Author Topic: Vienna getting ready to switch  (Read 649 times)

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
Vienna getting ready to switch
« on: 12 September 2003, 02:22 »
This article says that that the city might decide in mid 2004 to switch 15,000 computers to Linux.

Seth

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #1 on: 12 September 2003, 03:12 »
IIRC, I know they lost the city of Munich to linux too. And I know even after they opened their codes to China, the government went with a local product.

I don't thikn MS knows how to deal with Linux.
They can not deal with it in their usual manner (FUD), nor can they under sell it, or produce better products to compete with it.

MS has a mucho problemo and they know it too.
But with a war chest approaching 50 billion dollars,  their marketing clout, and not to mention their political resources, they are a formidable adversary.

[ September 11, 2003: Message edited by: Seth ]

suselinux

• Kudos: 30
« Reply #2 on: 12 September 2003, 08:42 »
quote:
Originally posted by Seth:
IIRC, I know they lost the city of Munich to linux too. And I know even after they opened their codes to China, the government went with a local product.

I don't thikn MS knows how to deal with Linux.
They can not deal with it in their usual manner (FUD), nor can they under sell it, or produce better products to compete with it.

MS has a mucho problemo and they know it too.
But with a war chest approaching 50 billion dollars,  their marketing clout, and not to mention their political resources, they are a formidable adversary.

[ September 11, 2003: Message edited by: Seth ]

Its easy for M$ to kill an OS, like Linux, but it would be impossible for them to kill a movement like Linux  :D

raptor

• Kudos: 56
    • http://calyptos.com
« Reply #3 on: 12 September 2003, 08:50 »
the linux movement is too strong for M$ to "shutdown -s".
"in a world without fences, who needs gates?"