Author Topic: Howdy!  (Read 813 times)

flap

• Kudos: 137
Howdy!
« Reply #15 on: 22 May 2004, 06:08 »
I wouldn't recommend an object oriented language to anyone. Why start them off learning bad habits?
"While envisaging the destruction of imperialism, it is necessary to identify its head, which is none other than the United States of America." - Ernesto Che Guevara

http://counterpunch.org
http://globalresearch.ca

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
Howdy!
« Reply #16 on: 22 May 2004, 07:10 »
What's wrong with object oriented languages?

flap

• Kudos: 137
Howdy!
« Reply #17 on: 22 May 2004, 16:30 »
Well basically if OO were just a minor syntactic extension to a procedural language (i.e. a simple addition of classes/objects as enriched data structures) then I wouldn't really have a problem with it. But taking the idea of objects and then orienting the whole programming approach around it doesn't really make sense.

Learning OO is one thing, but I wouldn't recommend an OO language as a first language.

[ May 22, 2004: Message edited by: flap ]

"While envisaging the destruction of imperialism, it is necessary to identify its head, which is none other than the United States of America." - Ernesto Che Guevara

http://counterpunch.org
http://globalresearch.ca

insomnia

• Kudos: 0
Howdy!
« Reply #18 on: 22 May 2004, 17:31 »
I prefer Perl myself, but it's less easy to start with.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
    Voltaire

Injustice is happening now; suffering is happening now. We have choices to make now. To insist on absolute certainty before starting to apply ethics to life decisions is a way of choosing to be amoral.
R. Stallman

http://www.pvda.be/

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
Howdy!
« Reply #19 on: 22 May 2004, 18:00 »
quote:
But taking the idea of objects and then orienting the whole programming approach around it doesn't really make sense.

Fair enough, but what's wrong with the object approach? I want to learn a programming language myself, and I'd like to know why you think the procedural approach is better than the object approach.

insomnia

Howdy!
« Reply #20 on: 22 May 2004, 18:13 »
quote:
Originally posted by Laukev7:

Fair enough, but what's wrong with the object approach? I want to learn a programming language myself, and I'd like to know why you think the procedural approach is better than the object approach.

Take Perl and Python...
If you writh the same program with both,
you'll see that your python code is bigger, less flexible and less pretty.
( I do find it an easy way for getting started...)

[ May 22, 2004: Message edited by: insomnia ]

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
    Voltaire

Injustice is happening now; suffering is happening now. We have choices to make now. To insist on absolute certainty before starting to apply ethics to life decisions is a way of choosing to be amoral.
R. Stallman

http://www.pvda.be/

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
Howdy!
« Reply #21 on: 23 May 2004, 11:43 »
quote:

Well basically if OO were just a minor syntactic extension to a procedural language (i.e. a simple addition of classes/objects as enriched data structures) then I wouldn't really have a problem with it. But taking the idea of objects and then orienting the whole programming approach around it doesn't really make sense.

That is pretty much how Python works. Ruby is the fully OO language where everything is an object. You can use it to program procedurally, or use OO, or make a hybrid-type program, just as you would if using C++. Furthermore, Python is probably one of the best ways to start. It's easy to learn, it's interpreted so that you get to see all the mistakes at once (like BASIC), and isn't just something you learn with before moving onto something better.

quote:

Python's class mechanism adds classes to the language with a minimum of new syntax and semantics. It is a mixture of the class mechanisms found in C++ and Modula-3. As is true for modules, classes in Python do not put an absolute barrier between definition and user, but rather rely on the politeness of the user not to ``break into the definition.'' The most important features of classes are retained with full power, however: the class inheritance mechanism allows multiple base classes, a derived class can override any methods of its base class or classes, a method can call the method of a base class with the same name. Objects can contain an arbitrary amount of private data.

In C++ terminology, all class members (including the data members) are public, and all member functions are virtual. There are no special constructors or destructors. As in Modula-3, there are no shorthands for referencing the object's members from its methods: the method function is declared with an explicit first argument representing the object, which is provided implicitly by the call. As in Smalltalk, classes themselves are objects, albeit in the wider sense of the word: in Python, all data types are objects. This provides semantics for importing and renaming. But, just like in C++ or Modula-3, built-in types cannot be used as base classes for extension by the user. Also, like in C++ but unlike in Modula-3, most built-in operators with special syntax (arithmetic operators, subscripting etc.) can be redefined for class instances.

[ May 23, 2004: Message edited by: jtpenrod ]

Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
Howdy!
« Reply #22 on: 23 May 2004, 11:52 »
"OSX is better."

How is it "better"? Yesterday, I finally got the opportunity to give OS X a go. I couldn't see any difference between that and any one of the Linux distros I've been running for the past three years. I'd say that they're the same, so far as quality, appearance, and ease of use goes.
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

solarismka

Howdy!
« Reply #23 on: 23 May 2004, 11:54 »
I don't know about everyone else.  But I started off with basic html, then java and then into Visual Basic/Visual C++, tben perl.

But thats just me.
"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.