Author Topic: To the staff of MES (now a comparison of transatlantic slang!)  (Read 1673 times)

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
To the staff of MES (now a comparison of transatlantic slang!)
« Reply #45 on: 11 October 2002, 20:17 »
quote:
Originally posted by Webmaster:

I dunno . . . it's not really a major enough change to be worth it.

Webmaster,
Is it just me or have you got a psychic connection to the forum which when you sence we are calling you and wondering if your dead or not you just seem too pop up.

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #46 on: 11 October 2002, 20:19 »
quote:
Originally posted by The Master of Reality / Bob:
"color" is how those damn americans spell it.
The rest of the world(well.. not completely the rest of the world obviously) spells it "colour".

ya bloody language hijackers!

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #47 on: 11 October 2002, 20:25 »
quote:
Originally posted by pkd:
One for the UK - In America the saying 'Taking the Piss' does not exist (except for the enlightened).
really?!?!? you're taking the piss, aren't you?  
quote:
So when I was shucking some corn I made the natural pun. 'Oh your just taking the Pith.' Not a titter I tell you. Except for one person who knew the gag - and smiled indulgently. Oh well, all those years in Britain rubbed off on me one way or the other.

note for those not in the know - somebody taking the piss has got nothing to do with something being a piece of piss (this means it is not difficult).
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #48 on: 11 October 2002, 20:30 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum:
what's wrong with "can i bum a fag?" (except that i don't smoke...) Usually it would be "you don't mind if i bum a fag off of you?" you wouldn't usually say you were bumming a fag just on its own.

you don't say 'dodgy'? what sort of a society are you running over there? WEIRDOS!!!

drawers is another good name for pants, do you use that in north-americaland?

there are so many that i myself have to watch, coming as i do from orkney, that even the rest of the UK don't know about. I had to stop saying 'peedie' when i moved away from orkney (it means small and is only used within orkney, shetlanders say 'peerie' to mean the same thing) for example and there are a ton more...

As i will keep saying the US are language hijackers. Just like Lindows are Linux hijackers.

I have finally quite smoking (for 2 weeks) i just substiuted them with heavy alcohol for the first week, if i get a craving... I have a shot of Jim Beam... Works a treat! Anyway i have given up it all now (still drinking alcohol moderatly again insted of alcoholicly.) and not smoking. And i have cut back on coffee intake.

anyway back too the subject.

Languages change lots, last year me and about 6 mates went camping in the bush. Brought out tents, food, and a few slabs of crown. When we came back after a week we sounded so different too normal people, we where much quiter because of the fact that we where isolated for a week. Since say the US have been isolated for many many years, no wonder there language has changes. (Along with all the others, eg: Australian)

I think Red-Hat Linux need better Australian English support like:
"WHAT BLOODY PARTION DO YOU WANT TO FUCKING INSTALL LINUX ON YOUR PEICE OF McShIT HARD DISK"

Things like that.

Everything in australia is heavily direct, like our road signs...
"Drowsy Drivers DIE!!!"
"If you drink and drive your a bloody idiot"
"SPEED KILLS"

No wonder i get called the most abusive mod on the forum  :D  (and always will be, i will fight for that name)

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #49 on: 11 October 2002, 20:46 »
you were the first person i ever saw on these forums to actually use the word CUNT! which you did three times in one day, within a week of arriving here!  :D

as i had just come back from australia a few months before, i was missing the direct australian approach to things!

i agree, i liked 'if you drink and drive you're a bloody idiot'.

re: australian english, appart from dialect words, like crook, bog, sheila, dag and so on, which are mainly english words with new or changed meanings, australian english is actually just the same as standard english (not 'queen's english', a stupidly pliant and useless concept). More recently though, and no doubt due to Microsoft, who seem to think australian english is the same as "US English" (yeah, like such a thing exists, if it's not 'English', then it should be called "American" or something), i have noticed that australian english has just been changing all its spellings to be the same as the americans. The current sociopolitical bent in australia seems to be to suck the US's dick at every turn (if you follow politics), so it's not surprising that the language should follow.

Sorry, X11, i didn't mean to be insulting, i just kind of veered off track from talking about language. No offence intended. Yer a bloody good bloke.  :D
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #50 on: 12 October 2002, 15:17 »
quote:
Originally posted by void main:
Same in America. So when in Europe, to avoid confusion, I just call what are known in America, Netherlands and Belgium as fries, "pommes frites". And I prefer catsup (or curry) to mayo.        

[ October 10, 2002: Message edited by: void main ]

Its not fucken Fries its fucken chips, download "McDonalds by rodney rude" off a P2P too know what im talking about!

Gooseberry Clock

• Kudos: 0
    • http://redrangersoftware.cjb.net/
« Reply #51 on: 13 October 2002, 04:31 »
There's a very similar conversation to this one taking place here.