Author Topic: History of anti-microsoft  (Read 385 times)

defurnej

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.linuxidee.com
History of anti-microsoft
« on: 28 September 2002, 00:12 »
Hello, all,

I was wondering about how far in the past other people distrusted MS.

My distrust already started in 1990, the year I got my first job. I worked for a small company, we sold PC's with Autocad, Novell networks, and Mac's for graphics applications.

In the hall hung a small plastic tab with on it : Microsoft Authorised Dealer, underneath it BG's signature.

Soon after that however, I noticed that this did not mean much. To be Compaq and Apple dealer, however, required training courses and so on, so this did mean much more.

We also had choice from three OS's at that time. We used Compaq-DOS 3.31, which could address large partitions or IBM-DOS 3.30. We didn't touch DOS 4.0 with a stick because of the instabilities.

I tried Win 2.0, but it did not make 2 weeks on my PC. In the beginning of 1991 Win 3.0 came out, but it also did not stay for more than two weeks on my PC.

I went for another job, and I could always settle with DR-DOS and WordPerfect products. I got annoyed when Microsoft started buying small companies which provided add-on products. I think that is because I thought it was not fair against people who did not want to run MS software.

I got really mad when FoxPro sold their soul to the devil himself. That must have been 1993 or 1994.

I have always been happy to evade MS products. I used DR-DOS and WP, later on OS/2, for most documents I could get by with LaTeX, since 1998 I have been using Linux.

Are there people who have similar stories in space and time ?

Jurgen

sporkme

• Kudos: 149
    • http://sporkme.net/
« Reply #1 on: 30 September 2002, 01:30 »
the distrust of microsoft goes back to gates' extortion of qdos (quick and dirty operating system), more widely known as MS-dos.  they bought it for 10k, which may seem like a lot, but when he and ballmer made thier big deal with IBM they did not even have the operating system they signed over.

dirty from square one.  ruthless.
just that you do not take an interest in politics does not mean that politics will not take an interest in you.  -pericles 430 b.c.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #2 on: 30 September 2002, 08:35 »
For me, it's just that I fell in love with the Mac OS many years ago... probably around 1991, when I was still a wee lad in the computer labs at a school we visited.

They had Mac Classics running system 6, or early 7... I don't remember. But I was enthralled with being able to actually USE the thing. I could do anything I wanted on it, and it wouldn't try to stop me.

Windows was always too unreliable to be empowering. My dislike for MS started as resentment that Windows wasn't as good as having a Mac.

Then, I was pissed at the lack of quality in subsequent releases. It was best during the reign of 95 and NT 4. I never had any problems from them.

98 was maybe a little better at times... but usually not. 2000 pissed me off and disappointed me. Windows Me can suck my salty nutsack, and XP can eat my feces.
Go the fuck ~