Author Topic: WINE, RedHat, Win 95 and AutoCad 2000  (Read 357 times)

Sleeping Dog

• Kudos: 0
WINE, RedHat, Win 95 and AutoCad 2000
« on: 26 May 2003, 12:58 »
OK.....so I'm back and been gone awhile.

Had major work to do.

Now have an AMD K6-2 550 box that will not load Win98 but will load Win 95.  It has 128 Meg of memory and is relatively (for Windoows) stable.

I have formatted the 10 GIG (hda) into five 2 GIG
FAT16 partitions and am running the RedHat stuff
on hdb.

This old bubba is sharing a broadband connection with several other boxes running a variety of OS's.

Again, i have Windows apps (Photoshop, AutoCad, etc.) that I want to run under Linux.

I have been on the WINE site and it is almost good, but it does not address the limitations and trepadations felt by the average "Joe" who is trying to comfortably move out of Window world.

Too frequently the "Linux Geeks" try to intimidate those of us who just want an alternative to Redmond.  What is wrong with the idea of "User Friendly".  Hey cummon'.......we don't all write code for a living.

Most computer users these days do not relate to a "command line".  (I do.  I am an old fart that has been around since before 8088 technology.)  But we need "Friendly Usability" in Linux.....especially when it comes to network intergration.

Any well fed primate can now call themselves an MCSE (Minesweep Consultant and Solitare Expert) because Redmond has made Networking a no-brainer.
Of course, having a brain and being a Unix/Linux admin only has value if it is construed as difficult, however, that makes it more difficult to "spread the Gospel" if you know what I mean.

But......I rant.

Anyway...The more apps we can run under Linux the better.....Whether they are MAC, PC, UNIX I don't care as long as they work.

There are really very few new apps now anyway.  There is the same old stuff but they have moved the buttons, commands and pull downs to a different place in the new releases.

Cheers and Beers

Sleeping Dog

suselinux

• Kudos: 30
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2003, 13:30 »
Wine has its limitations

Frankly I cant get anything to work in it.

but as far user friendly I think Red hat, Mdk, SuSE
are defenitly on the right track

especially SuSE

The general KDE control Center isn't very good for system config  but YAST is

MDK control center isn't to bad either but I had a hard time configuring GRUB in it

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2003, 14:49 »
I got Trillian and Total Commander to work in Wine. Until Gaim can transfer files and can invite users in a MSN conversation, I'll be using Trillian.

suselinux

• Kudos: 30
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2003, 23:17 »
quote:
Originally posted by Refalm:
I got Trillian and Total Commander to work in Wine. Until Gaim can transfer files and can invite users in a MSN conversation, I'll be using Trillian.

Look for a program called Kopete (came bundled with SuSE 8-8.2)

The latest version (the one in SuSE 8.2)
Works great with MSN, AOL, and ICQ (I don't use ICQ though)

you can transfer files with it as well

The transfers can be to and from microsoft systems (MSN Messenger, or just another Kopete user)

Im almost posative that it comes with KDE 3.1

emh

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2003, 02:23 »
Sleeping Dog,

You might want to take a look at Codeweaver's Crossover Office.  The latest version now supports Photoshop.  I have a copy, and it works real well with many applications, not just the ones listed as supported.  Although at this time, they don't claim to support AutoCAD.  I guess you could try it and see what happens...

http://www.codeweavers.com