Author Topic: Phoenix kicks ass  (Read 679 times)

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
Phoenix kicks ass
« on: 12 October 2002, 15:13 »
I LOVE THIS WEBROWSER, YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

It seriously kicks ass, it renders all the pages fine, and seems more stable then Mozilla!

pkd_lives

• Kudos: 0
Phoenix kicks ass
« Reply #1 on: 12 October 2002, 18:28 »
Have not got around to it yet. I am using Moz. 1.2a, and I have to say it is a significant improvement, from 1.1. It runs faster on both systems I have installed it on. and it is far more stable (It has not yet crashed in my works ME). I would definitely recommend this gets a test drive (especially if you have not used the 1.x, range of mozilla).
Tough - Adapt or die : Read The Fucking Manual.

Local Area Network in Australia: the LAN down under.

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
Phoenix kicks ass
« Reply #2 on: 12 October 2002, 18:37 »
They need to make a minimalist Email Client to go with it (any links) I still have to have Mozilla open for email. So i will still use Mozilla most of the time.

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
Phoenix kicks ass
« Reply #3 on: 12 October 2002, 20:19 »
Mozilla 1.2a is the shit for browsin. I use phoenix on my slow computer but it isnt very much faster than mozilla 1.1
They still got a lot of work on it
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

preacher

• VIP
  • Kudos: 107
    • http://kansascity.cjb.net
Phoenix kicks ass
« Reply #4 on: 12 October 2002, 23:54 »
I tried downloading phoenix, but the link on mozilla.org doesnt work.
Kansas City Hustle
http://kansascity.cjb.net

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Phoenix kicks ass
« Reply #5 on: 13 October 2002, 00:52 »
i downloaded it today! it should work fine!

i really like phoenix, and i don't need it to be a mail client and all the other things that mozilla is. i think they should just make phoenix (which i am using RIGHT NOW) as fast as possible, and include full privacy and security settings and that's it.

edit - okay, now i'm using galeon, and that not really phoenix' fault.

here are my criticisms of phoenix so far (and i think it fully gets away with all of these since it is still only at version 0.2 and it is coming on so fast):

1)it doesn't do flash, it doesn't do any java/javascript stuff, even if both sets of required stuff are installed. this means i can't check my email at linuxmail.org, since javascript is required to create their popups (each new mail opens in a popup when i click it, or it should anyway!)

2)if i have phoenix running, and i try to open mozilla, i just get another phoenix window. If phoenix is not running, mozilla opens as normal. Annoying.

3)Cookies. There is now a menu in prefs for cookie settings, unlike version 0.1. Good, except when i try to set it to kill cookies after the current session, it autosets itself back to 'accept cqookies for life'which is the default. just a bug, but i think an important one. i can't be arsed deleting all the cookies by hand like you have to do in IE.

4) this is a good one actually, i prefer the way phoenix defaults to the next tab on the right rather than the one on the left when you close the current tab. it's good!

5) actually phoenix has tons of good stuff going on and i think it should continue to try to be a small download, but it should take advantage of flash and j2re if they are installed. i think it should deliberately shun the microsoft java virtual machine too, but that's just me...
i notice they added skin support too! what a sense of priorities!   :rolleyes:  i hope they fix the bugs, and make this a fast and small browser, there's precious few of those around these days.

[ October 12, 2002: Message edited by: Calum ]

visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
Phoenix kicks ass
« Reply #6 on: 13 October 2002, 07:45 »
Their goal is a 4mb browser, I think.

Calum, make sure to submit that bug!!

Edit: I wrote "Their" and "goal" in a very fucked up fashion.

[ October 13, 2002: Message edited by: TheQuirk ]

Master of Reality

• VIP
Phoenix kicks ass
« Reply #7 on: 13 October 2002, 12:36 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum:
i downloaded it today! it should work fine!

i really like phoenix, and i don't need it to be a mail client and all the other things that mozilla is. i think they should just make phoenix (which i am using RIGHT NOW) as fast as possible, and include full privacy and security settings and that's it.

edit - okay, now i'm using galeon, and that not really phoenix' fault.

here are my criticisms of phoenix so far (and i think it fully gets away with all of these since it is still only at version 0.2 and it is coming on so fast):

1)it doesn't do flash, it doesn't do any java/javascript stuff, even if both sets of required stuff are installed. this means i can't check my email at linuxmail.org, since javascript is required to create their popups (each new mail opens in a popup when i click it, or it should anyway!)

