Author Topic: AMD goes the old Intel route  (Read 578 times)

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
AMD goes the old Intel route
« on: 29 September 2003, 07:47 »
Advanced Micro Devices Incorporated goes Intel route these days when it obliges end-users to acquire expensive registered PC3200 DDR SDRAM memory modules for AMD Athlon FX-51 microprocessors. The company, however, does not pin any illusions on registered memory modules, as next year it plans to launch another version of its chips with integrated memory controller supporting ordinary DDR SDRAM memory modules even in dual-channel mode.

In Fall 1999 Intel Corporation, Santa Clara, California, unveiled its Pentium III

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #1 on: 29 September 2003, 10:42 »
where's your source for processors and boards... I'd love to get that combo for that price
Go the fuck ~

Zombie9920

« Reply #2 on: 29 September 2003, 15:41 »
Are you talking about a the $300 P4 combo?
Assuming that you live in America, http://www.newegg.com is an excellent source for parts.

Great prices, excellent service and of course they are really good about their RMA policy. They are an online store that you can trust(you can trust them enough to spend $10,000 in one session).

For re-assurance, look at their reseller rating and other customer comments. It has been high throughout their whole lifetime.

http://www.resellerrating.com/seller_info.pl?seller_id=2121

The Pentium 4 you would be looking for(the 2.4c Retail) is located here at the bottom of the page(the one marked as the Top Seller). Notice how it has an average 5 star rating by over 130 people. It has alot of good comments as well.

Here is a list of motherboards that are good to pair up with it(In the search panel on the left search by the Northbridge chipset 82865PE...or if you want one with intergrated video search for the 82865G). If you are wanting to get 3.1+ ghz speeds out of the chip do not get any of the boards made by Intel because Intel doesn't put overclocking features in their BIOSes. The motherboard prices have actually dropped, your going to get a better deal than I did originally. When looking at the motherboards, pay attention to the memory capability. Some of the baords have a Single Channel DDR controller...you don't want one of those. You want one that has a Dual Channel DDR  capable controller(Memory in a Dual Channel setup for that P4 [email protected] compared to the 3.2GBps of the Ram in Single Channel).  ;P

Of course, if you don't have any Ram for it you should get 2 identicle sticks of PC3200 DDR-Ram so you can use the system in Dual Channel DDR mode(if you want 256MB go with 2x128 sticks, if you want 512MB go with 2x256MB sticks, etc.). Crucial makes some good reliable Ram. They don't have ridiculous prices for their stuff either. 2x128MB sticks of Crucial PC3200 will put you about $30 over $300, but that still isn't bad. Remember though, it is important that you purchase 2 of the exact same sticks(by the same manufacturer, same part #, etc.) because 2 different sticks of the same size will not work properly in Dual Channel mode.

Anyways, you won't be disappointed.

[ September 29, 2003: Message edited by: Viper ]

Zombie9920

« Reply #3 on: 29 September 2003, 16:06 »
Oh yeah, and if you have any questions regarding the assembly, overclocking configuration, or just any general hardware question visit me and the other helpful folk at http://www.forumplanet.com/planethardware or
http://www.thinkhardware.com/forum/

You are always sure to find somebody helpful at those places.

[ September 29, 2003: Message edited by: Viper ]

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #4 on: 29 September 2003, 23:16 »
freakin' awesome.

I'll have to buy some new RAM, but all my other bits will work fine. I've got a mediocre 20GB ATA66 hard drive that'll suffice until I can get something better, and a GeForce 440MX that I think will be more than plenty for video :)

Now to start looking at awesome cases...

I love what this guy's done...

Colonel Sanders' Case Mod
Go the fuck ~

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #5 on: 22 October 2003, 22:57 »
ITM