Author Topic: psyjax--completely totally and utterly off-track but  (Read 757 times)

misfitnumber57

• Kudos: 0
    • http://biprox.virtue.nu
just curious but what other comics are you into? you mentioned you dig Dan Clowes (the man is god, imho) but is there anything else you read >?

i read the comics journal and anything else i can get my hands on, and anything coming out of drawn & quarterly

just wonderin

m#57

misfitnumber57

psyjax--completely totally and utterly off-track but
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2002, 23:40 »
quote:
Originally posted by psyjax:
*current project is a self-publication that i hope to reprint via fantagraphics*

Ah, self publication!

Hehe, yes. You should have a chat with Dave Sim or Scott McLeod on that. They have some interesting thoughts   :D  

I have a friend who wrote them e-mail on the subject and they responded with mixed results. One said Self-publication is a dead end road, the other said it was the only way to go.

As far as i know, Fantagraphics is interested in compleat work and will publish anything of quality. One of my teachers is Ted Stern, he does Fuzz and Pluck for Fantagraphics. I also head Sturm, the guy who did Golem's Mighty swing. He was an awsome teacher! He was all about self publishing, but after pitching his story for Fantagraphics, they picked him up overnight. Now the guy is nominated for an Eisner.

Go figure.

Whatever...

Comix is a hard road to travel, a dieing industry overrun with stupif superheroes and bad art. I hope I am one of the lucky few to one day participate in it   :D   or at least, one of those brightly shining gems that crop up every once in a while.

Oh ya, Jeff Smith has some interesting thoughts on Self Publication too if I recall corectly. And don't forget Will Eisner!

Shit... This is one hell of a digression. Ok ok... enugh off subject crap.

This is worse than when Void stated talking about his army days.

i'm a little ambivalent on Dave Sims' opinion of anything--he's a rather mysogynistic fellow, from what i understand

i've self-pub'd before--granted, off a photocopier--but it still was one of the most gratifying experiences of my high school art career.

the cool thing with fgraphix is that they're Just a publisher, more or less, not like with marvel/image/dc-wildstorm cos they don't do the staff artist work-for-hire runaround.

trust me when i say that i more or less know what i'm getting into--i've done a lot of reading up (between Scott McCloud's books & Creator's Bill of Rights and the Comic Book Rebels interviews to the various submission requirements for various indie publishers, i'm doing my homework)---the thing with me is that i know what i wanna do and i totally accept that lack of dignity that the industry has at times....

eisner is really one of the industry standards, yknow.  i mean, as far as Creative superiority.
the spirit is a classic series, and a perfect example of all we could hope for.  granted, he wasn't the best in regards to work practices but who is anymore *coughsandpointsattoddmcfarlane*hypocrite**

incidentally, what school are you in then?  

i'm not going to skool for cartooning/illustration (probably a mistake on my part) but i plan to get an associates degree at AI and then move on.....

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2002, 00:15 »
quote:
Originally posted by misfit#57:
just curious but what other comics are you into? you mentioned you dig Dan Clowes (the man is god, imho) but is there anything else you read >?

i read the comics journal and anything else i can get my hands on, and anything coming out of drawn & quarterly

just wonderin

m#57

I must get more into drawn & quarterly. My friend lent me a few of their books by one of their more famus artists whose name I canot remember. Steadman? err... anyway, he dose period pices usualy 18s and stuff. Pretty interesting really.

As far as comics I like:

I love European comix like Asterix and TinTin. Those comix to me are fantastic, I grew up on them, I love the art and the stories. They are light and fun while still remaining intelegent.

I also like a few japanese comics:

Ranma 1/2 and Nausicaa of the Vally of the Wind. are two comix that I belive any sequential artist should read, both for very diffrent reasons. Ranma 1/2 is an exercise in breathless absurdity and mahem, totaly silly, and never seases to leave me on the floor laughing, yet it does fall in to alot of Manga/Anime clich
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

psyjax

• VIP
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2002, 00:23 »
quote:

i'm a little ambivalent on Dave Sims' opinion of anything--he's a rather mysogynistic fellow, from what i understand

Yes, I suppose. I dunno, he didn't seem so when he came over here to speak. He gave an excellent speach on how to avoid procrasstination and how to establish a work ethic. It was really funny, stuff like, real artists don't own phones.

The thing is photocopied and passed around here.

quote:

i've self-pub'd before--granted, off a photocopier--but it still was one of the most gratifying experiences of my high school art career.

HAHAH! Cool... I never have even made it this far. Most of my stuff is written down in half baked scripts or sketched in to one of my million sketch books.

quote:

eisner is really one of the industry standards, yknow.  i mean, as far as Creative superiority.
the spirit is a classic series, and a perfect example of all we could hope for.  granted, he wasn't the best in regards to work practices but who is anymore *coughsandpointsattoddmcfarlane*hypocrite**

Eisner is incredible. A deffinit classic. I have to buy his books, I have read them, but I sadly don't own a one.

Oh, don't forget Art Speigleman! He rocks too, MAUSE and his contributions to the New Yorker are not to be overlooked.

quote:

incidentally, what school are you in then?    

i'm not going to skool for cartooning/illustration (probably a mistake on my part) but i plan to get an associates degree at AI and then move on.....

Im going to SCAD. A hellhole for artists. But the Sequential department is awsome  :D

Maybe I should be getting an associates and doing something sensible with my student loans.

psyjax

• VIP
« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2002, 00:27 »
Oh, some more comics i like.

[Jeez I can't belive Im even on this subject]

Classic, 40's stuff!!! Ahhhhh...

Windsore McKay Little Nemo is wonderfull. I love the art. It makes me drool, I can't belive that was a sunday comic.

Also, the guy who used to do the old Disney comics with Donald Duck and Scroodge. Also quite impressive, the writting and the art was amazing back in those days.

Calvin and Hobbs Far Side... jeez the list goes on. that's enugh for now  :D

misfitnumber57

« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2002, 04:43 »
wow--that's really cool

*feels embarrassed cos she doesnt have the presence of mind right now to respond to all of this*

incidentally--twas Carl Barks which did the donald duck/scrooge books, and apparently they're highly regarded by some fans..... :eek:  

hmm--i know this is forward of me, but if you have any IMs, either feel free to add me or email me yours?? i have icq up n running now, so i have all four major IMs in operation (including *yuk* msn)

laterz
m#57

misfitnumber57

« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2002, 06:32 »
finally got around to thinking for a few minutes, lol--

steadman, i think did a short piece for D&Q comp #4

Asterix and TinTin!!! YES! (D&Q did a special on Herg