Author Topic: Not a test - don't ignore  (Read 2304 times)

avello500

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.suicidaltendencies.com/
Not a test - don't ignore
« Reply #30 on: 12 July 2003, 14:38 »
well it all started when i was two. my mom lost me at the circus. the clowns gave me a place to sleep.
the trapeze people droped me twice. that sexy ladies snake bit me. thats when i started hanging with the freaks. the sword swallowing lady was real nice to me. her midget husband didnt like me but i kicked his ass. then i turned 4.

thats about as far as i can get before people jump from the window.
How can you say im crazy? You wouldnt know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch.  -- mike muir/suicidal tendencies

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
« Reply #31 on: 13 July 2003, 04:19 »
I agree, Pepsi tastes like shit and needs to die. Plus cheese cake is some of the greatest stuff on earth. I think I'll tell my computer-related life up to now.

Despite the fact that everyone in my community uses windows (even now the furthest from that is one of my friends using Lindows), I was lucky enough to have parents that used macs. Our first computer was a Macintosh SE/30 that I thought was amazing. I loved using KidPix, playing Number Munchers, and watching my brother play Dungeons and Dragons. After it's monitor died, we got a Performa 6116 CD. That was also amazing (mostly because it had a color monitor). It was motly then that I started playing around with computers a lot. Soon we also got a second computer (a Quadra, but I don't know what model). After a while we replaced the Quadra with a PowerMac 8500/150. A couple years ago I started messing with reorces whie developing plugins for a game called EV: Override. Eventually my Dad got an iBook and last year my mom got a PowerBook. At the end of the summe brother is going to get  an iBook with money from his summer job. The monitor from the Performa died a couple years ago so we replaced it with a PowerMac 5500/225. Lately I've been trying to get the Performa hard drive to work in the 8500. Not long ago someone gave me a QuickTake 100, which still works pretty well. A few months ago I also set up a network that connects all the computers in our house to the internet. It's pretty annoying with most of the people around me who worship windows and the xbox, and those who do listen to me don't care about what microsoft does, just so long as they can still suf the internet and instant message their friends.

For most of my life I never cared about what operating system a computer used. Last year when I heard about this web site on a game sevice called GameRanger. I liked Linux and have wanted to try it out ever since (but haven't actually had much time yet). I had already begun getting frustrated with windows, so this site was easy to agree with. Recently I've been trying to learn how to use the Mac OS X terminal. Does anyone know a good tutorial where I can learn just the basics and figure it out from there?

[ July 12, 2003: Message edited by: M51DPS ]

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #32 on: 13 July 2003, 05:49 »
i hate computers. more and more, they drive me insane. fuck em. turn the machine off, go outside, go paint some graf. go listen to some music. read a book. nope. i will sit here and fiddle with php and this goddamn intraweb bullshit. it is fun, but it is too involved. at least for me, it is too involved. computers sucked me in and there is no turning back. i am a geek. fate or something. oh well. that is enough of that. this thread needs to catch up. the ignore thread is kicking ass. probably because it says ignore and we are a reblious people who will do the opposite and post in it till it is larger than the large images thread. speaking of which, i think it is time to add a desktop to that thread .. . .

M51DPS

• VIP
« Reply #33 on: 17 July 2003, 23:56 »
Hey, we've nearly got halfway to the other thread! We're catching up! Who here thinks that I should keep my bling sig picture year round instead of just for July?

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
« Reply #34 on: 17 July 2003, 23:59 »
quote:
Originally posted by M51DPS:
Who here thinks that I should keep my bling sig picture year round instead of just for July?

Someone else.

I would say something meaningfull, but I have to go.

Will we ever land on the moon?

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #35 on: 18 July 2003, 00:41 »
quote:
....Who here thinks that I should keep my bling sig picture year round instead of just for July?

i think, that next month, we come up with something else. only this time, i am not going to make it  ;)

maybe we should have them all the same szie (the bling sigs).

