Author Topic: Calums MUSIC  (Read 2934 times)

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Calums MUSIC
« Reply #15 on: 19 June 2002, 18:46 »
right, so the update. After rollingstone.com erased my mp3s without telling me, i rewrite the site, and host it at boomspeed.com. They give me 1Mb of free space and no banner ads or popups. So, this is fine, but they are dead set against me hosting mp3s and i cannot do it. I tried, they shut me down.

Anybody know where i can host a few megabytes of mp3s for free? there won't be much throughput, i am not exactly a huge star or anything!  :D
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Gooseberry Clock

• Kudos: 0
    • http://redrangersoftware.cjb.net/
Calums MUSIC
« Reply #16 on: 19 June 2002, 19:40 »
http://www.mp3.com/

[ June 29, 2002: Message edited by: * Red Ranger Software * ]

badkarma

• VIP
Calums MUSIC
« Reply #17 on: 19 June 2002, 19:47 »
I got a unused webspace account with my ISP calum ... it's only 5mb but high uptime/availability and great speed .... if you're really pressed for webspace I could host your site.....
If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Calums MUSIC
« Reply #18 on: 19 June 2002, 20:19 »
thanks for the offer, Karma, and (i never thought i'd say it) thanks, Gooseberry clock!
I'm going to try geocities first, then i will see what offers mp3.com have, although i suspect they and i will not see eye to eye about it, but you never know, re: hosting my site, Karma, the site is fine where it is, but i am really after 2 to 5 Mb of space to host mp3s on, this would really eat into whatever allocation you have on your space i suspect, so i wouldn't want to inconvenience you like that...

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
Calums MUSIC
« Reply #19 on: 19 June 2002, 21:47 »
Yes, I put my old band's entire CD on mp3.com, along with a small web site.  Of course you have to put up with the advertising (but hey they even sent me a free MP3.com duffle bag, can't beat that!).  I also have our main web site and MP3s on my own server so I don't have to put up with the advertising.  But for free if you don't have a server, mp3.com is a good site to host your stuff...
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

badkarma

• VIP
Calums MUSIC
« Reply #20 on: 19 June 2002, 22:17 »
Well Calum ... I have 3 webspace accounts of 5mb, I only use 1 (which is obsolete anyway... guildpage for a guild from a game which doesn't even exist anymore   )

I'll setup an account for you and PM you the details....
If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

foobar

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
Calums MUSIC
« Reply #21 on: 19 June 2002, 22:27 »
hi calum,

i was made curious by the others, so went to download your music, but
it said that the server was down, for some reason i forgot.
Anyway, i'm a musician too, i play in a band, we've been together for
about a year now, and it's going splendid except for the fact we're
looking for a bass player ...
call me very primitive, but i'm using Impulse Tracker to make music.
it's certainly not appropriate as studio-sound, but it serves well
for an example !
What programs do you use ?
Maybe we can exchange some music, just hit me at
[email protected] !

and wtf is BOB ??
Linux user #283039

Gosh, I love Linux Quake.

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Calums MUSIC
« Reply #22 on: 19 June 2002, 23:36 »
i don't know what Bob is!    

It's good to see you guys all rallying round to help!
I have set up an mp3.com account, and i have shifted my mp3s section on my site to yahoo/geocities, which runs FreeBSD and has no ads and popups (i like), so maybe that'll be okay for now,

BadKarma, if it's okay with you, maybe i will use your space (not sure how soon i'll need it)? i don't want to take the piss though unless it's really not a problem...

foobar - Top cool! sorry to say my main sound programs are Sonic Foundry Sound Forge and Steinberg/Propellerhead ReBirth RB-338 which are both good programs but neither are linux. I want to get some replacements for linux but have not had time/luck compiling them, unfortunately...

Sound forge does not even have a mac version! good program though, and it has actually never crashed my windows! (which must be some sort of a record!) it would need some serious directx support to run in an emulator, and i have many directx plugins that i'd have to shunt across some way...

I'd love to hear some of yr stuff, i'm unlikely to be able to email you any of my stuff, the best way to get my stuff is to go to my site, do you have any of yr stuff on a server, so i can download it?

Ah yes! my site! it's back up to full operation!! As i said, the mp3s are now hosted on a different server, so there's no more "You do not have permission" bullshit... ALSO, you should all go and check it out because i have added another new previously unheard of (et c) song, which you should all grab quicksmart, to celebrate getting it running again so quickly and by way of compensation for those people who said they went to my site and could not download the files... Enjoy!   ;)

[ June 19, 2002: Message edited by: Calum ]

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
Calums MUSIC
« Reply #23 on: 20 June 2002, 02:02 »
hey Calum, i have two folders full of mp3's that i share on gutella. would it piss you off if i just droped your music into my gnutella folders. or do you want me to put it in a nonshared folder. people of this website could then be able to get it off of a gnutella client/*maybe i hope*/. and then it could be distrubetet across gnutella. you know, downloading music from people they have heard about.thats how i find out about alot of the cd i have bought and plan to buy
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Calums MUSIC
« Reply #24 on: 20 June 2002, 02:34 »
that would be really good! can you make sure that my website URL is in the id3 of the particular copies of the mp3s that you share? thanks! Also, how does all that work? I'm still actually looking for a permanent home to host my mp3s on! at the moment they are on yahoo, but it gives me a really thin bandwidth limit, so that's no use if a few people want to go there and get the files at the same time! earlier this evening my bandwidth was used up, and when that happens my entire downloads page goes offline for an hour (weird but dumb)

choasforages

• VIP
Calums MUSIC
« Reply #25 on: 20 June 2002, 03:36 »
ok, just look for them on gnutella net,/*ummm, useing a decent gnutella client*/

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Calums MUSIC
« Reply #26 on: 20 June 2002, 03:59 »
now bloody boomspeed.com is down, what a night! i thought they were supposed to be running linux, for gods' sake!

choasforages

• VIP
Calums MUSIC
« Reply #27 on: 20 June 2002, 04:02 »
youve used gnutella Calum, right. basically everyone should share there Calum mp3s. the more that are share the higher the availablity. also X11, could you share your mp3s, i think you have a few that i don't.

foobar

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
Calums MUSIC
« Reply #28 on: 20 June 2002, 15:12 »
calum, the music i make on impulse tracker is rediculously small in size, the second reason why i use it. A large song of about 5 minutes takes less than 300K !!
So if you'd allow me, i could email some stuff to you. Even if you have a dumbass hotmail accout, you can open the files. It's what i like to call 'symphonic metal',
simply hard music with some kind of symphony in it. If you'd rather not expose your email adress on the forums, just send me an email (see page 1)
Linux user #283039

Gosh, I love Linux Quake.

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
Calums MUSIC
« Reply #29 on: 20 June 2002, 16:01 »
I dont have calums old MP3's because i got some virus
that norton did not pick up over KaZaA