Author Topic: No Dancing!!!  (Read 603 times)

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
No Dancing!!!
« on: 28 November 2002, 00:34 »
this is funny, apparently it is illegal to dance in London without a license.
Dancing London

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
No Dancing!!!
« Reply #1 on: 29 November 2002, 14:13 »
it's not funny.

in 1994 the criminal justice and public order act was passed due to the british public being too fucking moronic and lazy to do anything about it. it basically made everything you can do illegal. this is obviously so that if the police want to arrest someone, they can easily do it because basically, under the criminal justic and public order act, everybody is doing something illegal most of the time. gathering in a group of nine or more people is illegal, if you don't disperse as soon as a policeman tells you to for instance, and that law says you cannot be present at an event where 'repetitive beats' are being played. Doesn't that include almost all music?

this law has always been largely ignored by police forces who rightly decided that it was bullshit in practise, however it is worrying me if they are beginning to enforce the more silly aspects of this law.

The fact that this law (which is probably illegal itself under european law) has been allowed to fester since 1994 is just going to make it harder to get rid of when they start enforcing it.

apathy wins again. now i hope all those people who think apathy is such a great idea take not here. if people had stood up to this thing when it was still a white paper, it would never have been made an Act in the first place.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

xyle_one

• VIP
No Dancing!!!
« Reply #2 on: 29 November 2002, 14:41 »
well, its funny "oh my god" and not funny "haha".
i didnt know that it was the top of something that ran deeper. i cant believe that gathering in a group of nine or more is illegal!?! that cant be right..
so listening to music in groups is wrong, and so is gathering to protest it. what then can be done?

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
No Dancing!!!
« Reply #3 on: 29 November 2002, 14:57 »
That's absurd!   :eek:  Thank god I'm not in the UK any more. No offense to the forum Brits.   :D

Pissed_Macman

• VIP
  • Kudos: 0
    • http://www.macrevolution.tk
No Dancing!!!
« Reply #4 on: 29 November 2002, 15:04 »
You call that screwed up? HA! you europeans have a lot to learn about fucked up polotics.

xyle_one

• VIP
No Dancing!!!
« Reply #5 on: 29 November 2002, 15:09 »
i dont know macman, here in the "states" we still have the right to assemble (mostly, and probably not for long) and can dance to music legally (except the promoters & djs, they get jail time and fines under the "crackhouse" law)...

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
No Dancing!!!
« Reply #6 on: 29 November 2002, 15:11 »
yes it's completely absurd, and the thing is that in a liberal democracy, the british citizens have got nobody to blame but themselves. in reality of course  it's more complicated.

this law would never have been passed in an independent scotland for instance...

[edit] here's a link to the criminal justice and public order act 1994 in full if you want to make your own decisions on how restrictive it is. as you rightly point out it removes the right to peaceful protest among many other things.

[edit 2] oh yes we no longer have the right to remain silent here either.

[ November 29, 2002: Message edited by: Calum ]

visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
No Dancing!!!
« Reply #7 on: 30 November 2002, 10:08 »
is it just a mood swing, or does it appear that the people in power keep on trying to get more of a strangle hold on us,  day after day, always feeding there urge to control.
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

beltorak0

• http://www.angelfire.com/realm/beltorak
No Dancing!!!
« Reply #8 on: 1 December 2002, 21:23 »
you say mood swing, i say insight, another might say MOTO;

in short, it is not just you.

-t.
from Attrition.Org

quote:
Like many times before, Microsoft is re-inventing the wheel and opting for something other than round.

-t.

SpeeDFreaK

• Kudos: 109
No Dancing!!!
« Reply #9 on: 1 December 2002, 10:19 »
choasforages, -=they=- already have a stranglehold on us. It's known as mass media, and the RAVE act. That is pretty stupid how dancing w/o a licence is outlawed.
"George Bush says 'we are losing the war on drugs'. Well you know what that implies? There's a war going on, and people on drugs are winning it! Well what does that tell you about drugs? Some smart, creative motherfuckers on that side."  --Bill Hicks

clagh131

No Dancing!!!
« Reply #10 on: 2 December 2002, 23:28 »
Although a "slightly" modified version,..US has the "probable cause."  Which, when it comes right down to it,..gives the police the right to basically start shit anytime they feel they have "probably cause to."  What and who determines what cause is probable?  That's arguable,..but as an ex., "they" determined a grateful dead bumper sticker is "probable cause" to stop and search.  The fact I too had a badge stopped the search,..but only out of "professional courtsey",..not bc of lack of probable cause..
~Colleen