Author Topic: M1cro$0ft D3sktop licenceing drives customers away!  (Read 902 times)

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
M1cro$0ft D3sktop licenceing drives customers away!
« Reply #1 on: 18 June 2002, 13:40 »
quote:
extract:
It has been almost a year since Microsoft first introduced its Licensing 6.0 plan, which includes the controversial program called Software Assurance. That option would require users to make a contractual commitment to buying volume upgrades for its best-selling operating systems and desktop application suites ahead of time and paying an annual fee, instead of upgrading when they wanted or needed to.

"I don't like the restrictive nature of the [Software Assurance] plan, but it wouldn't make me throw out some huge investments I have in their servers either. However, let's just say I might be more open to considering some other [server] alternatives if they came along. The plan is just one more thing in the negative column on that decision," said Barry Hewitt, a LAN administrator with a large regional medical equipment distributor in Chicago.

Users who do not sign up for Software Assurance could see their upgrade costs rise anywhere from 30 to slightly more than 100 percent, according to research conducted last year by Gartner, a consultancy based in Stamford, Conn.
for those of us who don't like link-only topic starters...
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #2 on: 18 June 2002, 13:43 »
Microsoft will learn the we need enough licences let alone there ssssssshhhhhhhhhitttttttte!

"Du Hast Nicht!"
Ramstien

[ June 18, 2002: Message edited by: BOB X11 ]

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #3 on: 18 June 2002, 19:02 »
quote:
BOB X11: "Du Hast Nicht!"
Ramstien

It's actually

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #4 on: 18 June 2002, 19:33 »
you try telling your average people that. Take an umbrella and ear plugs, so you're prepared for the angry shouts, and spontaneous showers of rotten eggs and tomatoes that you will encounter.

badkarma

• VIP
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #5 on: 18 June 2002, 22:08 »
quote:

It's exctually
If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

Chooco

« Reply #6 on: 18 June 2002, 22:40 »
quote:
Originally posted by BOB X11:
"Du Hast Nicht!"
Ramstien

essen sie schiebes

para_fms

« Reply #7 on: 1 July 2002, 21:46 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum:
you try telling your average people that. Take an umbrella and ear plugs, so you're prepared for the angry shouts, and spontaneous showers of rotten eggs and tomatoes that you will encounter.

good point. for some time i've tried to enlighten people reguarding crappy software. AOL, Roger Wilco, ICQ, etc., all hugely popular stuff. sometimes, with persistance, you get a positive responce and it all seems worthwhile. most of the time you're ignored. the rest of the time you get an angry "so what, it works don't it", or similar.

the latter is due to ignorance i guess, or maybe pride, or the desire to be led by the nose and not stray too far from the "in" crowd <-- enter M$

however, the occasional conversion makes it all worth while. i'm a member of a counter-strike gaming clan and when i joined EVERYONE used ICQ. i was literaly amayzed at how many of them, over time, i've managed to steer away from the AOL crapware by turning them on to Trillian. many were hesitant at first, but after trying trill i don't think i've heard one of them complain. they have nothing but good things to say about it.

i guess the point is that people are just too damned lazy to do even the least little bit of research in order to find something better. 100% of them have to SLAPPED in the face with facts, reviews and whatever other information just to get 10% of them open their pasted shut eyes. and if you don't go about it tactfully, forget it, you get nothing accomplished.

in the trillian example the tables were not even because they are my friends. most times this is not the case however.

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
« Reply #8 on: 1 July 2002, 21:56 »
mein deutsch spreken ist nicht sehr gut
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
« Reply #9 on: 1 July 2002, 22:37 »
What CS clan are you in para
Contains scenes of mild peril.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #10 on: 1 July 2002, 22:54 »
quote:
Chooco: essen sie schiebes

K

cocoamix

« Reply #11 on: 2 July 2002, 20:03 »
Ich glaube da

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #12 on: 2 July 2002, 21:03 »
you guys are so mature! here we are talking in english about social engineering and all you can come up with is witty repartee about feces!  :D

HPC GUY

• Kudos: 101
« Reply #13 on: 2 July 2002, 22:33 »
once again microsoft fucks themselves in the ass with no vasaline. by trying to secure their customer base they lost a portion of their customer base. When will they learn that people will not respond to their licensing Gestapo tactics? they will run themselves into the ground if they keep this shit up.   :D
"if i destroyed you, i would only be perpetuating your legacy" - Me

HibbeeBoy

« Reply #14 on: 4 July 2002, 01:27 »
I think people's laziness to change is at the core of the problem. I hate my bank but do I go out and change banks ? No because I am too lazy to change and deal with the hassle of changing direct deposit, direct debit etc. I think given a bit of encouragement and once you get a bit of momentum from other users, people will start to shy away from M$. It's this out of the box "convenience" provided by  manufacturers such as Dell give you when you buy a preinstalled M$ PC that is the biggest problem. If Dell offered a Linux installed version (do they already ?) I think we would be well on the road. But the manufacturers are so tied up in this. M$ has to be stopped.
Democracy, it's like three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.