Author Topic: New Intel "Palladium" chips  (Read 936 times)

Kat

• Kudos: 0
New Intel "Palladium" chips
« on: 11 September 2002, 01:53 »
Technology - AP
Intel to Offer New Security Features
Tue Sep 10,10:14 AM ET

By MATTHEW FORDAHL, AP Technology Writer

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) - In the latest attempt to protect digital information from viruses and hackers, Intel Corp. will integrate advanced security features into its microprocessors and other hardware.
 The security features, announced Monday at the Intel's conference for developers, will be implemented in processors as early as next year, said Paul Otellini, Intel's president and chief operating officer.

Code-named LaGrande Technology, the features will create a "vault" in which data is safely stored and processed. Intel also will secure the pathways within the computer, such as between the vault and the display or keyboard.
"It's a new level of safer computing," Otellini said during a keynote addres

The company did not release many details about LaGrande but said it will work in conjunction with other hardware and software-based security efforts such as Microsoft Corp.'s Palladium.

Such technologies will not only keep hackers and viruses from infiltrating data stored or being processed on a computer but also could lock music or video files onto a particular computer, preventing unauthorized sharing.

In other developments at the conference, Intel said it will soon start selling Pentium 4 processors with a new technology that effectively tricks software into thinking it is running on two processors instead of one.

The technology, called "hyper-threading," is already in production in processors used in servers. Otellini said it will be included in Pentium 4s running at 3 gigahertz by the end of the year.

Intel also said it will continue to boost the speed of its processors. During one demonstration, a Pentium 4 set a new speed record

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #1 on: 11 September 2002, 05:03 »
quote:
Originally posted by Kat:

Such technologies will keep hackers and viruses from infiltrating data stored or being processed on a computer.

hmmmmm... something Linux has offered for quite a while.

[ September 10, 2002: Message edited by: Master of Reality / Bob ]

Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #2 on: 11 September 2002, 21:40 »
quote:
Originally posted by Kat:

"It's a new level of safer computing," Otellini said during a keynote addres

http://users.bigpond.com/tate0/docs/index.html
Read Hardsec for a new safer way of security!

trc3

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.sk8mafia4life.com
« Reply #3 on: 12 September 2002, 16:54 »
Call me crazy but I dont trust these fuckers...   Another thing, is AMD following suite and putting some sort of "vault" in their chips?

RudeCat7

• Kudos: 109
« Reply #4 on: 12 September 2002, 18:52 »
I'm sure ExEleven will be able to whip up some script to crash the Palladium too!  :D  

WARNING! Microsoft has detected unregistered copies of EULA protected software! Windows is shutting down. The police are on their way. Have a nice day!  :D
*meow!* I didn't say Linux was easier, I said it was better, Dumbass!

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #5 on: 12 September 2002, 21:09 »
"WARNING - The malicious virus known as "Windows" has been detected on your computer. This virus can cause data retrieval errors and can slow your computer down considerably. Please click 'ok' to begin removal of this deadly virus. [OK]"

That's more X11's style, although his version would be filled with reassuring spelling mistakes!  :D   :D   :D
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism