Author Topic: Windows Market Share Rises But PC Sales Flatten.  (Read 771 times)

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
Windows Market Share Rises But PC Sales Flatten.
« on: 10 September 2002, 21:59 »
Two interesting market surveys indicate that Windows has actually gained market share in the most recent quarter, even though PC sales have almost flattened and will likely grow at an abbreviated rate through 2003. According to market researcher OneStat.com, Windows now controls 97.46 percent of the global desktop operating system market, compared to just 1.43 percent for Apple Macintosh and 0.26 percent for Linux. OneStat.com says its figures are derived from real-time global Web site analysis, and are an average of the past two months.

Read the whole article here.

It doesn't look like you guys aren't doing a very good job of eradicating Microsoft. ;P

[ September 10, 2002: Message edited by: Zombie9920 ]

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #1 on: 10 September 2002, 22:21 »
You got that information from a magazine depending on Microsoft to make software so that they can make money selling their magazine to people who don't have a clue about what computers actually are...

Get your resources from CNN/TECH, ZDnet, CNet or Whatevernet, as long as the resource is an independent and objective voice.

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
« Reply #2 on: 10 September 2002, 22:27 »
quote:
Originally posted by Refalm:
You got that information from a magazine depending on Microsoft to make software so that they can make money selling their magazine to people who don't have a clue about what computers actually are...

Get your resources from CNN/TECH, ZDnet, CNet or Whatevernet, as long as the resource is an independent and objective voice.

WTF are you talking about? They got the figures from OneStat.com. OneStat.com is not a magazine....it offeres accurate web site analytics and statistics. Face it, Windows is a dominating force. ;P

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #3 on: 11 September 2002, 01:36 »
Heh heh, these surveys are so f00ked. One, what exactly do you think you are going to accomplish by posting this drivel?  Oh shit, Windows market share is going up, I better get rid of Linux and switch to Windows.          Not.

Now, as for the article.  Let me get this straight. Windows market share is rising even though PC sales are flat?  Hmmmm, how is this possible?  Are they installing Windows on Macs now?  Not.  At this rate Windows will be at 150% of the desktop in no time flat.  The only thing I can figure is if someone buys a PC with Windows98 on it.  Then they buy the XP Upgrade, Microsoft has 2 sales for the same PC. Yep, you watch it'll be up over 100% any time now...

And damn near every PC out there is sold with Windows on it so it's not hard to say Windows has 99.99% of the market. But there is absolutely no way they can count the percentage of Linux dual boot machines out there. There is no way to track it. Linux people aren't in to being "tracked".

And by the way, the figures should come up to *more* than 100% total because of the dual boot examples. I'm sure the percentage is not high, but it most certainly would be registerable. So obviously the survey is flawed...

But I don't even care so why do I debate?

[ September 10, 2002: Message edited by: void main ]

Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

willysnout

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #4 on: 11 September 2002, 01:43 »
quote:
Originally posted by Zombie9920:
Face it, Windows is a dominating force. ;P

Thanks for letting me know! Wow, you mean Microsoft is like, man, a monopoly? Hey everyone, pass the word! MICROSOFT IS POWERFUL!

rtgwbmsr

• VIP
  • Kudos: 0
    • http://www.akgames.net
« Reply #5 on: 11 September 2002, 01:47 »
1) Check the source. Winformant? Duh, they are gonna f*ck the numbers.
2) How did Apple go from 5% to 1.43% in just a few months?

Not gonna argue...no need to...it's just BS.