Author Topic: this place sucks ass  (Read 4008 times)

suselinux

• Kudos: 30
this place sucks ass
« Reply #60 on: 19 November 2003, 07:52 »
The Gimp isn't as advanced as Photoshop, but Codeweavers Crossover office fixes that

allows you to use Macromedia, Adobe, and MS office natively well almost natively on Linux

Crossover Office is basically a front end to a tweaked version of wine, but it actually works, and is SOOOO easy to use, a friend of mine bought it to use MS Office in Linux for work projects

all you do is open CXOffice setup, click "install from" and find your .exe in a filesystem explorer (just like explorer infact) click it and then install it exactly the same way you would in Windows.

ITS REALLY EASY    

as for building from source being hard

if you can spell the words configure, make and install, you've basically got it figured out!

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
this place sucks ass
« Reply #61 on: 19 November 2003, 08:02 »
As opposed to using them natively on the Mac OS? Just use a Mac, problem solved, much simpler. No need to encourage Microsoft by buying software running on Windows platforms.

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
this place sucks ass
« Reply #62 on: 19 November 2003, 08:05 »
quote:
Originally posted by suselinux:
ITS REALLY EASY    

as for building from source being hard

if you can spell the words configure, make and install, you've basically got it figured out!

Ok, heres a good one then....

You install your linux distro, but during the configure process you set your resolution out of scan range by accident.

Now, what does a compleat computer newb do when his screen boots up blank?

Here is another one:

In other OS's I double click and install. If your a newb, you need to boot up a terminal (learn a few comands)

cd to your directory
ls-1 to see whats in it
su to root
./configure
make install
install

Now, these archaic commands are a far cry from double click and done. Also, what happens if durink the make process, the Terminal starts scrolling by a huge list of errors due to dependancy issues etc.

Another OS will never have these issues. "But Psyjax! RPM's show nice dialogue boxes explaining what you need!", yes, so now I have a dialogue box telling me I have 10 crypticaly named librarys I need to scour the net for and install. And a common user should know this, or have to deal with this because?

Not to mention poor modem users.

Then their application is finally instaled via RPM. Phew! Let me go use it.... where is it???

Now other OS's put it where you want it, or an Applications folder, and maybe even provide a nifty little icon. In linux, more often than not however, the user has to venture behind /Home/user

to the dreaded 3 letter hell!

Hmmm... is it in /etc, etc/var... no not there. Hmmm likely in the /usr directory... hmmm is it /usr/local or usr/bin ... hmmm

Ahhh!! it must be in her- What the!!! Jezus fucking christ! There have got to be like 8000 porgrams in this folder! And suddenly it occurs to you.... "WHAT THE HELL IS THE BINDARY NAMED!!!!"

Ok.... so, it's taken me quite a bit to learn the ins and outs, and get used to the systems structure. But how on earth, could I sit my grandma down infront of this machine and say: "Use it, you can figure it out!"
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Pissed_Macman

• VIP
  • Kudos: 0
    • http://www.macrevolution.tk
this place sucks ass
« Reply #63 on: 19 November 2003, 08:13 »
I couldn't figure out how to fucking download the damned thing!

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
this place sucks ass
« Reply #64 on: 19 November 2003, 08:18 »
Easy to compile?

root@localhost# configure /home/laukev7/xcheapcloneofsomepopulargame

blah blah blah

error: liballegro 1.2.1 detected. Needs liballegro 1.2.2. Stop.

root@localhost# configure /home/laukev7/liballegro

error: depends on someotherlibrary 2.3.4. Stop.

root@localhost# configure /home/laukev7/someotherapp

blahblahblah again

error: depends on allegro 1.2.2. Stop.

root@localhost# configure && make /home/laukev7/xgamethatdoesnotdependonallegro

blah -o gnustuff /blah/blah/ copy -mess /usr/stuff
blah blah blah

error 1 could not link blahblahblah
exits directory /blah/blah/blah
error 2

error

root@localhost# /home/laukev7/xsomeotherappthatisalmostasbuggyasthelastonebutstillallowsyoutocompileit

segmentation fault

[ November 18, 2003: Message edited by: Laukev7 ]

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
this place sucks ass
« Reply #65 on: 19 November 2003, 08:46 »
psyjax wins.
close this thread  ;)

Xeen

• VIP

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
this place sucks ass
« Reply #67 on: 19 November 2003, 12:42 »
well this is a bootscootin' good 'ol time, ain't it?

Linux has to put aside its reliance on UNIX conventions to achieve great amounts of success in taking over the desktop!

nobody  gives a rat's ass about being able to compile. if it doesn't work, then it's "crappy" and "doesn't work"

people think this way. linux has to change so that everything works right every time. people don't need to be made to change to think "oh, I need to recompile the thing"

how arrogant

btw, I've changed my mind about X11...