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
« Reply #36 on: 18 July 2003, 01:55 »
Part of this has been copied from another long post:

Okay, this is how I came to discover alternatives. I remember when I was a Wolfenstein junkie back in 98. There was (and still is) a flourishing community of Wolf3d mods since the release of its source code in 95. Anyway, I wanted to make my own (I never got around to finish it), and I saw pictures of the Mac version, which impressed me. So, wanting to try the Mac version, I download Basilisk II and started toying with System 7.

Imagine, I had only occasionally used Macs at school in 94-96, I didn't even know that Apple was still in business, let alone anything about the newer iMacs. I had no particular opinion about them; all I knew was that there was 'this other' computer out there, not knowing that any other platform existed, young and blissfully ignorant about Amiga, Acorn, BeOS and even Linux.

So, I was impressed by an old version of Mac OS, compared to Windows 98. Impressed by its simplicity and its elegance. Impressed the first time I slid an .sit icon on the Stuffit Expander icon on the desktop, and seeing the a fully expanded folder named after the archive, right next to the .sit or the .hqx. And yes, I was also impressed by the icons 'body only' feature. Impressed at how everything was easy everything was. No installer, no huge splash screen. The OS just minded its own business. And when I tried Wolfenstein, I was impressed by the graphical capabilities of the Macintosh so early back in the DOS days.

I remember that I wasn't particularly fond of Windows, either. I remember how much I protested when Dad installed Windows 95 on the computer, afraid (and rightly so) that all my DOS games wouldn't work anymore.

Anyway, as I hunted for more stuff to use in Basilisk, I went across emulation sites that talked about other systems I had never heard of before -- like Amiga, Acorn, NeXT -- which I tried out with various emulators. Eventually, I heard about BeOS, QNX, then Linux, and realised that there were other x86 operating systems than Windows and DOS.

So, I tried out BeOS -- which I still use today --, and I really liked it; I was impressed by its speed, its simplicity and its stability. Then, I heard about UNIX, and how it was much more stable than Windows. So, one day, I got a good book at the library, and installed Red Hat Linux 6.0. I eventually found out about other distros, and tried them out -- mainly Mandrake and SuSE.

For two years, I learnt about the world of UNIX. I was starting to know much more about computers than ever before, and eventually surpassed my dad.  I was so proud.

And then, wandering from website to website, hunting for anti-microsoft propaganda for entertainment, I eventually came across fuckmicrosoft.com. I lurked there for a very long time -- at least a year and a half -- before posting anything. Which I regret, considering the state of the forums right now.

Now you know how I came here.

[ July 17, 2003: Message edited by: Laukev7 ]

M51DPS

• VIP
« Reply #37 on: 18 July 2003, 06:15 »
I got here a few months ago, right when it turned to crap with all of the political shit. I really wish I had gotten here sooner . . .

Laukev7

• VIP
« Reply #38 on: 18 July 2003, 06:25 »
I agree with you, M51DPS. I am saddened by how much advocating an OS has become tainted with political motives (other than common hatred for Microsoft, of course). For example, people who would piss on Apple because they refuse to give their source away. As a result, I've come to dislike Linux, and especially the FSF and their proponents.

jasonlane

• http://www.root10.net
« Reply #39 on: 18 July 2003, 07:11 »
Jeez! looks like I've stumbled on the kiss and tell corner  :rolleyes:  

OK here we go then.....

I think (as you all seem to be on the age trip) I might be the oldest one here. I'm 32, is that old? To be honest I still feel 12 on a good day, if I'm feeling especially sensible then perhaps 18.

My real name is Jason Lane, I grew up in Spain, about 30 clicks south of Barcelona, in a place called Villanueva y la Geltru. Spent 12 years there all told and although both my parents are English I consider my self, well not typical English. We were there when Franco was still dictating, which was interesting. I have a very early memory of the local fascist (blue shirts I think they called them) goose stepping in a local plaza. Strange days!

