Author Topic: Microsoft will help design High School  (Read 2025 times)

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Microsoft will help design High School
« Reply #15 on: 7 September 2003, 20:26 »
Linux is great for schools. If you have Windows on schools, kids are going to install all kinds of stupid shit on them. Oh sure, Windows has built in install protection, but how about just downloading a ZIP file and extracting it? There was no installation, and you can play Quake II (talking from experience).

When you do Linux on schools, no-one will be able to even run anything that isn't installed. You won't be able to extract anything. If you just need Mozilla, VideoLAN and OpenOffice.org on it, than that's all you get. No fancy stuff or distractions.

solarismka

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #16 on: 9 September 2003, 08:13 »
quote:
Originally posted by Refalm:
Linux is great for schools. If you have Windows on schools, kids are going to install all kinds of stupid shit on them. Oh sure, Windows has built in install protection, but how about just downloading a ZIP file and extracting it? There was no installation, and you can play Quake II (talking from experience).

When you do Linux on schools, no-one will be able to even run anything that isn't installed. You won't be able to extract anything. If you just need Mozilla, VideoLAN and OpenOffice.org on it, than that's all you get. No fancy stuff or distractions.

Not to mention the absolute stability of Linux!

No more: Miss, miss I got wanna those blue screen thing'ies!
"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.

slvadcjelli42

« Reply #17 on: 12 September 2003, 04:18 »
That's absolutely disgusting. Philadelphia's public schools are as unstable, out-of-wack and under-funded as ever (trust me on this one), and THIS is what they're pouring money into. It's not even the MS aspect that gets to me the most, really. More / better teachers, smaller classes, upgraded infrastructure? No, of course not, what was I thinking, sheesh... I could not agree with M. O'brien more on this one.

quote:
Originally posted by M. O'Brien:
Insane...computerize everything whether it needs computerization or not.  Forget teachers, technology is the key to education.  

%$^#

:mad:  

I haven't posted here in a long time, but one of the last ones i made mentioned our school "upgrading" to XP. It's insane. Explorer barely runs and crashes often when it does, and on top of that our "network administrator" has tried to disable the command prompt for some reason, so most people can't use that instead of explorer. Yeah, it's that bad. (He hasn't succeeded, but that's a different story...). And then permissions and security settings keep messing up so we can barely manage our work on some of them as it is (Explorer wouldn't let me make a new folder, but MS Paint would. He found that very interesting). There's a ton more but it would be a waste of time and space to post it.
Oh, but one last thing: Refalm hit the nail on the head on this one. the students at my school are constantly downloading crap, finding ways around the security settings (hehe.. for example, now, once you find command.com [find, hell, it's not even hidden], you can do anything. I'm not sure what to do with that right now), playing games (that has become some sort of blasphemy), and so on. Linux would make it a breeze to fix all that, and yet they keep struggling with windows, and getting mad when we figure out ways around their blockades.   :rolleyes:

Faust

« Reply #18 on: 12 September 2003, 04:26 »
If they ever do *properly* manage to disable the command prompt just run your commands from a .bat file.  It runs through all the commands and then *after* they've gone through it pops up the "command prompt has been disabled please see your admin" message.  :rolleyes:
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

slvadcjelli42

« Reply #19 on: 14 September 2003, 04:33 »
Ah, yes, that's the message it was giving us for a little while there. Heheh, didn't think of using batch files. Thanks, that could come in handy.   :D

mushrooomprince

• Kudos: 55
« Reply #20 on: 14 September 2003, 05:51 »
Microsoft and Intel are pumping my highschool full of tablet PC's.
No thanks.  I don't their $3000 note taking machines.

"But teacher, a virus ate my homework"
All your base are belong to us.

bananafodder

• http://kickme.to/bananafodder
« Reply #21 on: 17 September 2003, 21:00 »
heahah... using M$ in HS... A great excuse to say how your homework got pwn3d. Many a times used in my HS and.. got away with it..
I can't believe they're going to spend so much money  on M$. M$ that can't even provide proper network security, stable OS. WORKING APPLICATIONS !@#@$#% COMPATIBLE SOFTWARE... k i'm getting worked up...