Author Topic: Tech Support!!!  (Read 596 times)

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
Tech Support!!!
« on: 31 May 2003, 08:25 »
"Tech Support!!!" eh. that scene was funny in Vanilla Sky. Anyways. I didn't know where else to put this post so if it is misplaced, could a mod please move it. My PC is acting stupid and its not OS related so i'm a bit confused. I have two hard drives and a CDRom in there. The main drive and CDRom are on IDE1, and the other drive is on IDE2. During boot up, it displays what is attatched etc.. Well, it doesn't show my other drive, and i know its there, and connected. When i boot into windows, it show up, and i was able to install redhat on it (except i can't boot into it for some reason, but thats another topic). Any ideas??

avello500

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.suicidaltendencies.com/
Tech Support!!!
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2003, 10:18 »
ive run across some boards that are prissy.
some want the cd on ide2 as a master.
others as a slave on ide2.
some want both harddrives on the same ide as master,slave, others want the ide's seperate.
best thing to do is make a graph and start listing out and trying the various ways.
oh i have also come across some older boards that wont detect newer drives.
hope it helps
How can you say im crazy? You wouldnt know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch.  -- mike muir/suicidal tendencies

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
Tech Support!!!
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2003, 12:14 »
BIOS doesn't see the other drive and windows does? how is this possible? if i'm understanding you right you have one fucked up situation. If i'm wrong, try the drives in a different computer and see if they aren't going bad. My cd burnder crapped out the other day, i spent 3 hours on it to figure out that it's fried. sorry i can't help much though.

xyle_one

• VIP
Tech Support!!!
« Reply #3 on: 1 June 2003, 01:09 »
i tried main drive and second drive on ide1, cdrom on ide2; then drive1 & cdrom on ide1, drive2 on ide2, i changed jumpers from mastere/slave settings to cable select, both on master (why not?  ;)  ), and the bios doesnt show it. but when i boot into windows, its there, all of it, and the cdrom works. i installed linux on the other drive with no problem as well. but i couldn't boot into it. i am thinking ide2 is fooked up. everything on ide1 shows up during the initial bootup. everything on ide2 doesnt, yet works. i think my board is fucked, and that sucks. it was expensive when i bought it and do not want to get a new one yet. i did have a promise ide card in there, and i could just use that again. just do not use ide2. i really wanted to use redhat 9 on a fast machine, not my old pentium2. but i have to dual boot. maybe i could partition drive 1 into two sections, an EXT3 & NTFS, and just use the second drive for /home or something. that would work. until i get a new board. i am going to fuck around with the bios settings as well. maybe something is amiss in there. anyways. thanks for the help  

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
Tech Support!!!
« Reply #4 on: 1 June 2003, 02:03 »
If BIOS isn't showing you that it sees it (and it has to see it for windows to, i believe... unless windows dwells too deap into the computer) and windows does, then it's probably a problem with your IDE channel. You could try buying an IDE controller card (which i'm not sure will work or not, never tried it) or you could replace the motherboard. in any case i would try PriceWatch (despite the fact they run IIS, it's a good service).

xyle_one

• VIP
Tech Support!!!
« Reply #5 on: 1 June 2003, 04:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by Stryker:
If BIOS isn't showing you that it sees it (and it has to see it for windows to, i believe... unless windows dwells too deap into the computer) and windows does, then it's probably a problem with your IDE channel. You could try buying an IDE controller card (which i'm not sure will work or not, never tried it) or you could replace the motherboard. in any case i would try PriceWatch (despite the fact they run IIS, it's a good service).

pricewatch is a good service. i do have an IDE card, so i just might use that (must get it back from friend. he might be a little pissed, but that doesn't matter).

avello500

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.suicidaltendencies.com/
Tech Support!!!
« Reply #6 on: 1 June 2003, 21:37 »
what kind of board and did you update the bios\drivers?
also is the second drive and ide133?
How can you say im crazy? You wouldnt know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch.  -- mike muir/suicidal tendencies

xyle_one

• VIP
Tech Support!!!
« Reply #7 on: 1 June 2003, 10:00 »
quote:
Originally posted by avello500:
what kind of board and did you update the bios\drivers?
also is the second drive and ide133?

its a tyan tiger mp, i bought it in 2001. i havent done a bios update in a long time. the drive is an ide133. i will have to double check that later though as i am not at home...
tyan tiger mp