Author Topic: mmmmm...Pi  (Read 778 times)

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
mmmmm...Pi
« on: 12 February 2003, 00:10 »
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
mmmmm...Pi
« Reply #1 on: 12 February 2003, 01:52 »
Sweet. But then again Pi's not my thing. I'm a Googleplex man all the way!

DC

• Kudos: 0
mmmmm...Pi
« Reply #2 on: 12 February 2003, 02:00 »
Pi is 3 for large values of 3.

Any number of digits for pi after the first 20 or so are useless except for giggle factors and computation tests. Pi is trancendental anyway, so there is no way to get the "right" value (in digits). Ever. Not with quantum computing, no. And I know of no universal constant measured with more than 20 significant digits - damn, with 10 even - so it's useless for calculations to use more (you could probably last your lifetime with 3.14).

Besides, Pi is waaaay less interesting then people think. Euler's number, now THERE is an interesting number. Based on some stupid differential equation (f'(x) = f(x)), it pops up everywhere. And it is more usefull than pi. Maybe it should get a greek symbol. Any suggestions?
GS/CS d- s-: a--- C++ UL+ P+ L++>+++ E W++ N>+ o K- w-- O- M V? PS+>++ PE- Y+ PGP t+ 5+ X R tv+ b+++ DI+ D+ G++ e>++++ h! r- y
A quantummechanical wavefunction describing an unknown amount of bottles of beer on the wall
A quantummechanical wavefunction describing an unknown amount of bottles of beer on the wall
We take a measurement, the wavefunction will collapse, and one of the bottles of beer will fall

Pissed_Macman

• VIP
    • http://www.macrevolution.tk
mmmmm...Pi
« Reply #3 on: 12 February 2003, 16:32 »
AAAGGHH!!! MY HEAD!! What are you talking about??!!

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
mmmmm...Pi
« Reply #4 on: 12 February 2003, 19:25 »
that's one boring fuck of a site, even if it is an original idea. not the sort of url you can easily remember either. to me pi will never need to be longer than 3.141592654 because tha's how long it is on a ten digit calculator.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

isolationist

mmmmm...Pi
« Reply #5 on: 13 February 2003, 08:28 »
Heck!!!

It won't stop loading!!!
There is no expedient to which a man will not go to avoid the labor of thinking

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
mmmmm...Pi
« Reply #6 on: 13 February 2003, 21:50 »
"HOLY FUCK"

beltorak0

• http://www.angelfire.com/realm/beltorak
mmmmm...Pi
« Reply #7 on: 13 February 2003, 17:46 »
I much prefer 'e'.  It shows up everywhere too.  Anytime the rate of change of an item depends on the quantity of that item, 'e' is thrown into the mix.  Population, stored charge, the effects of friction on harmonic motion... you name it.

then again 'i' is great for giggles when it shows up in physics and people try to explain it in real terms -- "A particle with an imaginary mass -- yeah, of course! it would have negative energy, which is to say that it travels backwards in time, and it would take an infinate amount of energy to slow it down to the speed of light... in theory... we haven't actually caught one yet, but the math says that it exists!"

For the concrete minds, '1' is a great number too... "The Unit"; upon which counting becomes relevent.

'0' is an interesting number just because us poor backwards westerners had no idea it existed before we stole it from the arabs.  Could you imagine what it would be like not to understand zero as a number?  To the Greeks: "Q: If I had three apples, and I gave three apples away, how many do I have? A: What do you mean, how many? You don't have any!  There's no such thing as less than one!" -- enter zeno.

But the numbers are not nearly as much fun as equations:  e^({pi}i) + 1 = 0 is a fundamental truth....
from Attrition.Org

quote:
Like many times before, Microsoft is re-inventing the wheel and opting for something other than round.

-t.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
mmmmm...Pi
« Reply #8 on: 13 February 2003, 19:46 »
i prefer 'n' myself.

reminds me of a time back in high school when our physics teacher had gone through a long, protracted and boring explanation of the equation about enery's relation to force and mass (with 'E' representing energy) and at the end of his explanation he concluded with the words 'now can anybody tell me how to get 'E'?'

Silence for about three seconds until somebody piped up from the back of the class:
'i can get you some if you want'.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
mmmmm...Pi
« Reply #9 on: 13 February 2003, 23:23 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum: Member # 81:
i prefer 'n' myself.

reminds me of a time back in high school when our physics teacher had gone through a long, protracted and boring explanation of the equation about enery's relation to force and mass (with 'E' representing energy) and at the end of his explanation he concluded with the words 'now can anybody tell me how to get 'E'?'

Silence for about three seconds until somebody piped up from the back of the class:
'i can get you some if you want'.

lol  :D  dirty ravers  ;)

DC

mmmmm...Pi
« Reply #10 on: 14 February 2003, 05:11 »
quote:
Originally posted by beltorak:
I much prefer 'e'.  It shows up everywhere too.  Anytime the rate of change of an item depends on the quantity of that item, 'e' is thrown into the mix.  Population, stored charge, the effects of friction on harmonic motion... you name it.

Yeah, said that.

quote:

then again 'i' is great for giggles when it shows up in physics and people try to explain it in real terms -- "A particle with an imaginary mass -- yeah, of course! it would have negative energy, which is to say that it travels backwards in time, and it would take an infinate amount of energy to slow it down to the speed of light... in theory... we haven't actually caught one yet, but the math says that it exists!"

i is cool indeed.

But actually, since energy is .5mv^2 (or mc^2, with m = relative mass), you need a *negative*, not an imaginary, mass to obtain negative energy (an imaginary speed would work too). And math says it *could* exist, not that it does.

A particle with imaginary mass would have imaginary energy.

quote:

For the concrete minds, '1' is a great number too... "The Unit"; upon which counting becomes relevent.

Nah, 1 is lame.

quote:

'0' is an interesting number just because us poor backwards westerners had no idea it existed before we stole it from the arabs.  Could you imagine what it would be like not to understand zero as a number?  To the Greeks: "Q: If I had three apples, and I gave three apples away, how many do I have? A: What do you mean, how many? You don't have any!  There's no such thing as less than one!" -- enter zeno.

Now, zero is indeed cool. It looks lame, but is very interesting indeed. Imagine, for example, x/0 (x!=0) and 0/0. These divisions are debatable (you can't, for example, say x/0 is infinity, because x can be 0, and 0 * (1 / 0) (which is the same as 0/0) must be 0, since 0 * anything is 0.
Also, any vector space needs to be either 1) empty, 2) {0} (only the zero element), or 3) an infinite amount of elements in every dimention said vector space has. So 0 is indeed special.

Note that while 0 has to be in such a collection, 1 needen't be. There is, of course, any first element after 0 in every sane vector space, but that is only a special one if you have a multipication of some kind.

Q: if you see 3 people entering a building, and 5 going out, how many are inside?

quote:

But the numbers are not nearly as much fun as equations:  e^({pi}i) + 1 = 0 is a fundamental truth....

e^({pi}i} = -1 sounds cooler    Quite nice, that all three of those numbers, which are odd and seem to be entirely unrelated whatsoever, combine so well in one formula.
GS/CS d- s-: a--- C++ UL+ P+ L++>+++ E W++ N>+ o K- w-- O- M V? PS+>++ PE- Y+ PGP t+ 5+ X R tv+ b+++ DI+ D+ G++ e>++++ h! r- y
We take a measurement, the wavefunction will collapse, and one of the bottles of beer will fall