Author Topic: Not a test - don't ignore  (Read 2289 times)

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
Not a test - don't ignore
« Reply #15 on: 7 July 2003, 21:55 »
Bah. I might as well tell people about myself, not unlike the others in this thread.

My name is Gleb, and I'm a mere highschool student. Once I hit college, I plan to study physics or math. I speak English, Russian, and Hebrew fluently (as well as write and read them perfectly), and am currently learning French in a classroom (after learning three languages very well just by growing up around them, I now find that classes do not give justice to language learning).

I grew up in Minsk (Belarus--I usually say Russia, because most don't know that Belarus actually exists, sadly), Jerusalem (Israel, I'm sure you know), and Houston (Texas).

I exclusivly use Slackware Linux, unless I have to do something special with Windows (sometimes something does arouse and I have to install it).

As a hobby, I program and mess around with hardware, and enjoying reading up on both.

[ July 07, 2003: Message edited by: TheQuirk ]

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
« Reply #16 on: 7 July 2003, 10:28 »
I only speak French and English fluently; I learnt Spanish and German at school. I once travelled to Europe  for two weeks -- an experience I have thoroughly enjoyed. I mostly visited France, some bits of Belgium and Netherlands, and briefly Monaco and Germany. Today I mostly waste my time on the computer. I really need to find something else to do.

Pissed_Macman

• VIP
  • Kudos: 0
    • http://www.macrevolution.tk
« Reply #17 on: 7 July 2003, 11:32 »
Gleb would be a cool name to have, but not as cool as Bob of course. I hope to visit Europe someday (I don't think Canada exactly counts as Europe).

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #18 on: 7 July 2003, 12:10 »
okay. i guess i can actually tell a little bit about myself. My real name is Roy. I write ecsyle. By write i mean, i sign all of my art with ecsyle. It was my graffiti name, but my art evolved and graffiti become like nothing to me. I am a self-taught artist and have been drawing for as long as i can remember. For the last few years though, i have been hooked on the computer, and have neglected my art altogether. This is changing as i more frequently turn the damn machines off. I used to write (poetry, and other crap  ;) , and was actually good at it, but have been out of practice for a long time. My writing now is choppy and my vocabulary is non-existent. I used to be into the "rave" thing until it died and was replaced by drug hungry pre-teens who molest each other on the floor. Now i am really finding myself into hip hop again, real hip hop, like eyedea, slug, prince paul, brother ali. none of this "gangsta" rap crap. I do enjoy almost all types of music, and have been listening to alot of, i guess you could call it "emo". I couldn't turn a computer on in '99. I used windows up until last summer when a freind traded me his old g4 for some POS pda (sucker  ;)  ). After that i installed linux on an old machine and have been geeking out ever since. It has gotten worse, so like i said, i turn the damn machines off. I read in my free-time. Currently i am reading this book about zen & japanese culture. More specifically, the impact on japanese culture. I have just finished Shogun by james clavell, and it has spun me in the crazy japanese fetish now. I am also reading martin elsens theater of the absurd, which is about the theater of the absurd and some of the more dynamic writers of the style. I do not know much about theater, so this, i think, is a great way to be introduced. My favorite book to this day reamains a toss up between the Dune, and Nine Princes in Amber. actually, i guess it would be the first 3 dune books and the first 5 amber books. whatever. they kick ass. I have just started a small design firm with a few freinds called Eskador, and it is showing alot of potential. hopefully it keeps up  ;)

NikS

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #19 on: 8 July 2003, 10:17 »
Yesterday I had a short talk with myself:
-NikS, shut the f*ck up OR post smth normal.
-Why? Come on, that thing 'bout Ak74's was cool!
-Your last post was shit and you do know it.

So I decided to tell smth about myself too.
As I have already told, my name is Roman. (by the way, it's pronounced romAn - they called me rOman in the US   ) I speak Russian, English and German (a bit) and plan to learn Korean.

I used to be a member of a "military sport-technical club" - I got some weapons&vehicles experience (I still don't understand how those cinema commandos fire AK's in full auto and hit the target with all 30 bullets   ), did two trips to the US and four to China.

I even tried to write smth (the result was 2 chapters of a well-(un)known (un)published "Rotten-Life : Adventures in Black Mess-up", a (supposed-to-be) parody on Half-Life.)

PS Oh, and I had a birthday three days ago.  
It's hard to collect knocked-out teeth with broken arms

xyle_one

• VIP
« Reply #20 on: 8 July 2003, 11:00 »
happy bday NikS  

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
« Reply #21 on: 8 July 2003, 22:00 »
Hey, I had a birthday 8 days ago. So now it's my unbirthday. A very merry unbirthday, to me.

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
« Reply #22 on: 8 July 2003, 22:17 »
Happy birthday.

Odd. My dad's birthday was yesterday.

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
« Reply #23 on: 8 July 2003, 23:45 »
My 18th birthday was a few weeks ago, june 16th. 7 days before the announcement of the G5!

xyle_one

• VIP
« Reply #24 on: 9 July 2003, 04:27 »
there are alot of birthdays this time of year. at least, out of the people i know, most of the bdays all around the end of june, beginning of july. last week was fun, there were like 5 bdays to celebrate, and believe me, we did exactly that. i am fucking beat. i stayed home from work yesterday because the weekend killed me   ;)

[ July 08, 2003: Message edited by: ecsyle:951 ]

Siplus

• Kudos: 43
    • http://www.siplus.org
« Reply #25 on: 9 July 2003, 05:17 »
hmm....i just turned 16 june 20th....

http://www.siplus.org

"Your computer is already fucked up by having Windows
on it, you can only unfuck it up by installing Linux."
-- void main (old school MES member)

Desktop: Athlon 2600/ 768mb DDR266
--Running: Ubuntu 5.10, FC4, Win2k
 (Also, Unbuntu 6-06:5, 5.04; Fedora Core 5, WinXP, but none of these are used much)
12" Powerbook: 1.5 Ghz G4 PowerPC / 1.25 GB DDR333
--Running: Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger

suselinux

« Reply #26 on: 9 July 2003, 07:35 »
16??

