Author Topic: Why Longhorn?  (Read 1364 times)

loosecannon1

• Kudos: 0
Why Longhorn?
« on: 9 July 2003, 20:07 »
I was wondering why the code name Longhorn?  Mac has a cool name Panther....why would M$ choose a cow that can be put out to pasture?  Then it hit me...
the cow is sacred in India and that is where M$ is moving all its development to get even larger profits and stem open-source....In India the M$ OS will be sacred!

Any other thoughts?

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
Why Longhorn?
« Reply #1 on: 9 July 2003, 20:34 »
well. Steve Jobs showed it best during the WWDC. He was showing what the competitors (MS) were working on, and showed video of some cows sitting in a feild, then he showed what apple has been working on, and showed a sleek, powerful panther. I mean, a PANTHER would destroy a cow.

oh. as for the name, i guess they code name their projects based on areas close to them. Longhorn, Whistler, BlackComb. They are all like ski resorts & mountains near MS Headquarters.

jasonlane

• http://www.root10.net
Why Longhorn?
« Reply #2 on: 9 July 2003, 20:40 »
quote:
Between 1493 and the mid-nineteenth century, feral Longhorns flourished in the Americas, using natural selection principles to develop hardiness, disease resistance, ease of calving, strong mothering instincts, and other traits vital to their survival. What evolved was an animal which could survive in harsh environments, one which had sound legs and could walk miles to water, to breed, and to utilize available forage, and one which could also produce and raise a live healthy calf year after year. The evolutionary process, in which only the fittest could contribute to the gene pool, also produced a body commensurate with the availability of food, gave them hard hooves and lethal horns with which to protect themselves and their young, and provided them with a hardy immune system which made them largely resistant to disease. Furthermore, the cows developed excellent udders in order to be able to successfully feed their young in a harsh land of generally poor forage, and the bulls developed tight sheaths in order to avoid injury in the thick scrub they frequented.

quote:
 By the 1880s, after consumers had slaughtered millions of longhorns, the demand for higher fat content in both tallow and beef also played some role in the drop in the marketablility of longhorns. All things being considered the population of Texas Longhorn cattle went into a steep decline and by 1910 the breed, which only thirty years before had numbered well into the millions, was considered nearly extinct.

I reckon that it's just a fact the M$ are really, really, really bad at chosing stupid product names.

What's the bet that there will be yet another product name change for this steaming pile of crap they call an OS.
The MES Anti-Prude Force
"I don

avello500

• http://www.suicidaltendencies.com/
Why Longhorn?
« Reply #3 on: 10 July 2003, 00:25 »
formerly longhorn, microsoft re-LOAD.
How can you say im crazy? You wouldnt know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch.  -- mike muir/suicidal tendencies

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Why Longhorn?
« Reply #4 on: 10 July 2003, 00:53 »
This explains the codenames that Microsoft gave lately:

Click here.

solarismka

Why Longhorn?
« Reply #5 on: 10 July 2003, 01:03 »
personaly I think the name fits.  Well it goes to show you that M$ may think of its users as cows, followers that would accept anything. eg TCPA and the like.  

Where as Linux your a leader not just a follower!
"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Why Longhorn?
« Reply #6 on: 10 July 2003, 02:02 »
Sigh... for the second time, check the post above... Longhorn isn't a cow, it's a bar in the Blackcomb resort on the mountain Whistler...

suselinux

• Kudos: 30
Why Longhorn?
« Reply #7 on: 10 July 2003, 02:36 »
Whistler sucks

Its too expensive and too many people

If your gonna go skying in BC stick to the local mountains

seymour, grouse, manning park is cool,cypress.

loosecannon1

Why Longhorn?
« Reply #8 on: 10 July 2003, 04:02 »
I'm glad that it has been identified where longhorn actually comes from (nearby M$ area) but I wasn't really serious!

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
Why Longhorn?
« Reply #9 on: 10 July 2003, 04:21 »
quote:
Originally posted by loosecannon1:
I'm glad that it has been identified where longhorn actually comes from (nearby M$ area) but I wasn't really serious!

haha. at least you got several replies.

jasonlane

• http://www.root10.net
Why Longhorn?
« Reply #10 on: 10 July 2003, 04:22 »
quote:
Originally posted by loosecannon1:

Hehehhehehe. You may be right my friend, who knows in this crazy screwed up world of technology we like in....

Then again it just may be you that's crazy.

:D
The MES Anti-Prude Force
"I don

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
Why Longhorn?
« Reply #11 on: 10 July 2003, 04:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by ecsyle:951:
well. Steve Jobs showed it best during the WWDC. He was showing what the competitors (MS) were working on, and showed video of some cows sitting in a feild, then he showed what apple has been working on, and showed a sleek, powerful panther. I mean, a PANTHER would destroy a cow.

oh. as for the name, i guess they code name their projects based on areas close to them. Longhorn, Whistler, BlackComb. They are all like ski resorts & mountains near MS Headquarters.

Hey, whistler is fun. And canadian.

The price may be a bit high, but it's not for me and my 3rd class white trash. Was there once.

[ July 09, 2003: Message edited by: Stryker ]

mushrooomprince

• Kudos: 55
Why Longhorn?
« Reply #12 on: 10 July 2003, 04:56 »
Yeah someone needs to make a short movie of a Panther hunting and killing a Longhorn.

That would be cool
All your base are belong to us.

suselinux

• Kudos: 30
Why Longhorn?
« Reply #13 on: 10 July 2003, 05:58 »
quote:
Originally posted by mushrooomprince:
Yeah someone needs to make a short movie of a Panther hunting and killing a Longhorn.

That would be cool

how about a rabid penguin?

skyman8081

• VIP
  • Kudos: 187
    • http://sauron.game-host.org/
Why Longhorn?
« Reply #14 on: 10 July 2003, 06:18 »
quote:
Originally posted by suselinux:
Whistler sucks

Its too expensive and too many people

Whistler was XP's codename. replace Whistler with XP and it seems even more appropriate.  ;)

IMO a big ad campiagn for Longhorn will kill M$.  simply because the GP are bored of windows.  the collective "mmeh" to XP should have told them that.

no advertising can sell windows anymore the market is saturated now and windows is dying
2 motherfuckers have sigged me so far.  Fuck yeah!