Author Topic: fuckmicrosoft.com is just great!  (Read 670 times)

ravensoft

• Kudos: 0
fuckmicrosoft.com is just great!
« on: 10 September 2002, 21:32 »
I didn't know where to post this thread, so I just put it into "Windows Operating Systems". I found out about this page about 3 days ago... and I thikt it's a very cool place on the web.
I'm a student using primarily Mac OS X on my PowerBook and also SuSE and Debian Linux on my Webserver and Firewall Systems, unfortunately there is also a Windows PC but I'm currently thinking about a new Linux based workstation because I definitely want to clean my room of any Windows PCs.

I try to propagate MS alternatives for about 10 years (since I was 8 years old and got my first Mac), so I fight everday against the dominance of Microsoft's operating systems and also of their filthy webbrowser.
There are too many people who don't even know that there are alternatives, the just use MS because MS ist the "makret leader" as they think.

But everyone who uses this proprietary MS "standards" (as it is very good written in your latest feature report) makes himself dependent from MS. That's the reason why I tell everybody to use other software. Moreover the way MS acts towards its competitors is just detestable (e.g. Netscape).

But enough. I think you know what I want to say... MS sucks and we have to use and to promote the alternatives, otherwise MS will sometime control the whole entertainment, communications and technology market.

Greetz, ravensoft.

Paladin9

• VIP
  • Kudos: 263
« Reply #1 on: 10 September 2002, 21:45 »
I understand.

However, instead of finding ways not to use windows, just use it when needed, and laugh at how much it sucks like i do.  I have XP on my PC and i use it a lot, but that does not mean i like it.  I think XP blows, and so do my friends(who also use xp).  I just like to have the latest, so i know how good it is(or bad if it is made by microsoft).  Dont think windows is all i have. I also have a mac with OSX (very, very, good OS) and good ol' Red Hat Linux on my PC.  

Long live Mac and Linux

To create a new standard, it takes something that's not just a little bit different; it takes something that's really new and really captures people's imagination

ravensoft

« Reply #2 on: 10 September 2002, 21:51 »
I use my Win 2000 box also only for ICQ and sometims for surfing the web. But the only MS software I have installed on it is the OS, I'm not using Office nor Media Player. Instead I surf with Netscape and I use OpenOffice, but usually I work on my Mac when I have to write or to layout something.
Programming is also very comfortable under Mac OS X. I love Project Builder for developing Java Software!

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #3 on: 10 September 2002, 15:32 »
i agree with you ravensoft. while i understand paladin's point of view, the sooner we can make the situation such that people do NOT have to be dependent on any one company, the better.

and tyhat includes apple, sun, hp and ibm too.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

trc3

• http://www.sk8mafia4life.com
« Reply #4 on: 10 September 2002, 16:02 »
Screw keeping XPoo hole around to see how much it sucks, I already know its a big steaming pile of worthless shit.

quote:
I have XP on my PC and i use it a lot

You should really quit doing that, its not good for you.

[ September 10, 2002: Message edited by: trc3 ]

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #5 on: 10 September 2002, 18:34 »
I agree with trc. The day I touch XP is the day I burst into flames.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
« Reply #6 on: 10 September 2002, 18:51 »
I can count the amount of times I have used XP on my two hands. Also every one of those times were purely for support, and suprise suprise most needed a reinstall.

[ September 10, 2002: Message edited by: Tux ]

Contains scenes of mild peril.

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
« Reply #7 on: 10 September 2002, 20:12 »
wxp is evil. first, when it dies, it quickly reboots, so i can't see who the offender was. second, for my , and my friends sake, how do i make it not look like a fisherprice toy. cuase its pretty damned ugly, and i looked. thats another thing, they messed with the control panels.
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #8 on: 10 September 2002, 22:06 »
you'll have yer work cut out, it IS a fisherprice toy...

only time i have used it is when using my flatmate's computer to connect to internet (why do i always get dumbass windoid flatmates?)

and oh yes, it is shit.

worse, sorry, by far than windows 2000, which seems to be, by sheer fluke, the best windows since maybe 3.0 or 3.1...
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
« Reply #9 on: 10 September 2002, 22:35 »
Ways to make Windows XP not look like a fisher price toy.

1. Change your Windows appearance back to classic(please don't tell me you need us to hold your hand and explain how to do this ;P).

2.Go somewhere like  http://www.themexp.org/ and download a Visual Style that you like(you have to install StylesXP to use custom visual styles. You can always use Windows Blinds and find some communities that offer WB skins, or you can even use LiteStep to get rid of the Explorer shell altogether and have something new(The LiteStep shell is completely different than Explorer). You can get different LiteStep skins too.

3. Make you own Visual Style/WindowsBlinds skin/LiteStep skin.

It isn't very hard to get rid of the crappy Luna look, really it isn't.

[ September 10, 2002: Message edited by: Zombie9920 ]

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #10 on: 11 September 2002, 07:59 »
so your tellin me that to fix my winxp box i will have to go out into the wild internet on my 28.8 modem and download some new themes.
With my KDE all i had to do was switch to dark blue colour, slick icons, kermik style in the control panel. It would be worth it to get Litestep.

oh ya... I dont really have an XP box, but i soon might (for testing purposes....a legal copy too!)
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
« Reply #11 on: 11 September 2002, 08:59 »
But, erm, isn't KDE over 100 megabytes?

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #12 on: 11 September 2002, 21:13 »
quote:
Originally posted by TheQuirk:
But, erm, isn't KDE over 100 megabytes?

It is, but it's included with the distro.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

trc3

• http://www.sk8mafia4life.com
« Reply #13 on: 11 September 2002, 12:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by Zombie9920:
Ways to make Windows XP not look like a fisher price toy.

1. Change your Windows appearance back to classic(please don't tell me you need us to hold your hand and explain how to do this ;P).

2.Go somewhere like  http://www.themexp.org/ and download a Visual Style that you like(you have to install StylesXP to use custom visual styles. You can always use Windows Blinds and find some communities that offer WB skins, or you can even use LiteStep to get rid of the Explorer shell altogether and have something new(The LiteStep shell is completely different than Explorer). You can get different LiteStep skins too.

3. Make you own Visual Style/WindowsBlinds skin/LiteStep skin.

It isn't very hard to get rid of the crappy Luna look, really it isn't.

[ September 10, 2002: Message edited by: Zombie9920 ]

Yea you can put themes on it, but it makes it run like complete shit! [yes it can get worst]  I had XPoo hole on my old x86 machine, for about a week, then I threw the cd away and went back winME [witch also sucks arse].

[ September 11, 2002: Message edited by: trc3 ]

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
« Reply #14 on: 11 September 2002, 18:35 »
I've only used XPee for three or four days on my new Omnibook until I got my modem working with Linux. What can I say about XP? It used to crash from day 1 especially when I wanted to open an MPEG file. It really sucked  :mad:  ! Oh, and whatever you do, it still looks like a fisher price toy  :D