Bunch a bloody kids in here

damn amenimity

How old are most of you people?

Im 21--------and feelin' dorkier by the minute

no offence ment to anyone..... just in shock

xyle_one

• VIP
« Reply #27 on: 9 July 2003, 07:46 »
im 22. i turned 22 in march.

M51DPS

• VIP
« Reply #28 on: 9 July 2003, 08:46 »
I wonder who's the youngest active member here

solo

• Kudos: 1
    • http://www.komodolinux.org/
« Reply #29 on: 12 July 2003, 14:18 »
meh name is william lahti but i keep the handle of FuRY for the effect. i code. alot. i also play with gimp a lot. im currently involved in the slicker project, for which i did a lot of the current taskbar code and am working on an opengl taskbar for it now. i just joined stryker's calyptos project, because a lot of his ideas are very similiar to mine and he seems to want to make a distro that is very usable, even if it means not staying in the lines, which is a good thing. my two current big personal projects are Tick/Shear, which is a meta-data extension to ELF executables to provide embedded application icons, among other things, and XCalibur, a modern X11 toolkit designed to keep code down and speed as high as possible, while keeping modularity and seperation of policy and mechanism.

about me myself? I'm 17 and I live in ishpeming, michigan (thats the upper peninsula of michigan). I play a lot of video games, like Enemy Territory and America's Army. I have a celeron 1.7ghz processor with a gf2mx altho i plan to upgrade vid cards soon. I play guitar and I just bought an ibanez grx40z and man is it beautiful. I am only fluent in one language although I know a little german. I write music when I get the time. I usually wake up at 2 PM and go to sleep at 5 AM (its 5 AM now btw). I wear white socks, and like black clothes, although red and dark blue are some of my good colors too. I hate microsoft. I love linux. I got my first pc in 98, with, guess what, windows 98 on it. I gradually became a script kiddy html designer, then upgraded to script kiddy visual basic programmer with a pirated copy of vb5. then i got vb6 and i learned a lot of stuff. I looked up to one named JoLT who created the JoLT Media Player (JMP) which was a media player that (as i later learned) used the WMP library for playback. It was made in vb but it was a very nice app. JoLT has since moved on and decided to become a nuclear physicist. I then got a hold of a pirated copy of Delphi 5 and was shocked at how great it was in comparison to VB. I did a lot of work on windows applications with delphi. Then I upgraded to Windows XP (on a 600 mhz pc). I got Delphi 6 and continuedworking, altho the pc ran very slow with XP on it. Eventually I got sick and tired of the cursor freezing and I decided to get linux, which I had heard of referenced by techtv and a few other places. My friend who used linux used slackware, so that's what I got. I downlaoded partition magic and tried to resize my ntfs partiion but the shitty pm software froze and i lost all my data. i whiped the hdd and put linux on, starting from scratch (lemme tell you i had a LOT of work on that). Over the course of about 2 months I learned everything about linux from the command line up, with virtually no help. When I started I didnt so much as know the directory listing command (ls of course). I slowly figured out each of my problems until I got X working. That second I got X working I was so happy, seeing the KDE desktop loading, all nice and pretty (sorta). I was addicted to Linux. I started seriously learning C/C++ and *very* soon I knew them fluently. Now we come to present day.

Hmm now that I've given my pc-related life story.

I like cheese cake a lot. It's my favorite food. Past that I'll eat anything. I drink coffee occasionally but I LOVE coca-cola. I hate pepsi and you all should too because they chickened-out on their deal with ludacris for him to be the pepsi spokesman. so drink coke, the honest cola company. i dont care if cola rots my teeth ill drink it anyway because it tastes good.

For the past 6 months or so I have played with gimp A LOT. I am definitely not an artist, but I know gimp like the back of my hand, and consider myself quite confident in the ways of digital imaging. I don't care if you maccies think that photoshop is better because I have morals regarding OSS/proprietary software and am frankly not willing to pay for anything that is a bit better than gimp. I am perfectly happy with gimp and havent found anything that is impossible to do in gimp yet.

I don't mind trolls because they are a necessary evil but don't mind sniping them off forums once in awhile. I like reading the news, linux.org, /., osnews.com, etc.

i like eye candy, which slicker has always owned in the kde department. if anyone thinks karamba is a better eye candy idea than slicker just wait for about a month and youll see what im talking about...

i like chatting in irc and aim which i do alot. i chat on #freenode and my nick is xfury. I have registered #xcalibur, because that is my project and want to  have a place to discuss it when development begins to heat up (aka, when i get the time). i am a regular in #linuxos, #slicker, sometimes #xwin, #opengl, and #qt. look for me in those. i will most always be in either #slicker or #linuxos.

I like KDE over GNOME because it's better for configuration and has always been an eye-candy lovers palace.

i need to sleep now, its 5:30 AM
Komodoware, moving Linux to your desktop.
http://www.komodoware.com/