Miscellaneous > The Lounge

Questions about Netscape

<< < (2/4) > >>

panophobia:
Thanks everyone for the replies. I actually ended up going with Opera. Found myself a serial gen for it [Oops  ;) ] and have a fully registered version without ads. It's actually a rather nice alternative compared to IE.

Some pages don't display entirely the right way they should, but I figure that's the lesser of two evils.

Centurian:

quote:Originally posted by Calum:

Also, say again? what is the difference between Mozilla and Netscape? Aren't they just both pieces of AOL rubbish hacked onto old open source stuff? Please set me straight.
--- End quote ---

Hey Calum,

Netscape uses the Mozilla engine to run Netscape but then they load all kinds of crap in to it.
Mozilla is completely free and works on just about every OS without the added crap.

Hey panophobia,

Glad you found something that works for you. Too bad though that you ripped your copy. Small companies like Opera can't afford for people to rip them. In the end that helps MS to put those small companies out of business.

Later
Centurian

Calum:
Sadly that is true, Opera has to have the advertising to make their browser free, or the poor devils would go bust, and we'd be stuck with AOL and M$ again! It's kind of irritating that the banner obscures almost an inch of the internet zone viewing area though, still it only costs $30US to register and subsidise your copy for good giving you no ads and almost an extra inch of viewing space.
Sometimes those clever buggers at M$ even know how to pervert the cause of things like free software! They may be shit coders, but they don't miss a trick businesswise. Or if they do, they create their own tricks (usually dirty ones) afterwards.

panophobia:
It would seem that even Opera keeps logs of every link you visit. I used their own "delete private data" option, and still each time I logged into the browser, visited links were still showing up.

I suppose they all do this in some form, in case the authorities were ever called in to bust somebody for looking at illegal things. But for those of us who just like having a clear browser and not lose hard-drive space gradually, this proves to be quite annoying.

The only way I could get the Opera temps to actually delete was by uninstalling the program and then putting it back on.

Anyone else had this problem with Opera, or is my system just fucked by MSIE?

MarkyD:

quote:Originally posted by panophobia:
Anyone else had this problem with Opera, or is my system just fucked by MSIE?
--- End quote ---

Whatever problem your having, as much as I hate MicroshitIE, it is unfair to blame it on them.

How many people are gonna realise M$ is evil when we blame em on things that probably weren't their fault?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version