
How apt. Microsoft rulez eh? well, in a forum entirely about Netscape and Opera, i can clearly see how that's relevant. I reckon that you should be banned from having an account here if you put 'microsoft' in your user name. i seriously doubt whether 'MICROSOFT RULEZ' and his/her/its type would be able to think of a way around that...

voidmain

• VIP
Questions about Netscape
« Reply #14 on: 25 January 2002, 23:58 »
Don't encourage them Calum, usually just completely ignoring them stops the crap. They need attention, which is why they do it in the first place.