Author Topic: Microsoft to license Unix code  (Read 846 times)

Tattooed

• Kudos: 0
Microsoft to license Unix code
« on: 20 May 2003, 17:48 »
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/030519/36/e0c0l.html
Could this be the end of Linux  :eek:    :(

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2003, 22:10 »
Maybe Microsoft will get rid of the NT core and put use UNIX as their core for Windows Server 2003 and Longhorn.
They made a UNIX OS before (Microsoft Xenix, I believe...).

suselinux

• Kudos: 30
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2003, 22:17 »
quote:
Originally posted by Refalm:
Maybe Microsoft will get rid of the NT core and put use UNIX as their core for Windows Server 2003 and Longhorn.
They made a UNIX OS before (Microsoft Xenix, I believe...).

If Longhorn had a UNIX kernel, could it be par with Mac OSX.

If microsoft did this they would have two versions

an old one running on the old NT core

and an overpriced version said to have the stability of UNIX

ShawnD1

• Kudos: 106
« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2003, 08:22 »
i only hate MS because their OS crashes on me. if it didn't crash and i was still able to reinstall it on any computer in my house, i would love it. if that happened and Windows became stable, the war against Microsoft would be essentialy over  

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2003, 21:25 »
There used to be a company, I don't remember their name, but their whole purpose was to make software to let unix software run on NT.  

MS bought them out last year or the year before to incorporate it into windows directly.

They are probably licencing the UNIX for this.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2003, 10:08 »
quote:
Could this be the end of Linux
In a word: NO.

To be sure, His Gatesness would never pass up an attempt to stick it to Linux. To this end, MS is licensing SCO UNIX in order to toss a few $$$ their way so that they can continue their suit against IBM. It has the added benefit of making SCO's case look stronger. What they're saying is that MS, itself, is "afraid" that they might be next on the lawsuit hit list. After all, it is already known that MS does include UNIX code, especially the TCP/IP stack from the BSDs.

Also, this is really good news. After all, SCO is trying an exit strategy wherein they're hoping  for a buy-out. If MS really thought SCO had a case, then why don't they buy out SCO? If they did that, MS could directly sue IBM, and, perhaps, by extension, sue Linux out of existance. They haven't done this, just bought a license. It's obvious that MS's own legal dept. doesn't believe in the viability of this suit. They'd never take a pass on this if they believed otherwise.

Also, it is highly doubtful that MS wants that UNIX license in an attempt to migrate Winderz to a *NIX core. If they were to do that, then they'd break every MS app out there. The piss-off factor would be too much for even them to withstand. Nor would they want to compete with themselves by offering a *NIX based OS and an inferior NT-based product. Lastly, a *NIX-based MS version of Winderz could run all that Open Source soft without too much difficulty. They'd cut the market for their own vastly over-priced soft, such as Office, etc. right out from under themselves. Indeed, such a move would probably benefit the Linux/Open Source communities. After all, why pay $200 or more for a *NIX-based Winderz when you can get a *NIX-based Linux for free. Especially if Linux could just as easily run the very MS apps that they'd have to port to *NIX?

Ain't gonna happen.

"There: now you'll never have to look at those dirty Windows anymore"
      --Daffy Duck
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

Faust

« Reply #6 on: 21 May 2003, 10:31 »
quote:
It's obvious that MS's own legal dept. doesn't believe in the viability of this suit.

It doesn't have to be a "viable" (win-able) suit to be of use - all it has to do is generate FUD and it will certainly accomplish that.
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

NM

« Reply #7 on: 21 May 2003, 11:12 »
Maybe a fund should be started to buy out SCOs Unix copyrights.

SAJChurchey

• http://sajchurchey.htmlplanet.com
« Reply #8 on: 21 May 2003, 13:31 »
Well,  that's a good idea, if it wasn't for the fact taht M$ can offer more money than any OpenSource, Linux, and/or anti-M$ organization can possibly raise combined.
SAJChurchey                    

realist

• http://buddha.kicks-ass.net/macosx/
« Reply #9 on: 21 May 2003, 19:45 »
Microsoft are only buying a Unix license because they don't want it coming out in court that they (possibly illegally) use Linux to develop software themselves. It would be embarrasing to them and it would put them in another sticky legal position.
You Younguns Know Nuthin'.

suselinux

• Kudos: 30
« Reply #10 on: 21 May 2003, 21:53 »
quote:
Originally posted by The Realist:
Microsoft are only buying a Unix license because they don't want it coming out in court that they (possibly illegally) use Linux to develop software themselves. It would be embarrasing to them and it would put them in another sticky legal position.

Is there any documentation for this

sounds interesting.

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
« Reply #11 on: 22 May 2003, 02:38 »
quote:
Maybe a fund should be started to buy out SCOs Unix copyrights.
What the hell for?(!)  :eek:

See:OSI Position Paper on the SCO-vs-IBM Complaint by Eric S. Raymond of the Open Source Initiave. He pretty much demonstrates that these copyrights are for code that's largely obsolete, and thus, worthless to the continuing development of Linux. SCO' lawsuit is complete bullshit.

"There: now you'll never have to look at those dirty Windows anymore"
      --Daffy Duck
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?