The X-11 was badass. The Titan missile was developed from this X-Plane.
Go the fuck ~

xyle_one

• VIP
this place sucks ass
« Reply #68 on: 19 November 2003, 19:39 »
quote:
Originally posted by xeen:
Ahem, Ecsyle: http://forum.microsuck.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=10&t=000054

Ahem. Taken care of.

preacher

• VIP
  • Kudos: 107
    • http://kansascity.cjb.net
this place sucks ass
« Reply #69 on: 20 November 2003, 19:33 »
quote:
Originally posted by Ecsyle:

So much for user freindliness. Who wants to manually restart x11? Why should i have to? I shouldnt have to "understand" x11. I should be able to just use it, without some deep knowledge of its source, or why it does what it does. The point of user freindliness is that I can just use it without being a master, you know, like what osx and windows do. I dont have to configure quartz to read my mouse, or have to kill it and restart it when i want to change something. Until Linux is ready for the average "idiot" user, it will never take over the desktop. I dont care how much "better" it is than anything else. In fact, noone does. at least, not enough people to actually matter. Mom and dad sure arent going to switch to a linux distro because it is superior to windows, all they want is something that they dont have to deal with. Get online, type some emails. And not worry about shit. They could probably do this now, but they cant have their aol, or msn, or have the kodak photo software installed that they are so familiar with. My roommate sure as hell wont switch. She tried openoffice & staroffice, and both failed. she didnt like them. She even used them for a month to do her homework. So, no ms office on linux, no switching for her. I think that would apply to alot of people.

The only people i know who use linux as an everyday os, are actually quite intelligent, and like to get their hands dirty, so to speak. They know computers. I dont. Id rather not deal with it you know. As long as i can get my work done with little to no hassle, then im set. Linux does not let me do this. Sorry to say that.

My mom doesnt give a damn about macs. She knows nothing about macs other than, they are expensive, they dont have as many easy to find applications as Windows, and they are slower than PC's. This info might be true or false, however, that is the public image that macs have. After all linux users arent the ones who create anti-mac sites.

As for no MS Office on linux, try CrossOver office. As for aol use lindows. I think its funny people run at the mouth about what linux cant do without knowing the facts. Thats why Im here, not because Im insecure about linux.
Kansas City Hustle
http://kansascity.cjb.net

psyjax

• VIP
this place sucks ass
« Reply #70 on: 20 November 2003, 20:58 »
quote:
Originally posted by ThePreacher:
My mom doesnt give a damn about macs. She knows nothing about macs other than, they are expensive, they dont have as many easy to find applications as Windows, and they are slower than PC's. This info might be true or false, however, that is the public image that macs have. After all linux users arent the ones who create anti-mac sites.

That's not my momma! And my mom is better than your mom  

xyle_one

• VIP
this place sucks ass
« Reply #71 on: 21 November 2003, 00:11 »
quote:
Originally posted by ThePreacher:

As for no MS Office on linux, try CrossOver office. As for aol use lindows. I think its funny people run at the mouth about what linux cant do without knowing the facts. Thats why Im here, not because Im insecure about linux.

Crossover office will only discourage vendors from actaully writing native software for linux.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
this place sucks ass
« Reply #72 on: 21 November 2003, 02:11 »
quote:

that's too bad for your mom. as for the public image... that's because the public is stupid.

sorry, but it's the truth. I don't put stock in what "the public" thinks because I know I'm smarter. I'm one of those guys who is referred to as an "intellectual elitist". I'm a proud owner of a near-super genius IQ (avg 2 pts away on four different IQ tests) who's been offered membership into MENSA several times.

If this perhaps explains why I'm such a dickhead, then good. You now understand me.

so, back to the subject at hand. I really am glad that most of the world uses Windows. they don't deserve a good computer. I wouldn't want these idiots who can't figure shit out even when Windows holds their hand to try to use something real and good.

I'm happy that for the majority of people, computers are scary and intimidating. it makes me look all the better when I come in and easily fix their problems, or tell them how simple it is to do something they thought was long and difficult.

maybe Linux is ready for the desktop... that way I can conveniently fix peoples' problems with it when they happen and look like TEH MEGA SUPER MASTARBLASTAR COMPUTAR WIZZARDE!!!!!111lolololololololollllolloolo

GODDAMN DO I ROCK
Go the fuck ~

suselinux

• Kudos: 30
this place sucks ass
« Reply #73 on: 21 November 2003, 05:32 »
Originally posted by jimmy james:

I'm a proud owner of a near-super genius IQ (avg 2 pts away on four different IQ tests) who's been offered membership into MENSA several times.

Wow me too, we have so much in common!

psyjax

• VIP
this place sucks ass
« Reply #74 on: 21 November 2003, 06:03 »
quote:
Originally posted by suselinux:
Originally posted by jimmy james:

I'm a proud owner of a near-super genius IQ (avg 2 pts away on four different IQ tests) who's been offered membership into MENSA several times.

Wow me too, we have so much in common![/b]

Yes, well. I'm a nobel loriet! So shame on you both! HAHAHHAHA!