2)if i have phoenix running, and i try to open mozilla, i just get another phoenix window. If phoenix is not running, mozilla opens as normal. Annoying.

3)Cookies. There is now a menu in prefs for cookie settings, unlike version 0.1. Good, except when i try to set it to kill cookies after the current session, it autosets itself back to 'accept cqookies for life'which is the default. just a bug, but i think an important one. i can't be arsed deleting all the cookies by hand like you have to do in IE.

4) this is a good one actually, i prefer the way phoenix defaults to the next tab on the right rather than the one on the left when you close the current tab. it's good!

5) actually phoenix has tons of good stuff going on and i think it should continue to try to be a small download, but it should take advantage of flash and j2re if they are installed. i think it should deliberately shun the microsoft java virtual machine too, but that's just me...
i notice they added skin support too! what a sense of priorities!    :rolleyes:   i hope they fix the bugs, and make this a fast and small browser, there's precious few of those around these days.

[ October 12, 2002: Message edited by: Calum ]

huh?? my linuxmail messages dont popup in a new window... that would be fuckin annoyin'. I can bloody well check my Linuxmail in lynx.
Disorder | Rating
Linux User #283518

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Phoenix kicks ass
« Reply #8 on: 13 October 2002, 16:40 »
well, like linux, linuxmail.org is customisable. you can, if you want, which i do, set each message to open in a popup.

as for submitting the bug, how?!?!?
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
Phoenix kicks ass
« Reply #9 on: 13 October 2002, 19:13 »
"Thunderbird" will be the mail client (it will be available later).

Phoenix bugs are tracked in the Bugzilla bug system (http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/). With Bugzilla, you can query for existing bugs, add comments to bugs, and file new bugs.

If you find a problem that you think might be a bug in Phoenix, please don't jump in and file it right away. Having low-quality and duplicate bugs in the bug system simply wastes the time of developers and QA. Instead, follow these steps.

First, try the most recent nightly build, to see if the problem still exists.

Next, try to reproduce the bug with a recent Mozilla build, to see if the bug happens there. If so, the bug should be filed as a Mozilla bug (only, of course, after searching to see if the bughas already been filed). Bugs related to how pages are laid out arealmost always Mozilla bugs, and are highly likely to have beenfiled already.

Now you can go ahead and search the Phoenix bugs to see if someone has already reported your problem.

Search the open Phoenix bugs, but be aware that yourterminology might not match that of others (e.g. "URLbar" vs. "Location bar"), so you might not find what you are looking for the first time. Be diligent!

Look at Phoenix bugs reported in the last day.

Look at the list all Phoenix bugs to see if your issue has already been filed (and possibly already fixed).

If you didn't find an existing bug for your problem, and you're sure that it's a problem with Phoenix, then youcan go ahead and file the bug.

If you are new to Bugzilla, please read the bugwriting guidelines first. To be able to file and comment onbugs, you'll need to make yourself an account. Note that accounts can, and will, be revoked ifabused.

Report a new Phoenix bug using the Bugzilla helper, or using the advanced bug entry form

Put as much relevant detail into the bug report as you can. If Phoenix crashes be sure to specify if you were on a certain page when it crashed, give the URL. Mention whether the page containsplugins. Try to find the simplest way of causing the crash that youcan. If it crashes when you are supplying data to Phoenix (e.g.importing bookmarks), attach the relevant data (in this case, the bookmarks file being imported). The better your bug report, themore chance there is of a developer taking note, and fixing it.

Master of Reality

• VIP
Phoenix kicks ass
« Reply #10 on: 13 October 2002, 19:24 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum:
well, like linux, linuxmail.org is customisable. you can, if you want, which i do, set each message to open in a popup.
well, its not customizeable enough for me... thats why i use beermail, which runs on the opensource squirrelmail. What software does linuxmail use?
Disorder | Rating
Linux User #283518