I finished my education here in the UK, which was kind of hard as I had attended a Spanish state school. My parents took me out of the American School in Barcelona after about 3 months. For which I'm grateful, I have nothing against Americans BTW.

My first experience of computing was with a BBC Micro and Acorn systems, which was, uh, fun. I never liked M$, I loved Apple as soon as I used one (an LC475). At University I studied Architecture and I guess that was my first real exposure to useful computing, i.e, Auto-CAD. What It made me realise though was that I didn't want to be an Architect, I found this new thing called the web, far, far more exciting. So I took a year out and trained myself in all things web. Soon I found myself working in London for a New Media Studio (never liked that expression). This was really good because I got to work for some pretty major clients, learning tons of stuff along the way. I was really early on in my career that I knew were I wanted to be and that was basically XML, so I started learning everything about XML, XSL(T), some Java, yada, yada, yada. After 4 years working in London I left, when the company I was with started to use ASP and obviously wanted me to use M$ shit as well, no way jose. I though they sold out.

So now I've started my own little venture with a friend and were actually well on the way to producing some kick ass XML/Java sites. I commit some small bits from time to time to the Apache XML project, Specifically Forrest. I hope to have the time to be more involved with this. I work almost entirely now on OS X and some times Suse.  In a year or so time we also hope to be able to release a 100% pure XML/Java ecommerce system that will be open source of course. Still have to find a name for it though.

My favourite colours are blue and green (did you know that in the Inca culture they had know word for green?), My favourite pastime other than coding is Skiing. I prefer Coke, not Pepsi (did you know Fanta was he soft drink supplied to the German troops during WW2). I like useless facts.
The MES Anti-Prude Force
"I don

jasonlane

« Reply #40 on: 18 July 2003, 07:21 »
quote:
Recently I've been trying to learn how to use the Mac OS X terminal. Does anyone know a good tutorial where I can learn just the basics and figure it out from there?

There some good books out there now, however there are some good online resources for example:

OS X

To be honest I know it's become a cliche but google it  
The MES Anti-Prude Force
"I don

Laukev7

• VIP
« Reply #41 on: 18 July 2003, 07:26 »
quote:
I like useless facts.

Heh, me too. By the way, did you know that VW was sponsored by Adolf Hitler himself?

Since we're describing each other, Zardoz, what does you sig mean? Is it a reference?

jasonlane

« Reply #42 on: 18 July 2003, 07:36 »
quote:
Originally posted by Laukev7:

Heh, me too. By the way, did you know that VW was sponsored by Adolf Hitler himself?

Since we're describing each other, Zardoz, what does you sig mean? Is it a reference?

Yup to a really bad (cool film), possibly the worst film Sean Connery has ever stared in.  A must see:

Zardoz

And what about Laukev7 ?

It is now 3:54 am in the UK and I have to motivate myself for work tomorrow, goodnight    ;)  

[ July 17, 2003: Message edited by: Zardoz ]

[ July 17, 2003: Message edited by: Zardoz ]

The MES Anti-Prude Force
"I don

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
« Reply #43 on: 18 July 2003, 07:57 »
hmm... for you linux people out there...

When did u first start using linux? how did u hear about it? has anyone here used it since the begining? what was ur first distro?

me? I started a few years ago when I was playing muds. I wanted to make one. I looked for a host and everyone said they ran linux... i was like "what the hell is linux?". Luckily I drove myself to figure out what linux was. I've been using it since redhat 7.1 (my first distro).

bacon is good.

Laukev7

• VIP
« Reply #44 on: 18 July 2003, 08:02 »
Laukev stands for Laurier Kevin, with a 7 appended to make it look cool. Very imaginative, isn't it.

I have to find a real nick someday...

And my sig means 'Down with Microsoft! Bill to the gallows!'

I also had a sig in Latin which meant 'Give back to Caesar what belongs to Caesar, and back to God what belongs to him'.

[ July 17, 2003: Message edited by: Laukev7 ]