Author Topic: MS can inventory your system any time they want, read the EULA  (Read 991 times)

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
MS can inventory your system any time they want, read the EULA
« Reply #1 on: 11 February 2002, 20:53 »
Now *that* is very interesting. I've been reading for months now reassurances on lots of tech forums and sites that Win XP doesn't "phone home" and that any claims that it does are just so much FUD. So, who's right here? Yet another reason to prefer Linux: at least I know that there aren't any daemons in my op-sys that go running home to mother every time I go on-line.  
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

dbl221

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: 11 February 2002, 23:52 »
Man thats so typical.....these big companies make up their "rules" and don't even care that many of them are illegal.....like for instance...cracking into a remote computer system.

Legal point...Cracking is illegal, you can not give someone permission to do something illegal....its impossible.

Just because you sign a contract that Microsoft can update software on your systems, does not neccesarily mean that you have granted permission for them to circumvent your security measures....some of which may be mandated in law.

If Microsoft did breach your firewalls etc...and you are required by law to maintain that security...the law will apply not the contract.

Think criminal Law vs Civil law and you will understand.

dbl221***Comp-Sys walking wounded

CommonSense

• VIP
    • http://www.microsuck.com
« Reply #3 on: 12 February 2002, 03:24 »
That's right, Bill and Steve . . . keep pulling those triggers on the rifles you're pointing square at your feet.  Go right on ahead . . . keep shooting.      

The empire's starting to fall, folks.  It's going to be slow right now -- just an occasional small, pebble-sized piece chipping off the gigantic mountain that Microsoft currently is -- but think of it as the snowball that's just starting its roll down the hill.

In the 80s, IBM was the 50-ton gorilla; they've been significantly tamed since then.  Microsoft was just like any other little software company, nothing of any particular note.  And hell, Apple and Commodore were big players.  So now I'm supposed to believe that Microsoft will buck the trend, and somehow be the first empire to last?

Nahhh.  As long as they keep pulling shit like this, I know it won't be too much longer now.

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #4 on: 12 February 2002, 05:00 »
Hey webmaster...

why Bill and Steve??

Are you refering to Jobs? What did he ever do?

Seriously, why is he mentiond in the same sentance with someone as loathsome as Bill Gates. He's kinda wierd, but he ain't evil....
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #5 on: 12 February 2002, 06:52 »
Steve Jobs is not, but Steve Balmer *is*, and who Webby was referring to. Steve Balmer is one evolutionary step below ape.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #6 on: 12 February 2002, 06:58 »
AHHHHHH.... thank you for your correction I was confused  

I appologize for my ignorance.

Seriously.

Thanks alot
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

iancom

« Reply #7 on: 14 February 2002, 04:27 »
Perhaps a little off-topic, but an interesting reminder that Microsoft are not the only threat to our information privacy and security:

Recently I was considering installing Sky Digital (Rupert Murdoch owned media empire's digital TV offering that enjoys a near-monopoly in the UK), and uncharacteristically actually read the terms & conditions before signing up.

I was horrified to find a clause that I must keep the set-top box connected to my telephone line at all times otherwise I am liable for a hefty fine and termination of service.

No explanation for this of course, but it doesn't take much thought to realise how their marketing and advertising sales departments would profit from this intrusion into my privacy.

Naturally my interest in that service ended there and then...

booksacool1

• http://www.neopets.com/mac/booksacool1
« Reply #8 on: 14 February 2002, 04:38 »
I knew it was true. Microsoft can "legaly" hack your computer.
GOOOOOOOOOOOOO NEW ZEALAND

iancom

« Reply #9 on: 14 February 2002, 05:06 »
Yup, Microsoft are hacking their customers...

The definition of a trojan, according to the widely-used and respected Jargon File (http://tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/) is:

"A malicious security-breaking program that is disguised as something benign..."

Seems to fit the Windows family fairly well?